WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jdmonkey

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby jdmonkey » Thu May 08, 2014 12:03 pm

georgej wrote:Important question: Is there a cheap place to buy oranges in town? Because when I visited st. louis and went into Schnucks it was like 4 oranges for 5 bucks. I am used to 4lbs of oranges for 1dollar. Please help.

If you have a car WalMart is a 7 minute drive from the law school and obviously has groceries too. 1900 Maplewood Commons Dr Maplewood, MO 63143. My first job in high school was working in their produce dept. and can confirm that the fruit there is very real.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Thu May 08, 2014 12:23 pm

The ATL article re: the email has posted.
http://abovethelaw.com/2014/05/law-professor-doesnt-want-her-ghetto-award/?utm_source=Above%20the%20Law&utm_campaign=Above_the_Law_Daily_05_08_2014&utm_medium=email

re: Oranges
Citrus is crazy high everywhere right now due to drought and cartels.

georgej

Postby georgej » Thu May 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks guys. Sounds like Walmart wins.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Thu May 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Thoughts on Professor Law?

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Thu May 08, 2014 3:09 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:Thoughts on Professor Law?

I like him, he's amusing if sometimes a bit of a dick if he's in the wrong mood.
Important thing with him is to do the readings, as he'll pull out a 3 line note case and want to talk about it.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Thu May 08, 2014 3:21 pm

He acts intimidating, and can be downright rude. Sometimes he will go on tangents that have nothing to do with the course (Yale Law School). However just take good class notes, and study the practice exams he gives out. If you can spot the issues he wants on the practice exam you will be in good shape for his final (he gives out answer keys to the exams which is nice). His final was the closest to his practice exams of all my professors. Also show up to class even if you haven't done the reading. He claims he doesn't give passes, but if you tell him you are unprepared that is fine. If you don't show up to class he will contact the dean's office, and publicly call you out.

Despite his personality, he is a very good professor and you can expect to learn a lot. I'm actually quite happy I had him this past semester for Con Law.
Last edited by jdmonkey on Thu May 08, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu May 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Cellar-door wrote:

I like him, he's amusing if sometimes a bit of a dick if he's in the wrong mood.
Important thing with him is to do the readings, as he'll pull out a 3 line note case and want to talk about it.

He was by far my favorite professor. Not necessarily because he had favorable grading policy, (pretty sure i bombed dat final) but just because he's so frkn smart...

The "problem" is that he knows he's smart, and he's not afraid or shy about expressing exasperation when students can't keep up or miss the mark. But he was the only professor I've had so far where I was 100% alert and focused during lecture. He doesn't sugarcoat his expectations or the fact that it's survival of the fittest. Personally it was relieving compared to the paternalistic hand-holding we got some of my other profs

He's kind of cynical about the "establishment" but it was actually relieving to hear what a professor honestly thought about things as opposed to just being taught the textbook-doctrine.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu May 08, 2014 3:55 pm

cusenation wrote:He's kind of cynical about the "establishment" but it was actually relieving to hear what a professor honestly thought about things as opposed to just being taught the textbook-doctrine.

Con Law lends itself to professors sharing their opinions like that. For most of the interesting issues, there isn't really a "textbook doctrine." Some professors are just more transparent about that reality than others.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu May 08, 2014 3:55 pm

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:29 pm

Any specific apartment companies you guys recommend in the CWE?

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Thu May 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Does anyone know how long it usually takes Kim to return exam grades?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu May 15, 2014 2:35 pm

WheatThins wrote:Does anyone know how long it usually takes Kim to return exam grades?

What would your response be if I told you tomorrow? 5 days from now?

Lots of professors take FOREVER and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Sucks for sure.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Thu May 15, 2014 2:43 pm

WheatThins wrote:Does anyone know how long it usually takes Kim to return exam grades?

I heard that all the profs are supposed to submit their grades to the registrar by 6/2.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu May 15, 2014 3:31 pm

jdmonkey wrote:

I heard that all the profs are supposed to submit their grades to the registrar by 6/2.

"Supposed". Again, every year professors miss this deadline, I had one who was at least 1.5 weeks late and nothing was done. Tenure is the best

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Thu May 15, 2014 3:44 pm

goldeneye wrote:

What would your response be if I told you tomorrow? 5 days from now?

Lots of professors take FOREVER and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Sucks for sure.

Honestly, I'd stop refreshing my browser until tomorrow or until 5 days from now.

It seemed that Syverud was a stickler about professors' reporting grades on time.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:06 pm

jdmonkey wrote:

6/2 is still two and a half weeks away, and I seem to recall getting a grade back in mid-June last summer. I don't expect to get any grades for at least a week (even though Employment law was on the first Tuesday of the exam period).

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Inazu FTW. He had crimlaw done yesterday.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Thu May 15, 2014 7:10 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Inazu FTW. He had crimlaw done yesterday.

Osgood's grades are up too, not sure when they went up, I haven't been checking.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Fri May 16, 2014 3:50 pm

hoos89 wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:

6/2 is still two and a half weeks away, and I seem to recall getting a grade back in mid-June last summer. I don't expect to get any grades for at least a week (even though Employment law was on the first Tuesday of the exam period).

Peggy was my last grade 1L year...I'm not expecting that until the middle of june.

Cellar-door wrote:Osgood's grades are up too, not sure when they went up, I haven't been checking.

Osgood taught crim law to 2 super sections my 1L year, had the grades up 3 days after we took the exam. It was the longest exam we took as well...he's a fucking BEAST.

hopeful 0L

Postby hopeful 0L » Tue May 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Wondering if any current students would mind posting a rough budget of your expenses for COL; i.e. rent, utilities, parking/gas/other transportation, food, misc. ?

It'd be much appreciated

Georges_Valere_Roux

Postby Georges_Valere_Roux » Thu May 22, 2014 2:06 am

Incoming 1L here :O

Could recent 1Ls share roughly how much they spent on books, outlines, study guides, etc. for the past year? I would appreciate the insight for budgeting purposes.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Georges_Valere_Roux wrote:Incoming 1L here :O

Could recent 1Ls share roughly how much they spent on books, outlines, study guides, etc. for the past year? I would appreciate the insight for budgeting purposes.

Depends on what editions your professor assigns and if you go new or used.
Brand New versions of the newest coursebooks in your big 6 (Torts, property, Civ Pro, Contracts, Con Law, Crim) are about $180- $200 each to buy, older editions and used can get as cheap as under $50.
supplements that are required tend to be $25-$40 new.
Trade-back value varies a ton, I've gotten anything from $40 to $150 for New editions, old editions tend to have no trade value.
Only other thing I bought was a couple E&Es that I never used. Those were like $30 each.
LRW and LP have cheap $25 books each plus the bluebook which is under $40 new.

Personally I bought all brand new, and all but one professor required the new edition, I probably spent around $1200 an got about $500 of that back in Amazon credit.

You can rent also which I didn't do, prices are lower, but I'm not sure you save all that much over buying and trading back.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu May 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Perfect. WUSTL gives us $2,000 for books, so we can definitely save a bit even if we buy everything new.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:23 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Perfect. WUSTL gives us $2,000 for books, so we can definitely save a bit even if we buy everything new.

You should never spend that much on books. I rent new books from the bookstore and my typical semester is ~$300-400. Also, you could spend less if you rent used books or get books online (personally, I find other people's highlighting distracting). I think that the school overestimates the cost of everything, so you should feel safe taking out several thousand less than they recommend so long as you are reasonably responsible with money.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Fri May 23, 2014 5:17 am

hoos89 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Perfect. WUSTL gives us $2,000 for books, so we can definitely save a bit even if we buy everything new.

You should never spend that much on books. I rent new books from the bookstore and my typical semester is ~$300-400. Also, you could spend less if you rent used books or get books online (personally, I find other people's highlighting distracting). I think that the school overestimates the cost of everything, so you should feel safe taking out several thousand less than they recommend so long as you are reasonably responsible with money.

+1 about no need to spend even close to 2k on books. Also while many of the used books are highlighted, my experience is that many of these books have more sentences than not highlighted, so you can completely ignore the previous highlighting by using a darker colour. You also might get lucky and find competent notes of key points next to the cases in the case books by the previous students.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”