WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Unagi

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Unagi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:55 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
hoos89 wrote:1Ls...we need to have a talk:

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/09/the-wors ... roup-ever/

Damn. There's even a forum selection clause.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:49 pm

I wonder if that shit had to be signed in blood too.

Too good.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 pm

it sounds like the 1L class is more gunner in general (setting aside that contract as an isolated incident) than usual just based on what my friends are telling me about them....What say the rest of you 2L's and 3L's? Maybe it's just a function of there being more students in the class? What's the official count like 280?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:44 pm

I've heard the same said about the current 2L class, and I wouldn't be surprised if people thought my class was a bunch of gunners. It could just be that 1Ls always seem like (are) gunners, but I've never heard of someone trying to get people to sign an NDA for a study group before.

Also, c/o 2014 and 2013 were huge too.
Last edited by hoos89 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:53 pm

hoos89 wrote:I've heard the same said about the current 2L class. It could just be that 1Ls always seem like (are) gunners, but I've never heard of some one trying to get people to sign an NDA for a study group before.

Also, c/o 2014 and 2013 were huge too.

yeah i remember the 3L's saying that my class was pretty bad and they weren't like that when they were 1L's. You think it's just a case of 1L's always being more gunnery in the eyes of 2L's/3L's? I personally think it gets more competitive every year as applicants become more aware of the job market. I don't think the C/O 2013/2014 were as aware when they were first years...I also suspect the now-common-practice of giving full rides to a huge chunk of the incoming class leads to a broader range of personalities that will probably include more aggressive students.

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:59 pm

cusenation wrote:it sounds like the 1L class is more gunner in general (setting aside that contract as an isolated incident) than usual just based on what my friends are telling me about them....What say the rest of you 2L's and 3L's? Maybe it's just a function of there being more students in the class? What's the official count like 280?

It doesn't matter if people are outward gunners in class or not. There is always going to be a high percentage of students who work really hard and bust their ass, even if they are not in visible study groups or raising their hands at every question in class.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:10 pm

WheatThins wrote:
cusenation wrote:it sounds like the 1L class is more gunner in general (setting aside that contract as an isolated incident) than usual just based on what my friends are telling me about them....What say the rest of you 2L's and 3L's? Maybe it's just a function of there being more students in the class? What's the official count like 280?

It doesn't matter if people are outward gunners in class or not. There is always going to be a high percentage of students who work really hard and bust their ass, even if they are not in visible study groups or raising their hands at every question in class.

Yes but I was speaking more about the interpersonal aspects, not so much abt how hard they're actually working. Sounds like there's more politicking

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:47 pm

I got 270.

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:00 pm

I love this thread. Thanks a lot guys.

I have a question about clinics. I am hoping to get in for the class of 2018 and am really interested in a couple of clinics. I'm concerned that they are limited to 4-8 students per semester. Do any of you guys have experience with missing out on clinics or know how hard it is to get the clinics you want?

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:46 am

regulartime wrote:I love this thread. Thanks a lot guys.

I have a question about clinics. I am hoping to get in for the class of 2018 and am really interested in a couple of clinics. I'm concerned that they are limited to 4-8 students per semester. Do any of you guys have experience with missing out on clinics or know how hard it is to get the clinics you want?

I've never heard of any of my friends not getting their first choice clinic. I *think* if you are a 3L you get priorities over the 2L's but I am not certain. I filled the application for clinics for 2L year with one sentence and I got my first choice. If you really want a clinic, I imagine that going and talking to the person that runs that clinic will almost certainly get you in. I have *never* heard of anyone, ever, really wanting a clinic and not getting it. Disclaimer: anecdotal.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20 pm

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:13 pm

I've never heard of anyone not getting what they wanted 3L year.

I personally wrote 1 page about the clinic I was interested in and why I wanted to do it. Both because it's not hard to write a page about something you actually want to do and because on the off chance that it was going to be competitive I've shown I care more than someone that wrote a sentence.

But yes, the consensus is that writing a sentence or two is enough.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Keep in mind that some clinics have a GPA cut-off.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Unagi wrote:Keep in mind that some clinics have a GPA cut-off.

Ooooohhhhh fancy

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:57 pm

sublime wrote:

Really? Which ones? I just didn't know that.

The judicial clerkship externship - 3.40
Maybe this is the only one?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Unagi wrote:
sublime wrote:

That doesn't seem to fall into the definition of clinic. That's just an externship. But I duno how the course catalog names it or whatever.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:06 pm

i'm pre 4.0 scale so I don't understand what a 3.4 even means.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:10 pm

3.4 = 85

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:09 am

Yeah, I know it has an externship on its name, but I guess it also counts as a clinic. At least it is listed on the website as a "clinical opportunity". http://law.wustl.edu/clinicaled/pages.aspx?id=6898

The cutoff is not high but I still know people that wanted to do it and were denied the opportunity because of their GPA. That's why I thought it was worth pointing that out.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:37 am

fl0w wrote:
Unagi wrote:
sublime wrote:

That doesn't seem to fall into the definition of clinic. That's just an externship. But I duno how the course catalog names it or whatever.

What do you mean "just" an externship? I mean...when people ask about clinical opportunities at Wash U, I doubt they're separating out externships. They're similar experiences except there is no classroom component for externships and they are CR/NC instead of modified pass/fail. You apply for externships in the same manner and at the same time as clinics, and both count the same way when determining your priority for clinics (e.g. if you've done an externship 2L, you will still get lower priority when applying for a clinic as a 3L).

Also, I'm pretty sure the clerkship externship is the only clinic/externship with a GPA requirement.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:53 pm

hoos89 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

What do you mean "just" an externship? I mean...when people ask about clinical opportunities at Wash U, I doubt they're separating out externships. They're similar experiences except there is no classroom component for externships and they are CR/NC instead of modified pass/fail. You apply for externships in the same manner and at the same time as clinics, and both count the same way when determining your priority for clinics (e.g. if you've done an externship 2L, you will still get lower priority when applying for a clinic as a 3L).

Also, I'm pretty sure the clerkship externship is the only clinic/externship with a GPA requirement.

uhh.. i literally just meant it is an externship, not a clinic. an externship is work for a judge. a clinic is not. Nobody equates the two in industry.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Externship is not just work for a judge. There's also the USAO externship (among others).

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:35 pm

hoos89 wrote:Externship is not just work for a judge. There's also the USAO externship (among others).

wasn't aware wustl had USAO externship or that USAO called them externships. But since this was called a judicial externship, i assumed it was for a judge.

But regardless, both types of externships are work done for a supervisor that is not in the law school right? Thus being different from clinics.

Anyway my point was just that clinics and externships are not the same.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”