WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DoveBodyWash

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm

dat moment when all seven remaining 1L profs miss the grade submission deadline LOL. I refuse to believe it takes this long to grade LRM exams.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:23 pm

cusenation wrote:dat moment when all seven remaining 1L profs miss the grade submission deadline LOL. I refuse to believe it takes this long to grade LRM exams.

Section E looks a good bet to be the last to get our grades again. Last semester we had the last two professors (Dorothy and Smith) and we still have 3 on the board this semester.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
cusenation wrote:dat moment when all seven remaining 1L profs miss the grade submission deadline LOL. I refuse to believe it takes this long to grade LRM exams.

Section E looks a good bet to be the last to get our grades again. Last semester we had the last two professors (Dorothy and Smith) and we still have 3 on the board this semester.

haha yeah i think A is also missing three grades...All deadlines are meaningless when you have dat tenure

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 pm

I also wouldn't be surprised if the registrar has most of the grades and just hasn't entered them yet.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Considering OCI and the off campus hiring programs are totally preselect (from what some of you have said), how low do firms dip? Will you essentially end up with no interviews if you're below top third?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Considering OCI and the off campus hiring programs are totally preselect (from what some of you have said), how low do firms dip? Will you essentially end up with no interviews if you're below top third?

A lot of the firms will include their grade preferences/requirements on Simplicity so you can see whether you're precluded or not. Some firms (e.g. Cravath) say vague junk like "Applicants should be committed to excellence" or something similar.

Keep in mind that mass mailing is a huge component of the job search as well. The smaller firms or firms in smaller markets may dip lower than top third.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:06 pm

You might get a few interviews but definitely get on the mass mailing and networking train as soon as possible. The firms you've likely heard of rarely drop below the cutoffs they list because they only are taking 1 or 2 people max to bring on

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:17 pm

cusenation wrote:A lot of the firms will include their grade preferences/requirements on Simplicity so you can see whether you're precluded or not. Some firms (e.g. Cravath) say vague junk like "Applicants should be committed to excellence" or something similar.

Keep in mind that mass mailing is a huge component of the job search as well. The smaller firms or firms in smaller markets may dip lower than top third.

goldeneye wrote:You might get a few interviews but definitely get on the mass mailing and networking train as soon as possible. The firms you've likely heard of rarely drop below the cutoffs they list because they only are taking 1 or 2 people max to bring on

Thanks guys

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:00 am

We'll all need to take new bets on who'll be the last professor to get in grades. Dorothy's just went up, so he must have gotten them in yesterday.

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:03 am

Cellar-door wrote:We'll all need to take new bets on who'll be the last professor to get in grades. Dorothy's just went up, so he must have gotten them in yesterday.

-1000 One of the LRM profs

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Dat con law. RIP GPA. Time to mourn

workaholic82

Postby workaholic82 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:43 pm

cusenation wrote:Dat con law. RIP GPA. Time to mourn

Yikes, srry bro. I bet most ppl took a hit in that class.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:48 pm

workaholic82 wrote:

Well, half the people took a hit and it helped half the people. Unless con law is, for some reason, biased against otherwise high-GPAers.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Last edited by Cellar-door on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

workaholic82

Postby workaholic82 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:52 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
workaholic82 wrote:

Well, half the people took a hit and it helped half the people. Unless con law is, for some reason, biased against otherwise high-GPAers.

Good point. I feel like maybe it is. If it's difficult in a different way, it may shake off high gpa-ers who had a stride going coming in. Obv pure speculation, and prob incorrect.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm

workaholic82 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
workaholic82 wrote:

Good point. I feel like maybe it is. If it's difficult in a different way, it may shake off high gpa-ers who had a stride going coming in. Obv pure speculation, and prob incorrect.

I could definitely see that being the case. You need a pretty different mindset to do well on a con law exam than on a torts exam. I learned that the hard way on my con law midterm.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:01 pm

Haha no excuses here, I just got complacent and slacked off at the end of the year

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:45 pm

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 pm

sublime wrote:I noticed that typically the 10% cutoff drops off a bit the second semester. Do you think that is still likely to happen considering we had a lower than typical 10% cutoff first semester?

I never want to see the words "Top 10%" ever again. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm

sublime wrote:I noticed that typically the 10% cutoff drops off a bit the second semester. Do you think that is still likely to happen considering we had a lower than typical 10% cutoff first semester?

Have to think some of that was them pulling out the transfers, they tend to be in the top 10%

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:03 pm

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:04 pm

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:46 pm

sublime wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:

Have to think some of that was them pulling out the transfers, they tend to be in the top 10%

I considered that, but was hoping that the cutoffs posted on the site were pre-taking out transfers. Although I guess it would make sense for that to be wrong.

I think they only adjusted for transfers once, and I can tell you that the Spring 2013 cutoffs for my class are post-adjustment.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:51 pm

hoos89 wrote:
sublime wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:

I considered that, but was hoping that the cutoffs posted on the site were pre-taking out transfers. Although I guess it would make sense for that to be wrong.

I think they only adjusted for transfers once, and I can tell you that the Spring 2013 cutoffs for my class are post-adjustment.

Question, why do you (general question to all) think they aren't re-adjusting cutoffs this year? I don't know how the math works out, but doesn't readjusting help the remaining students?

I mean I requested a Dean's Cert, so theoretically i'd be removed and would be held to the original cutoffs, but it's not like it hurts me per se, it just doesn't give me a boost.

yankees12

Postby yankees12 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:07 pm

cusenation wrote:Question, why do you (general question to all) think they aren't re-adjusting cutoffs this year? I don't know how the math works out, but doesn't readjusting help the remaining students?

I mean I requested a Dean's Cert, so theoretically i'd be removed and would be held to the original cutoffs, but it's not like it hurts me per se, it just doesn't give me a boost.

Just speculating, but I think a lot of students who applied to transfer, but didn't, complained about the change. It sort of hurts you guys because there are now more people ranked higher than you. It's also possible that firms and other schools got annoyed and bitched at CSO (we lose the advantage if other schools start to do it or if firms get pissed off).

You're right though, I thought the adjustment was super helpful and put the remaining students in even better positions. If a firm wants someone in the top 10% and Wash U can produce 18 people in that range as opposed to 13, it seems like a win-win.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”