WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
bulinus
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bulinus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:15 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
bulinus wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:What about an international student bringing their car from Canada? I didn't even think of what I may have to go through


Well, for one, you're going to have to swap out the engine for one that runs on gas and not maple syrup.

get really good at converting miles to kilometers and vice versa

in all seriousness, i have no idea. Gut tells me that there's probably something u have to do...deeper gut tells me that you'll probably be okay if u don't. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who will surely struggle in ethics next term.


I'm from Quebec so if anyone asks me any questions I plan on just pretending I don't know English and scaring them off. That should work well enough


There are many emotions Americans feel when someone disregards our rules and responds in French, but fear is not one of them.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:18 pm

bulinus wrote:There are many emotions Americans feel when someone disregards our rules and responds in French, but fear is not one of them.

175

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby njdevils2626 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:24 pm

bulinus wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:I'm from Quebec so if anyone asks me any questions I plan on just pretending I don't know English and scaring them off. That should work well enough


There are many emotions Americans feel when someone disregards our rules and responds in French, but fear is not one of them.


Okay, not scaring them off, more just assuming they'll be too lazy to deal with it

User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 pm

hoos89 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:I've heard WUSTL has a strong alumni network and New York was your third largest market. Any truth to this? Up against a deadline deciding where to transfer; leaning towards WUSTL because of a scholarship :)


Where did you hear this? Im not sure how you would classify "strong," but it certainly pales in comparison to, say, Columbia when it comes to pretty much any city besides St Louis. Don't come here expecting to land a firm job in NYC, especially if you aren't very highly ranked at your current school. Do you have ties to St Louis? Where is your current school located, and do you have ties there?


No ties to St Louis. Currently at Richmond, no real ties there. Grew up in DC. Ranked top 1/3.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:58 pm

I'd probably stay put, honestly. Top 1/3 here doesn't do great, especially without ties to STL, and employers will treat you as top 1/3 at Richmond. Why WUSTL, anyway?

Randomnumbers
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Randomnumbers » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:39 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
bulinus wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:What about an international student bringing their car from Canada? I didn't even think of what I may have to go through


Well, for one, you're going to have to swap out the engine for one that runs on gas and not maple syrup.

get really good at converting miles to kilometers and vice versa

in all seriousness, i have no idea. Gut tells me that there's probably something u have to do...deeper gut tells me that you'll probably be okay if u don't. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who will surely struggle in ethics next term.


I'm from Quebec so if anyone asks me any questions I plan on just pretending I don't know English and scaring them off. That should work well enough


I'd check with your insurance company though. If there is a lien holder, sometimes taking the vehicle to a different country gets weird.

User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:37 pm

hoos89 wrote:I'd probably stay put, honestly. Top 1/3 here doesn't do great, especially without ties to STL, and employers will treat you as top 1/3 at Richmond. Why WUSTL, anyway?


Not super happy with Richmond. Waiting to hear from journals. WUSTL offered me 20k which covers the change in tuition. Plus COL is lower. No desire to stay in Richmond after graduation.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:54 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:I'd probably stay put, honestly. Top 1/3 here doesn't do great, especially without ties to STL, and employers will treat you as top 1/3 at Richmond. Why WUSTL, anyway?


Not super happy with Richmond. Waiting to hear from journals. WUSTL offered me 20k which covers the change in tuition. Plus COL is lower. No desire to stay in Richmond after graduation.


Do you want to be in STL, though? I can't understate how much firms here care about ties. Have you considered other schools? It's certainly not too late to apply to most schools.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:57 pm

..

User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:55 pm

hoos89 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:Not super happy with Richmond. Waiting to hear from journals. WUSTL offered me 20k which covers the change in tuition. Plus COL is lower. No desire to stay in Richmond after graduation.


Do you want to be in STL, though? I can't understate how much firms here care about ties. Have you considered other schools? It's certainly not too late to apply to most schools.


STL is not really my target market. I'd like east coast. Career center said most students don't stay in STL. I'm in at Emory and deposited at GW. Really not feeling the tuition and COL at GW. Emory seemed on par with WUSTL. If I get into GULC, I'd go there.

Thanks for your help btw

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Coming to WUSTL with plans of going back east is not a winning strategy. Your grades are unlikely to get you many (if any) interviews at any of the interview programs WUSTL participates in, or OCI. Emory, GW, and GULC would all be better bets, although you should obviously be wary of your debt load. That said: wherever you go, you will still go through 2L OCI as someone whom employers evaluate as top 1/3 at Richmond.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby goldeneye » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:54 pm

WUSTL v. Richmond at the same price I say WUSTL all day. Lay prestige is higher for when you are looking for any job if you don't get OCI.

POOP BANDIT
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby POOP BANDIT » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Anybody know if we'll get write on results before bids are due?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 pm

POOP BANDIT wrote:Anybody know if we'll get write on results before bids are due?


Yes.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:56 pm

..

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:46 pm

http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdo ... lehour.htm

These schedules do not account for any personal calls at work, training/observing, talking with coworkers, a longer lunch (to exercise or Christmas shop perhaps), a family funeral, any pro bono work (if not treated as billable hours), serving on a Bar committee, writing an article for the bar journal, or interviewing an applicant.

Well shit.

/pre-OCI panic

middlemarch
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby middlemarch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:06 am

apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but what biglaw firms attend OCI? just curious. i feel like this information, in general, would be useful for a bunch of law schools...

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:42 am

cusenation wrote:http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdoadvice_truthaboutthebillablehour.htm

These schedules do not account for any personal calls at work, training/observing, talking with coworkers, a longer lunch (to exercise or Christmas shop perhaps), a family funeral, any pro bono work (if not treated as billable hours), serving on a Bar committee, writing an article for the bar journal, or interviewing an applicant.

Well shit.

/pre-OCI panic

Those billable hour examples were actually pretty helpful. Biglaw would be easily manageable if you just got to follow the hours listed in these examples, but too bad things aren't really in your control.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
cusenation wrote:http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdoadvice_truthaboutthebillablehour.htm

These schedules do not account for any personal calls at work, training/observing, talking with coworkers, a longer lunch (to exercise or Christmas shop perhaps), a family funeral, any pro bono work (if not treated as billable hours), serving on a Bar committee, writing an article for the bar journal, or interviewing an applicant.

Well shit.

/pre-OCI panic

Those billable hour examples were actually pretty helpful. Biglaw would be easily manageable if you just got to follow the hours listed in these examples, but too bad things aren't really in your control.

Yeah the thing that freaked me out wasn't the sample schedules, just the thought of billing those hours on a very irregular/unpredictable schedule

middlemarch wrote:apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but what biglaw firms attend OCI? just curious. i feel like this information, in general, would be useful for a bunch of law schools...

PM which cities you want to know about, too lazy to go through and type in all the participating firms. I'm not sure how much it'll help though. Whether or not the attendance of a particular firm (or group of firms) is relevant to you depends on how well you did your 1L year. Knowing Sullivan & Cromwell is coming to OCI as an 0L doesn't mean anything until you get top top grades after your 1L year

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:51 am

I think I'd be most scared of spending all day at work doing relatively little, and then getting an assignment at 6pm and having to spend the whole night doing it. Repeat ad nauseam.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:27 am

scottidsntknow wrote:I think I'd be most scared of spending all day at work doing relatively little clearing your plate for the weekend, and then getting an assignment at 6pm and having to spend the whole night doing it. Repeat ad nauseam.


This is basically how biglaw works. Went to vegas to celebrate passing the bar having made sure to actually work ahead of schedule. Came back and got slammed so hard on monday that I had to work 36 hours straight.

Cleared my plate so I could see my friends at happy hour on friday. Got email at 8pm on friday asking me to work over the weekend. I'm basically just thankful it wasn't asking me to go home and work immediately because I was already drunk and that would have been awkward.

Edit: honestly I look forward to weekends sometimes so that I can bill an extra 4-6 hours uninterrupted by any emails from senior associates or partners derailing my flow.

User avatar
Dredd_2017
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:24 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Dredd_2017 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:14 am

fl0w wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:I think I'd be most scared of spending all day at work doing relatively little clearing your plate for the weekend, and then getting an assignment at 6pm and having to spend the whole night doing it. Repeat ad nauseam.


This is basically how biglaw works. Went to vegas to celebrate passing the bar having made sure to actually work ahead of schedule. Came back and got slammed so hard on monday that I had to work 36 hours straight.

Cleared my plate so I could see my friends at happy hour on friday. Got email at 8pm on friday asking me to work over the weekend. I'm basically just thankful it wasn't asking me to go home and work immediately because I was already drunk and that would have been awkward.

Edit: honestly I look forward to weekends sometimes so that I can bill an extra 4-6 hours uninterrupted by any emails from senior associates or partners derailing my flow.

One question I've wondered for a long time is how much this truly varies between practice areas within a firm. I assume V20 NYC you're going to be slammed constantly no matter your group, but outside of that is it relatively smooth sailing being a Trust & Estates or ERISA guy? Is that an avenue you can actively pursue as a summer or first year?

Even if the partnership prospects are poor, few people make partner in any case and if you're going to stick it out for 3-6 years might as well pick an easier group right?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:19 am

It's not like firms are hiring a ton (if any) new associates for those types of practice areas. I would be very careful about expressing interest in Trusts & Estates in an interview.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm

hoos89 wrote:It's not like firms are hiring a ton (if any) new associates for those types of practice areas. I would be very careful about expressing interest in Trusts & Estates in an interview.


They in fact do not hire for those positions. What happens is you start as general corporate, get your ass handed to you for a couple of years, then you might be able to specialize if there is need in the group, or lateral into another firm who is hiring for that group.

Also litigation vs corporate are different lives. You get slammed in both but in different ways.
Corporate you are basically on-call. You will have to drop everything and then not sleep for the course of a "deal" and then when it's done you go do bottles and models and rest for a few days.

Litigation ebbs and flows. When it's busy you can't breathe. When it's slow you have anxiety that you aren't going to be making your hours. But it balances out. Until something goes to trial. Then you are slammed so hard that you take a week off after the trial is over because you are useless by the time it's over.

If you manage to get into a niche group like employee benefits or something then you work 9-5 and you bitch anytime you work past 7pm. I still don't understand how they maintain this lifestyle and hit their billables. They may have a different payscale and billable target... that's all that makes sense to me.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:16 pm

fl0w wrote:Corporate you are basically on-call. You will have to drop everything and then not sleep for the course of a "deal" and then when it's done you go do bottles and models and rest for a few days.


Fuck that

fl0w wrote:Litigation ebbs and flows. When it's busy you can't breathe. When it's slow you have anxiety that you aren't going to be making your hours. But it balances out. Until something goes to trial. Then you are slammed so hard that you take a week off after the trial is over because you are useless by the time it's over.

fuck that too

Should have gotten a B.S. so IP would have been on the table.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest