WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KanyeShrug

Silver

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by KanyeShrug » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:54 am

Randomnumbers wrote: Take days off. Take weekends off. Hell, take weeks off. Yes, even during 1L first semester. It will be far better for your grades then not doing so.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:02 pm

gk101 wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:Badawi, Mandelker, and Goldwasser. Go.

I'd appreciate insights about any or all of them. Also, overall, should I anticipate a difficult first semester?
I had Badawi for corporations. Really enjoyed his class. The exam was a straight forward issue spotter without any hiding the ball bullshit.
Good to know. Thanks!

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:04 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:I think that's a bit much for Mandelker. I went in with my class notes, a case list (every case sorted by topic, 1 or 2 bullets identifying specific rule and description, indexed to both the pages in the case book and my notes), and a statute list for those statutes he put up on the projector. During the exam, read the question, find the case relevant to the question, and you've got your notes and the casebook page ready to go.

Main thing is, do not overprepare- spend most of your time on the other classes b/c that's where extra preparation with the more subtle areas of the law can actually help distinguish yourself from your peers. With Mandelker, there's no room for in depth analysis- you have to show him you know what he's asking and what the relevant case law is, period. It's actually kinda like the bar exam in that respect (save the 300 word limit and the fact that he doesn't touch on 90% of the property law on the bar exam. But that 1 con law takings question, you'll nail it. Nolan and Dolan motherfuckers). Just pay attention in class, spend the 2 days before the exam preparing, and know that it will be the most relaxing 3 hour exam you ever take in law school. Then enjoy your semi-random grade.
Thanks so much for the advice!
Last edited by theycallmefoes on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:05 pm

jdmonkey wrote:+1. I wouldn't write anything down on his exam until you go through your case book index. Using this method you can immediately narrow down which case you want to use to 2 to 3 just by topic area before even looking at your outline. Also don't be embarrassed to take pics of his slides in class that contain statutes using your phone. He applauds people for doing this and it isn't being a gunner, it is essential for you or a friend u trust to have photos of the statutes. You can bet your life he will test them and the people without the pics will pay a heavy price.
Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely do that.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:07 pm

hoos89 wrote:Badawi doesn't allow laptops. The others do. Pay attention to what Badawi says in class. If he takes time to talk about how he thinks something is interesting, write it down because there's a pretty good chance it will be on the exam.
Thanks for the info and advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:12 pm

This may have been covered already, but what's the process for law review selection? Specifically, do all interested students participate in the write-on, or do some students grade-on directly?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:50 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:This may have been covered already, but what's the process for law review selection? Specifically, do all interested students participate in the write-on, or do some students grade-on directly?
There is a write on for journals after 1L finals, you list your preference in order 1-4. Top 10% grade on to Law Review with a good faith effort, of course there isn't any way to know if you'll be top 10% before write-on anyway without an entire semester of grades.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:52 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:This may have been covered already, but what's the process for law review selection? Specifically, do all interested students participate in the write-on, or do some students grade-on directly?
There is a write on for journals after 1L finals, you list your preference in order 1-4. Top 10% grade on to Law Review with a good faith effort, of course there isn't any way to know if you'll be top 10% before write-on anyway without an entire semester of grades.
+100 .... :cry:

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:56 pm

At my undergrad, we were able to charge our textbooks to our student accounts and settle the bill later. Do we have that option at WUSTL?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:19 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:At my undergrad, we were able to charge our textbooks to our student accounts and settle the bill later. Do we have that option at WUSTL?
Don't think so. They want your cold hard dollars.

Pro Brono

New

Post by Pro Brono » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Last edited by Pro Brono on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mann124

New

Post by mann124 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:19 am

best burger in st. louis?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:33 pm

mann124 wrote:best burger in st. louis?
Probably Bailey's downtown.
I've also heard good things about Five Bistro in South City, and 5 Star in Clayton.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mann124

New

Post by mann124 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks, gonna check em out.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:58 pm

goldeneye wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:At my undergrad, we were able to charge our textbooks to our student accounts and settle the bill later. Do we have that option at WUSTL?
Don't think so. They want your cold hard dollars.
You can buy your textbooks with 'bear bucks' which you use with your student ID. They just get charged to your student account, and can be used for many eatery options also. Mostly they are just convenient to use on the vending machines around campus, or if you run out of money at the end of the semester. You add them to your account by going to webstac and then, I believe, campus card.

nys

New

Post by nys » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 am

Am I correct in assuming the 2013 selected standards on professional responsibility and the 11th edition of the casebook (2011) for Pratzel's class will be sufficient? It's way cheaper than the 2014 standards and the 12 edition of the casebook.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:10 am

nys wrote:Am I correct in assuming the 2013 selected standards on professional responsibility and the 11th edition of the casebook (2011) for Pratzel's class will be sufficient? It's way cheaper than the 2014 standards and the 12 edition of the casebook.
Yes. Just get a barbri or Kaplan book and do all the practice problems about 2 weeks before the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Renting vs. buying textbooks?
Last edited by theycallmefoes on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Renting is generally the better option. You will never use your casebooks again after the exam.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:35 pm

hoos89 wrote:Renting is generally the better option. You will never use your casebooks again after the exam.
Thanks for the input. Are any of the 1L classes 2 semesters? I want to make sure I won't need any of the books in the spring.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:53 pm

So, Mandelker's final is apparently a take-home exam. Is this different from previous years? If not, how much time will we be given to complete the exam?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Renting is generally the better option. You will never use your casebooks again after the exam.
Thanks for the input. Are any of the 1L classes 2 semesters? I want to make sure I won't need any of the books in the spring.
Legal Practice and Legal Research are two semesters. I'm not sure how much you really need the books though. I don't remember using them at all. Except the Blue Book. Buy one of those and keep it.

theycallmefoes wrote:So, Mandelker's final is apparently a take-home exam. Is this different from previous years? If not, how much time will we be given to complete the exam?
No, it was always a 3 hour in-school exam.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:25 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:So, Mandelker's final is apparently a take-home exam. Is this different from previous years? If not, how much time will we be given to complete the exam?
I didn't take it, but I believe his land use take home exam was 8 hours, 30k word limit. I was studying in the journal office, and a friend went into one of the editor's offices to take it...said person went straight through, no breaks (including bathroom).

So yeah, but then again, Mandelker is lazy, and I don't think he'll want to read 90 30k word exams.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:10 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
I didn't take it, but I believe his land use take home exam was 8 hours, 30k word limit. I was studying in the journal office, and a friend went into one of the editor's offices to take it...said person went straight through, no breaks (including bathroom).

So yeah, but then again, Mandelker is lazy, and I don't think he'll want to read 90 30k word exams.
Thanks for the input. Also, derp - the syllabus actually says that we will have 8 hours for the exam. RC!fail. DX As far as the word limit goes, it'll be 5 questions, limited to 300 word answers.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:

Thanks for the input. Also, derp - the syllabus actually says that we will have 8 hours for the exam. RC!fail. DX As far as the word limit goes, it'll be 5 questions, limited to 300 word answers.
hahaha he wanted to do take-home with my class but so many people protested that he switched it back to in-class. But a 8 hour take-home exam for 1500 words??? Interested to see how that distribution looks when it's over lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”