WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:34 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:1L cutoffs are out.

Mainly posting to admit my shame for still caring about cutoffs as a graduate.

But still want them NAO.

I was kind of surprised that the registrar said they'd be out by tomorrow.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

But still want them NAO.

1% - 4.00
5% - 3.91
10% - 3.84
15% - 3.80
20% - 3.76
25% - 3.74
33% - 3.69

Way way higher than last year's 1L class about .04 higher at most steps.
I wonder if that is related to class size, or just a more consistent grade distribution.

Randomnumbers wrote:The original cutoffs for 1L's last year:
1% = 4.00
5% = 3.88
10% = 3.84
15% = 3.81
20% = 3.75
25% = 3.71
33 1/3% = 3.68
197 students

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:57 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:

But still want them NAO.

If it makes you feel any better, I went off on a tirade today about the grade distribution in one of my classes this semester. Granted, it was completely warranted, but still.

Care to share? PM me if not. Do you think that grade will make a difference for you in the cutoffs?

hoos89 wrote:I was kind of surprised that the registrar said they'd be out by tomorrow.

Me too. But they're usually good about living up to their promises with stuff like this. The staff work long hours during these periods. God bless 'em. #TeamErker

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Birdnals wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

But still want them NAO.

1% - 4.00
5% - 3.91
10% - 3.84
15% - 3.80
20% - 3.76
25% - 3.74
33% - 3.69

Way way higher than last year's 1L class about .04 higher at most steps.
I wonder if that is related to class size, or just a more consistent grade distribution.

1% = 4.00
5% = 3.88
10% = 3.84
15% = 3.81
20% = 3.75
25% = 3.71
33 1/3% = 3.68
197 students

Forgot about them re-ranking. So pretty similar to last year actually.

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:19 am

Cellar-door wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
1% = 4.00
5% = 3.88
10% = 3.84
15% = 3.81
20% = 3.75
25% = 3.71
33 1/3% = 3.68
197 students

Forgot about them re-ranking. So pretty similar to last year actually.
Last edited by WheatThins on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

The only time they did it was last year, and apparently they won't be doing it again.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:59 am

hoos89 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:Any thought on how low my GPA can drop to keep my transfer spot? Dropped .04.

I kind of doubt that your spot is in jeopardy as a result of the drop. Although I do think it's worth reevaluating whether you would like to go (depending on what your scholarship is like at your current school, what your ties to STL are, etc) because employers will judge you as if you were at your old school.

No scholly at current school. WUSTL offered 20k which covers the change in tuition. No ties to STL, but no ties where I am. I'm thinking transferring is still my best option.

disco_stu

Postby disco_stu » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:53 pm

How quickly do the law school staff upload letters of rec to oscar? It seems like it's been more than 5 days for me.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:16 pm

disco_stu wrote:How quickly do the law school staff upload letters of rec to oscar? It seems like it's been more than 5 days for me.

Have you created a draft application?

wokenenden

Postby wokenenden » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:26 pm

I apologize if this question has already been posed/answered, but what is the protocol when taking an out of state vehicle to WashU..must one immediately register their car in MO, get MO insurance, D license, etc? Or would I be fine simply bringing my car, assuming I won't technically be considered a Missouri resident?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:29 pm

wokenenden wrote:I apologize if this question has already been posed/answered, but what is the protocol when taking an out of state vehicle to WashU..must one immediately register their car in MO, get MO insurance, D license, etc? Or would I be fine simply bringing my car, assuming I won't technically be considered a Missouri resident?

none of my friends who brought cars from out of state had to do any of that, you should be ok

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 pm

wokenenden wrote:I apologize if this question has already been posed/answered, but what is the protocol when taking an out of state vehicle to WashU..must one immediately register their car in MO, get MO insurance, D license, etc? Or would I be fine simply bringing my car, assuming I won't technically be considered a Missouri resident?

I think the 'correct answer' is that, yeah, you are supposed to get everything changed over within 60 days of moving here. It's an involved process. You get to get MO inspection, take your current title over the DMV. Also, MO charges property tax on your car every year.

I am not staying in MO any longer than I have to, so I didn't bother. I have an address from my home state that I've been able to maintain registration with. No probs so far.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:31 pm

My car didn't leave the state for over two years, even got it inspected in MO for my state's registration, no problems. So unless you're getting a MO drivers license, you should be fine.

Contrast that with Virginia, where I had to fight with them about paying sales tax on my vehicle that was in the state for 1 month...

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 am

Hey, guys!

I have previously posted here, so I will try not to repeat myself. I am planning to do LLM and I have received my final Fulbright scholarship placement at WashU with a monthly $ 1,280 stipend + some extra money at the beginning of each semester (altogether around $ 14,000 for nine months). I have couple of questions and would appreciate your help.

First and foremost, do you think it is enough for living in St. Louis? Which would be the best neighbourhood to live and what would be the most reasonable price range for the rent with my stipend? Is it possible to live with other law/LLM students or everyone just try to find apartments by their own?

Thanks!

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:08 am

Any news or timeframe on whether the admininstration decided to rerank students after transfers submit their paperwork? Would seriously help everyone, especially if they do it before mass-mailing/Off-Campus programs/EIW

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Word on the street is that reranking is not happening.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:08 pm

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm not sure how well it actually worked last semester though. It may have just confused employers, and it probably pushed a few people who were thinking of transferring out the door.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:34 am

I've heard WUSTL has a strong alumni network and New York was your third largest market. Any truth to this? Up against a deadline deciding where to transfer; leaning towards WUSTL because of a scholarship :)

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:22 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:I've heard WUSTL has a strong alumni network and New York was your third largest market. Any truth to this? Up against a deadline deciding where to transfer; leaning towards WUSTL because of a scholarship :)

According to LST, it looks like around ~10% of the class went to NY over the last few years.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:19 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:I've heard WUSTL has a strong alumni network and New York was your third largest market. Any truth to this? Up against a deadline deciding where to transfer; leaning towards WUSTL because of a scholarship :)

Where did you hear this? Im not sure how you would classify "strong," but it certainly pales in comparison to, say, Columbia when it comes to pretty much any city besides St Louis. Don't come here expecting to land a firm job in NYC, especially if you aren't very highly ranked at your current school. Do you have ties to St Louis? Where is your current school located, and do you have ties there?

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:10 pm

bulinus wrote:

I think the 'correct answer' is that, yeah, you are supposed to get everything changed over within 60 days of moving here. It's an involved process. You get to get MO inspection, take your current title over the DMV. Also, MO charges property tax on your car every year.

I am not staying in MO any longer than I have to, so I didn't bother. I have an address from my home state that I've been able to maintain registration with. No probs so far.

What about an international student bringing their car from Canada? I didn't even think of what I may have to go through

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:57 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
bulinus wrote:

What about an international student bringing their car from Canada? I didn't even think of what I may have to go through

Well, for one, you're going to have to swap out the engine for one that runs on gas and not maple syrup.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:03 pm

bulinus wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
bulinus wrote:

Well, for one, you're going to have to swap out the engine for one that runs on gas and not maple syrup.

get really good at converting miles to kilometers and vice versa

in all seriousness, i have no idea. Gut tells me that there's probably something u have to do...deeper gut tells me that you'll probably be okay if u don't. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who will surely struggle in ethics next term.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:00 pm

cusenation wrote:
bulinus wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:What about an international student bringing their car from Canada? I didn't even think of what I may have to go through

get really good at converting miles to kilometers and vice versa

in all seriousness, i have no idea. Gut tells me that there's probably something u have to do...deeper gut tells me that you'll probably be okay if u don't. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who will surely struggle in ethics next term.

I'm from Quebec so if anyone asks me any questions I plan on just pretending I don't know English and scaring them off. That should work well enough

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”