WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:11 pm

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:03 pm

You can move the exam if you need to. They're flexible, or at least they were.

eljefe1

Postby eljefe1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:21 pm

I live on the east coast, not in a major city. If I come to WUSTL and end up at median, what will realistic employment prospects look like for me? What about if i'm in the top 1/3?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 pm

sublime wrote:
Unagi wrote:For those looking for weekend courses, financial literacy was just added.

Thanks for the heads up.

Does anybody know how it works with two weekend courses back to back? I am in Takings, and it looks like Fin Literacy has a 1 hour exam that will probably overlap on that Friday?

Does that mean that I can't take both, or should email the Takings prof, or...?

There was a make up for Financial Literacy last Fall that was scheduled for the Monday after the exam. I'd make sure to confirm that before the drop deadline passes though (probably ask someone in the registrar's office?). By the way, you might want to take a minute to think about whether you really want to go 3 straight weeks without having a day off.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:17 pm

hoos89 wrote:
sublime wrote:
Unagi wrote:For those looking for weekend courses, financial literacy was just added.

Thanks for the heads up.

Does anybody know how it works with two weekend courses back to back? I am in Takings, and it looks like Fin Literacy has a 1 hour exam that will probably overlap on that Friday?

Does that mean that I can't take both, or should email the Takings prof, or...?

There was a make up for Financial Literacy last Fall that was scheduled for the Monday after the exam. I'd make sure to confirm that before the drop deadline passes though (probably ask someone in the registrar's office?). By the way, you might want to take a minute to think about whether you really want to go 3 straight weeks without having a day off.

Come on its 2L it's not that much work- you can take days off all the time. 3 weekends isn't bad and everybody just reads the Internet in financial literacy. I don't remember a single person who paid attention.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Still sucks. 1 extra credit isn't necessarily that useful to you, either.

futago

Postby futago » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Any opinion on living within walking distance vs. driving distance for 1L? I am not against driving as long as there is ample parking and the traffic isn`t too terrible.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:10 pm

futago wrote:Any opinion on living within walking distance vs. driving distance for 1L? I am not against driving as long as there is ample parking and the traffic isn`t too terrible.

There is nowhere in walking distance of campus I would personally want to live. Maybe those nice apartments just south of campus, but that's it.

Traffic in STL is nothing and there is always parking everywhere. It shouldn't even cross your mind.

futago

Postby futago » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Birdnals wrote:
futago wrote:Any opinion on living within walking distance vs. driving distance for 1L? I am not against driving as long as there is ample parking and the traffic isn`t too terrible.

There is nowhere in walking distance of campus I would personally want to live. Maybe those nice apartments just south of campus, but that's it.

Traffic in STL is nothing and there is always parking everywhere. It shouldn't even cross your mind.

Thanks for the advice. If you don`t mind sharing, why would you not want to live by campus? quality of apartments?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Not a big fan of UCity nightlife, lots of rich undergrads driving up the price of anything decent making the good places more expensive than they are worth, far from downtown/soulard. Not to say there aren't plenty of law school kids who live there and like it. Just not my cup of tea.

futago

Postby futago » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Birdnals wrote:Not a big fan of UCity nightlife, lots of rich undergrads driving up the price of anything decent making the good places more expensive than they are worth, far from downtown/soulard. Not to say there aren't plenty of law school kids who live there and like it. Just not my cup of tea.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Birdnals wrote:Not a big fan of UCity nightlife, lots of rich undergrads driving up the price of anything decent making the good places more expensive than they are worth, far from downtown/soulard. Not to say there aren't plenty of law school kids who live there and like it. Just not my cup of tea.

CWE housing isn't exactly cheap, but the area most would consider walking distance is pretty undergrad heavy I'll give you that. You could also live near a metro stop and commute that way. Metro passes come with tuition, and parking passes are something like $500.

futago

Postby futago » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:58 pm

hoos89 wrote:

CWE housing isn't exactly cheap, but the area most would consider walking distance is pretty undergrad heavy I'll give you that. You could also live near a metro stop and commute that way. Metro passes come with tuition, and parking passes are something like $500.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know a good annual COL figure for a younger married couple in STL? A ballpark figure would be fine.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:38 am

How does WUSTL place in NY/DC? Admissions told me most don't stay in St. Louis. Is it out of the question to break into those markets with BigLaw? I assume Chicago is also a large market?

Looking to transfer- currently in at GW as well, but COA and the 40% acceptance rate is making me doubt them...

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:17 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:How does WUSTL place in NY/DC? Admissions told me most don't stay in St. Louis. Is it out of the question to break into those markets with BigLaw? I assume Chicago is also a large market?

Looking to transfer- currently in at GW as well, but COA and the 40% acceptance rate is making me doubt them...

Our own native students have a difficult time breaking into all three of those markets unless they're top 20% or so. People say top third is a safe zone but that's probably a stretch. Do you have ties to those markets? What are your credentials from your incoming school?

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:23 pm

cusenation wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:How does WUSTL place in NY/DC? Admissions told me most don't stay in St. Louis. Is it out of the question to break into those markets with BigLaw? I assume Chicago is also a large market?

Our own native students have a difficult time breaking into all three of those markets unless they're top 20% or so. People say top third is a safe zone but that's probably a stretch. Do you have ties to those markets? What are your credentials from your incoming school?

Ties to DC. Currently top 33%, only .01 from top 25% so hoping to break that.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:41 pm

cusenation wrote:

I don't know that anyone calls top 1/3 a safe zone. Also, top 20% isn't going to be a cake walk either. DC is extremely competitive, and you would probably have a much better shot from GW (although I'm obviously not an expert on GW placement). Also bear in mind that we're talking about grades for WUSTL students, as a transfer at top 1/3 or top 1/4, you will be judged as someone who is top 1/3 or top 1/4 at your old school, so it will be more difficult.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 am

What are the 1L 1st semester courses? I found the list of 1L course requirements, but I was wondering specifically which courses are taken first semester. Thanks!

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:43 am

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:10 am

sublime wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:What are the 1L 1st semester courses? I found the list of 1L course requirements, but I was wondering specifically which courses are taken first semester. Thanks!
This year it was

Legal Research
Legal Practice
Contracts
Torts
Property

Then 2nd Semester

Legal Research
Legal Practice
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Con Law
Thanks so much!

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:03 am

Just so you know, last year they had some people take Civ Pro, Crim, and/or Con Law first semester as well. Not sure if they'll do that again or not.

Ref

Postby Ref » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:01 am

hoos89 wrote:Just so you know, last year they had some people take Civ Pro, Crim, and/or Con Law first semester as well. Not sure if they'll do that again or not.

From the looks of the course listing, it looks like this will be the case again next year, at least for Crim and Con law.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Ref wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Just so you know, last year they had some people take Civ Pro, Crim, and/or Con Law first semester as well. Not sure if they'll do that again or not.
From the looks of the course listing, it looks like this will be the case again next year, at least for Crim and Con law.
Good to know. Thanks.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Ref wrote:

Aw really? Boo :/

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Looks like:
4 contracts (Badawi, Baker, DeGeest, Greenfield)
4 Torts: (Goldwasser, Norwood, Tamanahax2)
2 Property: (Konig, Mandelker)
1 Crim: (Appleton)
1 Con Law: (Flagg).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”