WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:32 pm

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:27 am

if you're at all interested in health law, Sepper is fantastic. Also I loved Block for fed tax.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:44 am

sublime wrote:Yea, general course thoughts would be appreciated.

Take Corporations with Badawi. That class fills up fast even when there's another section, but it looks like he's the only one teaching it next semester so you'll have to be really fast and get a little lucky to get it, in all likelihood.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:03 am

critical jurisprudence seriously was a life altering class. I think it should be required.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:10 am

hoos89 wrote:

Take Corporations with Badawi. That class fills up fast even when there's another section, but it looks like he's the only one teaching it next semester so you'll have to be really fast and get a little lucky to get it, in all likelihood.

that is utterly ridiculous. I know the 1L class is small, but corporations is a prereq for a ton of classes. I've got to assume they'll make Burson or Tuch teach another section.

But yeah, corporations with Badawi is definitely recommended, despite what Prof. Sale says otherwise.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

that is utterly ridiculous. I know the 1L class is small, but corporations is a prereq for a ton of classes. I've got to assume they'll make Burson or Tuch teach another section.

But yeah, corporations with Badawi is definitely recommended, despite what Prof. Sale says otherwise.

In the alternative, do whatever you can to take corporations with Sale.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:28 am

srsly try to take some courses that are legitimately fun/interesting or something.

life crushes you so hard on the other side.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:51 pm

do we get access to Vault or AmLaw? How do 2Ls research firms before/during OCI for information such as revenue, PPP, offer rate, leverage, billable hour requirements, etc...?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:55 pm

cusenation wrote:do we get access to Vault or AmLaw? How do 2Ls research firms before/during OCI for information such as revenue, PPP, offer rate, leverage, billable hour requirements, etc...?

NALP is a pretty solid resource for most of that information, including how many SA's the firm plans on having in each office, pay, offer rate, etc.:

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

ETA: At least it was when I was searching, but just messing around for a minute on there it seems like lots of data isn't there anymore

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Birdnals wrote:
cusenation wrote:do we get access to Vault or AmLaw? How do 2Ls research firms before/during OCI for information such as revenue, PPP, offer rate, leverage, billable hour requirements, etc...?

NALP is a pretty solid resource for most of that information, including how many SA's the firm plans on having in each office, pay, offer rate, etc.:

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

ETA: At least it was when I was searching, but just messing around for a minute on there it seems like lots of data isn't there anymore

What about firms that aren't on the NALP directory? (I have no idea why this particular firm, or any firm, isn't..)

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:02 pm

cusenation wrote:What about firms that aren't on the NALP directory? (I have no idea why this particular firm, or any firm, isn't..)

I would wait a couple months. It appears the form for each firm expires each year and lots of firms haven't updated yet for this upcoming summer OCI people. I would guess the people in career services have a lot of this info too, so it is worth setting up an appointment. They might be able to hook you up with a vault subscription or something too.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:35 pm

We used to get access to vault and then our CSO stopped paying for it I think- not sure but I remember vault customer service told me something like that.

Anyways, you should ask CSO and all your friends should ask CSO to subscribe as it was invaluable. I was able to access it through my undergrad.

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:31 am

goldeneye wrote:We used to get access to vault and then our CSO stopped paying for it

To be honest, that money is better spent on Mocktail parties.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:43 am

bulinus wrote:
goldeneye wrote:We used to get access to vault and then our CSO stopped paying for it

To be honest, that money is better spent on Mocktail parties.

Here's the former landing page. If you click Vault at the bottom, it takes you to a blank page.

http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/pages.aspx?id=938

I really do think it's a great tool and would be worth it for the 1Ls to request access.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:My advice would be: typing fast is important, but don't fetishize it.

I think there might be an analogy somewhere involving, say, Rick Ankiel and Greg Maddux.

Make sure you don't over-focus on it to your detriment.

As a 0L trying to figure out where to go and coming from Canada, WUSTL and St. Louis' strong baseball culture is a big plus. I've missed living in a Major League city since the Expos left 10 years ago

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:56 pm

is the PI summer stipend taxed?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes, but if you don't have other income you will be exempt from income tax. I lost ~$200 to social security, medicare, and local tax, though. It's income.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:16 pm

I still need to sign up for a bar prep course...late yeah I know. Anyone know if a main player is still running a deal?

littlegiant

Postby littlegiant » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Anyone in this thread that spent $175k+ (total COA) to go to WUSTL on this thread? Would be interested in PM'ing you some questions if you dont mind

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:57 pm

littlegiant wrote:Anyone in this thread that spent $175k+ (total COA) to go to WUSTL on this thread? Would be interested in PM'ing you some questions if you dont mind

I'm not sure it matters whether someone has spent that much but I can say it's not something I would recommend unless you have a sure fire plan of employment

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:12 pm

goldeneye wrote:
littlegiant wrote:Anyone in this thread that spent $175k+ (total COA) to go to WUSTL on this thread? Would be interested in PM'ing you some questions if you dont mind

I'm not sure it matters whether someone has spent that much but I can say it's not something I would recommend unless you have a sure fire plan of employment

honestly... i duno that i'd borrow that much even if I did have a sure fire plan of employment.
Unless it's being paid for in cash. I guess that's a different story... sort of?
Someone else's cash?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:29 pm

fl0w wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

honestly... i duno that i'd borrow that much even if I did have a sure fire plan of employment.
Unless it's being paid for in cash. I guess that's a different story... sort of?
Someone else's cash?

Bitcoin?

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Last edited by aesth24 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:41 am

Starting a running list of courses and/or professors to take. Not sure what all has been mentioned in this monstrous thread, but from the last couple of pages I've got:

Health Law: Sepper
Fed Tax: Block
Corporations: Badawi or maybe Sale

Who/what else should be added to the list? Anything you'd like to agree/disagree with?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Evidence is another one that is a pre req. for a ton of stuff. If you have any desire to litigate (or just want to take Trial) then it should be on your list of 2L classes. Also, at least with Rosen, there is 0 reading, which is nice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”