WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Dolphine

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Dolphine » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Wed May 28, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:41 pm

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Dolphine wrote:65 seats for corporations? That's barely 1/3 of the 1L class, not even including the 2Ls who haven't taken it yet and are gonna get first dibs on this.

Is there anyway to get to add another class....this is ridiculous.

Are you supposed to pre register for that class? Maybe if enough people preregister they'll add a section. They had that last year.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:09 pm

There wasn't preregistration for Corporations for last Fall.

PrideandGlory1776

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:00 am

Below are the parking options for students -- can someone explain which one is best for Law students and why?

Red: $1,239
Yellow, Blue, & Brown: $519
Red Evening & Yellow Evening: $116
Off-Site*: $15
Official Business: $513
North Campus**: $276
Student Summer: $135
Daily Pass: $5
Monthly Pass: $100
Last edited by PrideandGlory1776 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:04 am

I don't understand how this is a question... It looks like the only permit you can get is yellow...

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 am

Yellow. That's it.

PrideandGlory1776

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:37 am

K thx.

Just one more quick logistical question -- i'm sure it says it somewhere on this thread but what's the consensus on how cheap you go for an apartment within walking distance? Thx!

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:39 am

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:K thx.

Just one more quick logistical question -- i'm sure it says it somewhere on this thread but what's the consensus on how cheap you go for an apartment within walking distance? Thx!

You can get apartments for $5-600 a month on the cheaper side. It really does vary though. Point is that in general, it's cheap.

psyduckiscool

Postby psyduckiscool » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 pm

For the STL BigLaw market, does being diverse necessarily mean that you're URM or can being a minority count in that pool as well?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 am

psyduckiscool wrote:For the STL BigLaw market, does being diverse necessarily mean that you're URM or can being a minority count in that pool as well?

For diversity hiring, diversity means not being a heterosexual white male.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:26 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
psyduckiscool wrote:For the STL BigLaw market, does being diverse necessarily mean that you're URM or can being a minority count in that pool as well?

don't forget socioeconomic diversity.
So, don't be a heterosexual white middle-upper-class male from a family of college educated people.

as an upper-middle-class heterosexual asian male with a family of PhD/MDs, I still got a diversity interview at biglaw. Hell, I know a white guy that fits all of the above and still got a diversity position because they talked about being the first lawyer in the family (everybody else was a doctor/Pharmacist).
Diversity is hellova wide net

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:30 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

So, don't be a heterosexual white middle-upper-class male from a family of college educated people.

as an upper-middle-class heterosexual asian male with a family of PhD/MDs, I still got a diversity interview at biglaw. Hell, I know a white guy that fits all of the above and still got a diversity position because they talked about being the first lawyer in the family (everybody else was a doctor/Pharmacist).

TIL I'm diverse because I'm poor. Sweet action.

bound

Postby bound » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

TIL I'm diverse because I'm poor. Sweet action.

TIL I'm diverse because I don't have a penis.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:40 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

difference between "diversity fairs" and what they can actually count on their stat sheet for diversity though. They will usually let anyone interview at a diversity fair as not to be exclusive. But if they are really trying to hit diversity numbers, that changes who they will actually interview.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:11 pm

bound wrote:I don't have a penis.

How you doin'?

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:14 pm

fl0w wrote:difference between "diversity fairs" and what they can actually count on their stat sheet for diversity though. They will usually let anyone interview at a diversity fair as not to be exclusive. But if they are really trying to hit diversity numbers, that changes who they will actually interview.

I've heard this before w/r/t diversity fairs. Just to clarify: they'll allow anyone at all to sign up for the fair? Aside from limited current assets, I really am the least "diverse" person in most any situation. Would I realistically be selected for interviews at any diversity function, or is it mainly anti-discrimination token attendance?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
fl0w wrote:difference between "diversity fairs" and what they can actually count on their stat sheet for diversity though. They will usually let anyone interview at a diversity fair as not to be exclusive. But if they are really trying to hit diversity numbers, that changes who they will actually interview.

I've heard this before w/r/t diversity fairs. Just to clarify: they'll allow anyone at all to sign up for the fair? Aside from limited current assets, I really am the least "diverse" person in most any situation. Would I realistically be selected for interviews at any diversity function, or is it mainly anti-discrimination token attendance?

Typically "non-diverse" applicants are too afraid to register. I get it. They get looks at the fair, but people just assume they are 1/8 Cherokee or something. Read the rules of the fair, but typically there is not a requirement that outlines what is considered diverse and it is up to the firms to decide what they want to take away from it.

Understand that you will be competing with people that fall on both sides of your credentials. And basically anyone with your credentials or better is also a "diverse" candidate. So your odds at a diversity fair are actually worse in that regard, but the pool is smaller.

Pros and cons.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:17 pm

fl0w wrote:Typically "non-diverse" applicants are too afraid to register. I get it. They get looks at the fair, but people just assume they are 1/8 Cherokee or something. Read the rules of the fair, but typically there is not a requirement that outlines what is considered diverse and it is up to the firms to decide what they want to take away from it.

Understand that you will be competing with people that fall on both sides of your credentials. And basically anyone with your credentials or better is also a "diverse" candidate. So your odds at a diversity fair are actually worse in that regard, but the pool is smaller.

Pros and cons.

I can totally pull off 1/8 Cherokee. I have the right bone structure.

Thanks for this. I'm not "afraid" to register for diversity offerings as much as I am very cognizant of my status. I don't want to waste time or energy applying for/attending things when my application will be immediately disregarded 90% of the time. I also feel a little guilty trying to get something that clearly wasn't meant for me.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
fl0w wrote:Typically "non-diverse" applicants are too afraid to register. I get it. They get looks at the fair, but people just assume they are 1/8 Cherokee or something. Read the rules of the fair, but typically there is not a requirement that outlines what is considered diverse and it is up to the firms to decide what they want to take away from it.

Pros and cons.

I can totally pull off 1/8 Cherokee. I have the right bone structure.

Thanks for this. I'm not "afraid" to register for diversity offerings as much as I am very cognizant of my status. I don't want to waste time or energy applying for/attending things when my application will be immediately disregarded 90% of the time. I also feel a little guilty trying to get something that clearly wasn't meant for me.

Right, and that white guilt is what i meant by fear. And it's very possible you'll just be tossed out or not considered. It's just going to depend on what firms want to get out of the fair (i.e. if they are looking for non-white dudes, you may have wasted your time). And yeah, people will definitely judge you if you go and just look like a white dude. Just a matter of if you want to put yourself out there in this way.

Be aware that many of these fairs also require a diversity statement. So if they read your diversity statement and still give you a screener, then good for you.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Also, a large number of your applications will be summarily tossed outside of the diversity fairs as well. Get used to that.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:02 pm

hoos89 wrote:Also, a large number of your applications will be summarily tossed outside of the diversity fairs as well. Get used to that.

hahaha
well .. sorry it's only funny because it's true.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:15 pm

hoos89 wrote:Also, a large number of your applications will be summarily tossed outside of the diversity fairs as well. Get used to that.

I can believe this, but I also acknowledge that my apps will be discarded based on insufficient grades or work experience rather than my ethnicity or sexual orientation.

Or at least that's what I'm going to say to justify my previous comments.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:46 pm

They'll be tossed for a whole mess of reasons (or no reason). Either way, you need to focus on successes rather than failures. Getting rejected by 1000 firms is irrelevant if one accepts you.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:40 am

There's been a lot of discussion about 1L/2L employment options in biglaw. What are the options in the STL area for those of us planning to pursue public interest?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”