WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:42 pm

..

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 pm

sublime wrote:Yea, I know. It definitely wasn't an attack on anybody in this thread. But when the city(ies?) deliberately set it up this way for the benefits, it is hard to feel too badly about that manipulation leading to distorted per capita crime stats.

TBF it happened in 1876, so no one alive today participated in the split, and the city residents were actually the ones who voted to get rid of the county folks.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:51 pm

sublime wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:
sublime wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:I feel like I'm doing a disservice to the city and area if I don't mention the similarity to other cities. The crime rate looks bad in some neighborhoods, and there are definitely areas you don't want to wander around in looking lost at night, but using common sense goes a long way. This is true of any metropolitan area, and St. Louis is not really that bad.

I worked all over the city during all times of the day and night and I never had a problem. Don't act like a scared college kid and you will be ok almost everywhere. Just avoid late night strolls through O'Fallon Park or the Ville.



Do StL natives have to take a blood oath to say this whenever crime/dangerousness gets brought up? :lol:


I know you're joking, but seriously, STL can get the short stick in naitonal crime rating comparisons because we're dumb and only consider about 1/5 of the STL metropolitan area (and about 1/3 of the population) "the City of St. Louis". This makes the crime per capita stuff way off.

The official "City of St. Louis" is a laughably small area surrounding downtown - WUSTL campus isn't even considered in "St. Louis" and that's a 15 min drive from the Arch, which is as far downtown as you can go before the river. STL if considered as a whole instead of a wacky sample size is comparable to any other mid sized midwestern city (aka pretty darn safe) and a hell of a lot better than the Chi or Detroit.

(Rant over)



The downside of not having to pay for black children's education.


It costs the St. Louis public school district roughly $16,000 and the Kansas City public school district $15,000 to educate a student. It currently only costs the Archdiocese and the Diocese only about $5,000 per student. Moving all the students out of the failed St. Louis and Kansas City Missouri public school districts into working Catholic schools would save the Missouri tax payer about $400 million each and every year.


http://www.missourirecord.com/news/inde ... icle=10277

$16,000 a year should be plenty to educate one kid. This is not a funding problem any more than Kansas City schools had a funding problem after they spent two billion dollars on magnet schools. Whatever the problem is, it isn't inadequate funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_v._Jenkins
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-298.html

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:52 pm

sublime wrote:Yea, I know. It definitely wasn't an attack on anybody in this thread. But when the city(ies?) deliberately set it up this way for the benefits, it is hard to feel too badly about that manipulation leading to distorted per capita crime stats.


Agreed. The public education issue is probably the biggest issue of all in STL, far outweighing skewed crime stats. And I'd be willingly pay more taxes to fix it. Like I said, I'd prefer we integrate and attack these issues head on instead of doing the good ole "pass the buck" game perennially.

Also, as RB just said, the split was so long ago and actually initiated by the City - so it's not from like a modern "dump the City kids" campaign.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm

..

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:55 pm

sublime wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
sublime wrote:Yea, I know. It definitely wasn't an attack on anybody in this thread. But when the city(ies?) deliberately set it up this way for the benefits, it is hard to feel too badly about that manipulation leading to distorted per capita crime stats.

TBF it happened in 1876, so no one alive today participated in the split, and the city residents were actually the ones who voted to get rid of the county folks.



I have heard both that it happened around that time, and that it happened post Brown from a prof here. Unfortunately, I haven't delved into it enough to really know and a cursory google search wasn't all that helpful.

But regardless, it really doesn't matter at this point, as it is what it is.


And JFC Merkin, let's not shit up this thread with one of our socialism/liberalism v libertarian battles.


I just wanted to point out that your assertion that St. Louis Public Schools don't have any money is factually wrong.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Also not true anymore. With the new decertification law you can just leave your old shitty school if it gets too shitty and transfer to a new, less shitty school in the burbs.


This is deceptive in a way though. Yes, STL City residents can leave failing schools and go to the suburban school of their collective choice, bUT the City has to fund all that. The County school doesn't have to actually share the budget load. The failing school district subsequently starts paying for both the kids that stay and leave combined. That sucks for all involved.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 pm

..

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
It costs the St. Louis public school district roughly $16,000 and the Kansas City public school district $15,000 to educate a student. It currently only costs the Archdiocese and the Diocese only about $5,000 per student. Moving all the students out of the failed St. Louis and Kansas City Missouri public school districts into working Catholic schools would save the Missouri tax payer about $400 million each and every year.


http://www.missourirecord.com/news/inde ... icle=10277

$16,000 a year should be plenty to educate one kid. This is not a funding problem any more than Kansas City schools had a funding problem after they spent two billion dollars on magnet schools. Whatever the problem is, it isn't inadequate funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_v._Jenkins
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-298.html


This is interesting. Idk wtf is going on if funding isn't the problem though...

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:01 pm

hi.

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Also not true anymore. With the new decertification law you can just leave your old shitty school if it gets too shitty and transfer to a new, less shitty school in the burbs.


This is deceptive in a way though. Yes, STL City residents can leave failing schools and go to the suburban school of their collective choice, bUT the City has to fund all that*. The County school doesn't have to actually share the budget load. The failing school district subsequently starts paying for both the kids that stay and leave combined. That sucks for all involved.

*Except when they don't feel like it. Normandy basically said, "No thanks, we're good," when handed the bill for their lost students.

I won't throw my political ideology into the ring here because I also don't want to derail this thread, but let's just say I have some very fiery opinions on these matters and some of you would be angry at me.

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Very angry indeed.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby yossarian » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Yeah! ed policy reform through municipal policy reform! That's my jam.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Also not true anymore. With the new decertification law you can just leave your old shitty school if it gets too shitty and transfer to a new, less shitty school in the burbs.


This is deceptive in a way though. Yes, STL City residents can leave failing schools and go to the suburban school of their collective choice, bUT the City has to fund all that*. The County school doesn't have to actually share the budget load. The failing school district subsequently starts paying for both the kids that stay and leave combined. That sucks for all involved.

*Except when they don't feel like it. Normandy basically said, "No thanks, we're good," when handed the bill for their lost students.
I won't throw my political ideology into the ring here because I also don't want to derail this thread, but let's just say I have some very fiery opinions on these matters and some of you would be angry at me.


Wow didn't know that either, I'm behind the times.

Agreed to letting this go ITT. I'm a mixed bag politically so I'd probably annoy everyone on some issue or another lol. Such is life.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:12 pm

hello.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:14 pm

..

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:16 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:hello.

Hello scotti. Would you like to say something?

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby yossarian » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:17 pm

He wants us to stop caring about education and taxes and all the problems of urbanization.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:hello.

Hello scotti. Would you like to say something?


Nah he's just here to sheetpoast :wink:

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:hello.

Hello scotti. Would you like to say something?


Nah he's just here to sheetpoast :wink:

I'm trying to steer the conversation in a more positive direction, and idk, I haven't talked to some people in a while... Like you

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:26 pm

yossarian71 wrote:He wants us to stop caring about education and taxes and all the problems of urbanization.

Are you saying scotti is a false flag?

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:28 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:hello.

Hello scotti. Would you like to say something?


Nah he's just here to sheetpoast :wink:

I'm trying to steer the conversation in a more positive direction, and idk, I haven't talked to some people in a while... Like you


You're a fancy pants megathread OP now. We're from different worlds :)

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chuckbass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Fiero85 wrote:You're a fancy pants megathread OP now. We're from different worlds :)

I would give up my thread for you...

...

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby jdmonkey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
sublime wrote:The downside of not having to pay for black children's education.

:lol: Wow that's fucked up.

Also not true anymore. With the new decertification law you can just leave your old shitty school if it gets too shitty and transfer to a new, less shitty school in the burbs.


Money isn't the largest issue in education it is the parents. Newark, NJ spends more $ per student than any other city in the US according to CNN. Their students do not graduate even on par with the national average. You need parents to make sure the kid does his/her homework, goes to sleep for school, is not in school on an empty stomach, promote his/her self-esteem so he/she can excel, and instill discipline so the child doesn't end up in jail or a gang. If the parents view the school as a babysitter/daycare then that is a huge problem. The biggest indicator of whether a kid will be a poor adult after his/ her parents' income is whether that child was raised in a 1 or 2 parent household. Way more black children are raised in single family homes than whites or asians, which is probably the bigger problem.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:You're a fancy pants megathread OP now. We're from different worlds :)

I would give up my thread for you...

...


haha that's the biggest TLS compliment of all. Maybe after "I'd give up using the term 'retake' for you" :D

Much appreciated. I have no megathreads to give up in return, but right back at ya.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests