WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DoveBodyWash

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri May 30, 2014 5:23 pm

sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:Inazu gave out 11 A+'s? What the fucking fuck

holy shit. I hope that doesn't fuck up the cutoffs too much.

Do you think there were actually so many A+ worthy answers that Inazu had to award that many B-'s to free up points for those unicorn answers?

Or do u think there were just so many shitty answers that Inazu had a ton of points left over with which to urinate upon the rest of us who didn't have him by giving out so many A+'s shower upon the rest of the curve?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri May 30, 2014 5:43 pm

*crossing my fingers for Inazu*

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:44 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:*crossing my fingers for Inazu*

*crossing my fingers for A+ regardless of teacher*

Did I win?

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri May 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri May 30, 2014 8:35 pm

He didn't give out any 100's the semester I had him or the year before. It's either he had a section of scholars this semester, a section of idiots who made the rest look like scholars, or just a weirdly written test with a major red herring that fooled all but 8 people.

ETA, looks like he didn't give out any this semester either, just a slightly above average # of 95+'s.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Birdnals wrote:

He didn't give out any 100's the semester I had him or the year before. It's either he had a section of scholars this semester, a section of idiots who made the rest look like scholars, or just a weirdly written test with a major red herring that fooled all but 8 people.

Hmm. Well, good thing we can't choose our professors.

johnnyquest

Postby johnnyquest » Fri May 30, 2014 9:01 pm

This might have been asked and answered already, but if it has, I can't seem to find it. I am wondering about the culture of WashU. During ASD it was preached to us that there is much more cooperation than other law schools and less competition. For current students, (no bs, please be as honest as possible) please elaborate on what the culture is like in regard to the naturally competitive atmosphere of law school at WUSTL?

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Fri May 30, 2014 9:11 pm

johnnyquest wrote:This might have been asked and answered already, but if it has, I can't seem to find it. I am wondering about the culture of WashU. During ASD it was preached to us that there is much more cooperation than other law schools and less competition. For current students, (no bs, please be as honest as possible) please elaborate on what the culture is like in regard to the naturally competitive atmosphere of law school at WUSTL?

Every lawl school I talked to gave this spiel. Pretty sure it's measured against mythical standard of gunner psychopathy. I mean, what kind of behavior are you afraid of? People can be genuinely nice to you at lunch and then go home and outline circles around you because they want to book the exam.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri May 30, 2014 9:14 pm

johnnyquest wrote:This might have been asked and answered already, but if it has, I can't seem to find it. I am wondering about the culture of WashU. During ASD it was preached to us that there is much more cooperation than other law schools and less competition. For current students, (no bs, please be as honest as possible) please elaborate on what the culture is like in regard to the naturally competitive atmosphere of law school at WUSTL?

It 100% depends on your class/section. My section was awesome and most my year is at least cordial. I never felt like it was super competitive despite being surrounded by (mostly) incredible smart people.

Not all sections or classes are like that though. It's not like admissions can know from a 1-2 page personal statement and resume who is going to be a gunner douche. Anywhere you go it is going to depend on your class who you will spend 95% of your time at school/school functions with. And we can't tell you what your class is going to be like.

IMO, school-wide "culture" is BS. You hang out with people you like, you don't hang out with people you don't like, and you try to be nice to as many of your future colleague as possible. Don't start no shit won't be no shit.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 pm

I don't know if there's a distinct WUSTL culture...but coming from the east coast I def felt dat midwestern difference.

The school is in the midwest and is populated mostly by students who are from the region. The people don't try to be sharks for the sake of being sharks. To me, they seem a lot more grounded. It's not like they work any less or something, my classmates (for the most part) work hard. But it just feels more cordial to me. It's not so much about winning as it is about just doing your work.

Maybe my peers who are from the region don't see it because it's just normal life for them, but i def felt a difference as an outsider

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat May 31, 2014 11:01 am

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:41 am

Pretrial.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat May 31, 2014 11:43 am

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:46 am

Did you get on the wait list for one? There's usually a decent amount of movement on those later in the summer, although the wait lists might be too long at this point if you haven't already gotten on one. Would be worth taking a shot though.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat May 31, 2014 11:58 am

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat May 31, 2014 1:11 pm

yo elders, are the cutoffs inflated if certain profs are mad generous with their grades?

Inazu gave eleven A+'s and Drobak gave two 100's to a small section.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:37 pm

cusenation wrote:yo elders, are the cutoffs inflated if certain profs are mad generous with their grades?

Tough to say. Obviously it depends on who got what, but my guess would be that the top 1/3, 1/4, and 1/5 cutoffs will all be a bit lower than usual, while that top 1%, 5%, and maybe 10% might be a bit higher than usual.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat May 31, 2014 1:38 pm

was curious at your EIW and there are 7 employers on symplicty for the 2Ls? wtf?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:47 pm

goldeneye wrote:was curious at your EIW and there are 7 employers on symplicty for the 2Ls? wtf?

I don't think 3Ls can see a posting unless the employer is looking for 3Ls.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat May 31, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat May 31, 2014 1:47 pm

hoos89 wrote:
cusenation wrote:yo elders, are the cutoffs inflated if certain profs are mad generous with their grades?

Tough to say. Obviously it depends on who got what, but my guess would be that the top 1/3, 1/4, and 1/5 cutoffs will all be a bit lower than usual, while that top 1%, 5%, and maybe 10% might be a bit higher than usual.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Sat May 31, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat May 31, 2014 2:05 pm

hoos89 wrote:
goldeneye wrote:was curious at your EIW and there are 7 employers on symplicty for the 2Ls? wtf?

I don't think 3Ls can see a posting unless the employer is looking for 3Ls.

that would make sense. i was trying to see if they had more than we did last year so when people ask me about going to law school I can tell them but there goes that experiment.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat May 31, 2014 3:44 pm

sublime wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Did you get on the wait list for one? There's usually a decent amount of movement on those later in the summer, although the wait lists might be too long at this point if you haven't already gotten on one. Would be worth taking a shot though.

Yea, I am 3rd on the section taught by Lee. I just figured it was probably a longshot, since the sections are only 11-12. But I will continue to hope.

The section with Gary Grove only has one on the waitlist, so I may jump to that. Has anybody heard anything about him?

Growe is super awesome- knows his shit, gives out the max # of HPs usually, and straight out states in the first class that as long as you show up and turn your stuff in, you'll grab a P.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:45 pm

I guess you could ask a 2L. Cuse how many postings are there?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat May 31, 2014 4:04 pm

hoos89 wrote:I guess you could ask a 2L. Cuse how many postings are there?

65 postings. 21 of them are Resume Collects

There are some firms that are listed multiple times for different offices, for example 8 of the postings are various Bryan Cave offices

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat May 31, 2014 4:14 pm

cusenation wrote:
hoos89 wrote:I guess you could ask a 2L. Cuse how many postings are there?

65 postings. 21 of them are Resume Collects

There are some firms that are listed multiple times for different offices, for example 8 of the postings are various Bryan Cave offices

Sounds about the same as last year. 50 bids and 44 actual jobs requiring bids means that there's no need to be judicious with bids.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”