WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby jdmonkey » Tue May 06, 2014 1:33 pm

goldeneye wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:I agree with the Professor in declining the award. Why do they have one award for professor of the year and the other for practice professor of the year? If they are equal then one should be doctrinal prof. of year and the other practice prof. of year. Or just prof. of year. If Wash U made a commitment to her that she would be treated the same as the other profs then she has every right to be angry, cause this award is lesser. Also I think she is right about the problem of valuing doctrinal over practice. Both are just as important, and if you give lesser awards to practice profs or pay them less you are saying doctrinal is more important, which isn't the case. For an internship or a job LP and LRM are just as important as property etc.


Also the SBA should have notified the winners first before blasting an all school e-mail, which would have prevented this situation in the 1st place.


We used to have just one award but the same professors kept winning and the professors with smaller classes were never recognized. So SBA sought a way to honor those professors. It could have been done to only have professors who just teach practical classes and no overlap but oh well. Her email was completely over the top and was self indulging "at Tennessee I was professor of the year. Period." Okay good for you.

Send it to the Sba president and other faculty it doesn't need to go to everybody. And secondly, in no way is she "ghetto-ized".


You make a good point. The email was self-indulgent. By reacting in the way she did, it took away from Professor Inazu's moment to shine. Being awarded professor of the year is a huge honor, and it is unfortunate that this detracted from it.

Cellar-door
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Cellar-door » Tue May 06, 2014 1:36 pm

cusenation wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:I agree with the Professor in declining the award. Why do they have one award for professor of the year and the other for practice professor of the year? If they are equal then one should be doctrinal prof. of year and the other practice prof. of year. Or just prof. of year. If Wash U made a commitment to her that she would be treated the same as the other profs then she has every right to be angry, cause this award is lesser. Also I think she is right about the problem of valuing doctrinal over practice. Both are just as important, and if you give lesser awards to practice profs or pay them less you are saying doctrinal is more important, which isn't the case. For an internship or a job LP and LRM are just as important as property etc.


Also the SBA should have notified the winners first before blasting an all school e-mail, which would have prevented this situation in the 1st place.

lol it's very unlikely that it would have prevented the situation. This prof clearly wanted to be heard. You really think she would have quietly rejected the award if SBA had told her beforehand? (There's a good chance they did tell her beforehand)

She wanted a forum to be heard and to express her displeasure. She would have pulled this stunt no matter what.

Internal faculty politics underlie a lot of this stuff (e.g. why Tamanaha will never ever be dean of this law school no matter how awesome that would be). It's unfortunate? Sure. But it's reality. Maybe SBA will rename the award. But this is the 2nd time a clinical prof has protested the award. The clinicians weren't happy with the previous title..i think it was "Clinical Prof of the Year" or something like that. So SBA renamed it. And now they're unhappy about it again. To me this just seems like she has a chip on her shoulder.

The award clearly acknowledges that she is a professor. But it's called "Experiential" because that's precisely the nature of her teaching. We are not saying she's less important or less special or whatever. We are honoring her for the experiential aspect of her teaching, which is her clinic.

The reason SBA has a separate award designated to honor the clinical profs is BECAUSE we don't want them to be overlooked. If we didn't set aside such an award and instead had two slots for Professor of the Year, it's unlikely that the clinical profs would be honored at all. The awards would just go to two doctrinal profs every single time. Think about how many people take a single 1L doctrinal class versus the 10-20 3Ls that are in XYZ Clinic. The numbers just aren't there to make the clinicians competitive against the doctrinal profs.

ETA: Scooped by Golden Eye

ETA: Experiential PROFESSOR of the Year from WashU is so much more presTTTTigious than TEACHER of the Year at Tennessee. WHY THE DISPLEASURE?

Why was Tamanaha not on the ballot this year? I assume because if he was he would have won again and they'd like to spread the award around some.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue May 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Cellar-door wrote:Why was Tamanaha not on the ballot this year? I assume because if he was he would have won again and they'd like to spread the award around some.

Yup. The award is really just a way for us to honor the faculty evenly. Certain faculty are removed from the ballot so that everyone gets their day in the sun. Otherwise certain professors would have a monopoly on the award (e.g. Tamanaha, Drobak, Kim, etc..)

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Birdnals » Tue May 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Cellar-door wrote:Why was Tamanaha not on the ballot this year? I assume because if he was he would have won again and they'd like to spread the award around some.

Winning Professors from the last 2-3 years aren't eligible.

User avatar
Michael Bluth
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Michael Bluth » Tue May 06, 2014 1:46 pm

cusenation wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:Why was Tamanaha not on the ballot this year? I assume because if he was he would have won again and they'd like to spread the award around some.

Yup. The award is really just a way for us to honor the faculty evenly. Certain faculty are removed from the ballot so that everyone gets their day in the sun. Otherwise certain professors would have a monopoly on the award (e.g. Tamanaha, Drobak, Kim, etc..)


LOL this is pretty ridiculous, too, and probably speaks to the culture of academia that produces emails like the one in question.

That's like saying "take KD and LBJ off the ballot for NBA MVP, we want other people to win, too."

This isn't tee ball - it isn't the end of the world if everyone doesn't get their participation ribbon.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue May 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:Why was Tamanaha not on the ballot this year? I assume because if he was he would have won again and they'd like to spread the award around some.

Yup. The award is really just a way for us to honor the faculty evenly. Certain faculty are removed from the ballot so that everyone gets their day in the sun. Otherwise certain professors would have a monopoly on the award (e.g. Tamanaha, Drobak, Kim, etc..)


LOL this is pretty ridiculous, too, and probably speaks to the culture of academia that produces emails like the one in question.

That's like saying "take KD and LBJ off the ballot for NBA MVP, we want other people to win, too."

This isn't tee ball - it isn't the end of the world if everyone doesn't get their participation ribbon.

these built-in restrictions and petty faculty politics are what's holding us back from a Tamanaha regime...sigh how awesome would that be

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue May 06, 2014 2:06 pm

Regardless of the politics or the issue with the award, and the unnecessariness of two awards, it's just rude and petty to bitch about an award you've received. Just accept it or respectfully decline it.

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue May 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Also, pleased Inazu won Prof of the Year, he's a legal beast.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue May 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Are any rising 2Ls thinking of targeting Boston firms? Would be nice to have someone else to talk about this stuff with, PM me if you're out there

(Same goes with any 3Ls or recent grads that have experience with the firms in Boston)

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Tue May 06, 2014 2:51 pm

cusenation wrote:Are any rising 2Ls thinking of targeting Boston firms? Would be nice to have someone else to talk about this stuff with, PM me if you're out there

(Same goes with any 3Ls or recent grads that have experience with the firms in Boston)

there are at least a couple fairly recent alumni in that area. cso should be able to put you in touch.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 pm

There's a bunch of recent alums at Goodwin Proctor (all pre-crash, though, I think). There's also a Boston off campus interview program, but last year only 2 firms went. WUSTL doesn't have a ton of alumni at Boston firms though.

Ref
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ref » Tue May 06, 2014 9:48 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
We used to have just one award but the same professors kept winning and the professors with smaller classes were never recognized. So SBA sought a way to honor those professors. It could have been done to only have professors who just teach practical classes and no overlap but oh well. Her email was completely over the top and was self indulging "at Tennessee I was professor of the year. Period." Okay good for you.

Send it to the Sba president and other faculty it doesn't need to go to everybody. And secondly, in no way is she "ghetto-ized".


You make a good point. The email was self-indulgent. By reacting in the way she did, it took away from Professor Inazu's moment to shine. Being awarded professor of the year is a huge honor, and it is unfortunate that this detracted from it.


+1 to both of the above.

Big congrats to Inazu.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:20 am

Also, I don't understand her point about there being 2 professor of the year awards. My understanding is that she was eligible for the professor of the year award and just didn't win it. I'm also guessing that she didn't come in second. Is she suggesting that there should be a professor of the year award for which only "experiential" professors are eligible? Because that's just dumb. Almost as dumb as CC'ing the entire student body onto her petty disagreement with the name of an award that she won.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:41 pm

One of the classes I was going to take next semester got cancelled.

Anyone have an opinion on either:
UCC Article 2 with Greenfield, given that I liked Contracts? or
Patent Law with Collins, as someone without a technical background?

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby yossarian » Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm

ATL set to cover the email

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bouakedojo » Wed May 07, 2014 2:42 pm

yossarian71 wrote:ATL set to cover the email


Did you send it?

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby yossarian » Wed May 07, 2014 3:03 pm

No. Not at all. I'm a 0L and I don't really know what happened. But, Elie Mystal tweeted, "OK WashU professor. After approximately 1200 tips about your email, I'm writing it up."

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bouakedojo » Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 pm

yossarian71 wrote:No. Not at all. I'm a 0L and I don't really know what happened. But, Elie Mystal tweeted, "OK WashU professor. After approximately 1200 tips about your email, I'm writing it up."


Oh, I see. Just wondering how you knew.

Sounds like most of the student body sent it on, though.

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 pm

yossarian71 wrote:No. Not at all. I'm a 0L and I don't really know what happened. But, Elie Mystal tweeted, "OK WashU professor. After approximately 1200 tips about your email, I'm writing it up."

Look at Elie, pretending he has the luxury of choosing between numerous relevant topics.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby yossarian » Wed May 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:No. Not at all. I'm a 0L and I don't really know what happened. But, Elie Mystal tweeted, "OK WashU professor. After approximately 1200 tips about your email, I'm writing it up."

Look at Elie, pretending he has the luxury of choosing between numerous relevant topics.

You always pop into conversations at precisely the right time.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed May 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:No. Not at all. I'm a 0L and I don't really know what happened. But, Elie Mystal tweeted, "OK WashU professor. After approximately 1200 tips about your email, I'm writing it up."

Look at Elie, pretending he has the luxury of choosing between numerous relevant topics.

I'm excited for the next "LAYOFFS, YOU'RE ALL FUCKED" article that reports that some podunk firm laid-off 3 IT staff and 2 legal assistants with severance.

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed May 07, 2014 3:29 pm

yossarian71 wrote:You always pop into conversations at precisely the right time.

:wink:

cusenation wrote:I'm excited for the next "LAYOFFS, YOU'RE ALL FUCKED" article that reports that some podunk firm laid-off 3 IT staff and 2 legal assistants with severance.

"WHICH FIRM IS SLASHING ASSOCIATE AND SUPPORT POSITIONS? FIND OUT AFTER THE JUMP..."

Cellar-door
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Cellar-door » Wed May 07, 2014 4:08 pm

yossarian71 wrote:No. Not at all. I'm a 0L and I don't really know what happened. But, Elie Mystal tweeted, "OK WashU professor. After approximately 1200 tips about your email, I'm writing it up."

And by 1200 I'm pretty sure he means 2. I like that the way it is poorly phrased makes it sound like the professor is sending the tips.

Edit- Cuse, I'm pretty sure you just made ATL in the form of a paraphrase of your post in this thread. Congrats.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby yossarian » Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 pm

Yeah, very poorly written tweet for a journalist.

User avatar
georgej
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:55 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby georgej » Thu May 08, 2014 11:32 am

Important question: Is there a cheap place to buy oranges in town? Because when I visited st. louis and went into Schnucks it was like 4 oranges for 5 bucks. I am used to 4lbs of oranges for 1dollar. Please help.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: luckboxr and 1 guest