WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
notedgarfigaro

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby notedgarfigaro » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 am

Randomnumbers wrote:Take the Korean firm and run with it. That'll look much better on your resume and give you a lot more to talk about come OCI time. It's not even a close call.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am

Cuse, are you Korean? If so, do you want to stay in the US after graduation or are you fine with going back to Korea?
The firm sounds like a great opportunity, but if you are an international student with no ties to the US, going back to Korea for the summer may give people the impression that you want to move back eventually.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 am

Unagi wrote:Cuse, are you Korean? If so, do you want to stay in the US after graduation or are you fine with going back to Korea?
The firm sounds like a great opportunity, but if you are an international student with no ties to the US, going back to Korea for the summer may give people the impression that you want to move back eventually.

yeahhh that's what i was concerned about. Yes I'm Korean and bilingual, but I've lived here my whole life. Soo I dunno how that will come off during interviews

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 am

I vote for the firm. Just be sure you finish early enough to participate in all the OCI's and potential interviews that happen before oci even starts through networking. And have a plan in place for phone interviews so they're not ridiculously expensive.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:00 am

Unagi wrote:Cuse, are you Korean? If so, do you want to stay in the US after graduation or are you fine with going back to Korea?

not if you target california markets. they tend to really believe people when they answer "why CA?" because really, the answer is "because it's awesome here." Then they are like "true. you're right."

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 pm

How well do transfers meld with the law school as a whole? I'm use to having upperclassmen friends who give me outlines and stuff.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:43 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:How well do transfers meld with the law school as a whole? I'm use to having upperclassmen friends who give me outlines and stuff.

If you're fairly outgoing it shouldn't be too difficult. It's a pretty inclusive environment. Bonus points if you're a hot girl. (kidding. sorta.)

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:19 am

Michael Bluth wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:How well do transfers meld with the law school as a whole? I'm use to having upperclassmen friends who give me outlines and stuff.

If you're fairly outgoing it shouldn't be too difficult. It's a pretty inclusive environment. Bonus points if you're a hot girl. (kidding. sorta.)

I can say that my social group isn't the most outgoing, but as a 2L I don't know a single transfer student.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:55 am

Michael Bluth wrote:

or if you are rich and can throw a killer party.

but it sounds like the only reason you want friends is for outlines anyway, so "meh"

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:37 am

Hey, guys!

Another question from prospective LLM student. As I commented here earlier, I have an offer from WUSTL's LLM program as well as I am a principal candidate for Fulbright scholarship, so if I come to WUSTL I don't have to worry about fees and COL.

As a back-up I also applied for the LLM at the University of Cambridge and got a conditional offer. If I would go to Cambridge, I have to cover all the fees and COL in the amount of 20k GBP (approx. 33k USD). Fulbright and WUSTL is my first choice, but now when Cambridge is on the table I am a bit worried about my choice.

Do you think a year in WUSTL with Fulbright and no debt would be a better investment in future work in continental Europe rather than Cambridge with 20k GBP?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:41 am

llmcandidate wrote:Hey, guys!

Another question from prospective LLM student. As I commented here earlier, I have an offer from WUSTL's LLM program as well as I am a principal candidate for Fulbright scholarship, so if I come to WUSTL I don't have to worry about fees and COL.

As a back-up I also applied for the LLM at the University of Cambridge and got a conditional offer. If I would go to Cambridge, I have to cover all the fees and COL in the amount of 20k GBP (approx. 33k USD). Fulbright and WUSTL is my first choice, but now when Cambridge is on the table I am a bit worried about my choice.

Do you think a year in WUSTL with Fulbright and no debt would be a better investment in future work in continental Europe rather than Cambridge with 20k GBP?

Cambridge sounds a lot better for trying to work in Europe...

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:57 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Cambridge sounds a lot better for trying to work in Europe...

But if we are comparing the value between a T-20 American law school and Fulbright with Cambridge, it should be more or less the same, right? And, plus, in WUSTL I wouldn't have any financial obligations. I believe that the quality of education in WUSTL isn't much lower than in Cambridge, as the professors have done their degrees in Yale and like.

Of course, Cambridge is Cambridge, the name says it all, whereas the most of population in Europe has not heard about WUSTL at all... But that's why I have the Fulbright. So, in my mind, the biggest question here is whether the quality of education in Cambridge is worth 20k GBP more than in WUSTL. Or maybe I'm wrong on this one?

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:15 am

llmcandidate wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Cambridge sounds a lot better for trying to work in Europe...

But if we are comparing the value between a T-20 American law school and Fulbright with Cambridge, it should be more or less the same, right? And, plus, in WUSTL I wouldn't have any financial obligations. I believe that the quality of education in WUSTL isn't much lower than in Cambridge, as the professors have done their degrees in Yale and like.

Of course, Cambridge is Cambridge, the name says it all, whereas the most of population in Europe has not heard about WUSTL at all... But that's why I have the Fulbright. So, in my mind, the biggest question here is whether the quality of education in Cambridge is worth 20k GBP more than in WUSTL. Or maybe I'm wrong on this one?

I'd take the Cambridge offer without a second thought, myself.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:41 am

bouakedojo wrote:
llmcandidate wrote:

I don't think most of us know much about European employment options but yea, Cambridge for sure is worth 20k pounds.

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
llmcandidate wrote:

I don't think most of us know much about European employment options but yea, Cambridge for sure is worth 20k pounds.

Yep, some say that Oxford and Cambridge could be only compared with Harvard and Yale. If it wouldn't be Fulbright, I'd also take Cambridge without thinking. But you can't imagine how hard it was to go through the application process, so I still think it is my moral obligation to take Fulbright and WUSTL, as it's what I'm offered.

I can think of million reasons why WUSTL with Fulbright is an excellent choice, but then again I can say only one word starting with letter "C" and it's all upside-down. But then again, Fulbright is once-in-a-lifetime opportunity while Cambridge can wait. But then again Cambridge is extremely selective and it is definitely not guaranteed that I'll have an offer next year as well. But then again one year in the US would be more fun than fun year in Cambridge. It can go on and on... :D

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 am

But why do you want an American LLM if you want to work in Europe???

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:58 am

scottidsntknow wrote:But why do you want an American LLM if you want to work in Europe???

Great question. I'll try to answer.

First of all, I come from a country where we have BAs and MAs in law, not LLBs or LLMs. Therefore, if you have an LLM, it's definitely an advantage because you have to do it abroad. Secondly, in my country as well as in some other European countries we have education for free, so it matters. Thirdly, a different legal system certainly opens your mind and broadens your point of view. So, for me, it would be a great experience to understand how the common law system works and I am looking forward to gain as much experience as possible. As I am working for the government, I am particularly interested in the US interpretation of international law. Lastly, American LLM allows you to sit for the bar exam. In my country one can practice law after the graduation, but if one wants to be admitted to the bar and represent clients before the court, it is compulsory to work for several years at a law firm under supervision of a senior attorney and only then it is possible to take the bar exam.

Not that I want particularly American LLM, but I want Fulbright and I would like to be admitted to the bar without spending several years of my life working in a law firm just to have this possibility. Fulbright is extremely prestigious and it allows me to accomplish all my goals. Cambridge, on the other hand, is probably more prestigious itself but in UK, as far as I know, it is must harder to become admitted to the bar. Plus, the debt. Not that 20k GBP is unbearable but it is still a lot of money for me. I am not used to spend money on education, and it is 1/3 price of a house. These are the reasons why I am concerned about Cambridge and why I would like to convince myself that studying in the US is the best choice for me. :)

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:06 pm

What are your goals?

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Currently I have three real options: 1) continue my work at the government; 2) international organizations (therefore, I will put all my focus on "international law"; 3) a domestic law firm with international branches (altogether around 200+ attorneys). Not sure about biglaw in Europe.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:17 pm

llmcandidate wrote:Currently I have three real options: 1) continue my work at the government; 2) international organizations (therefore, I will put all my focus on "international law"; 3) a domestic law firm with international branches (altogether around 200+ attorneys). Not sure about biglaw in Europe.

Well I'd think with those goals, Cambridge>Fulbright.

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Well, since I will most probably move to another continent, I am open to other options as well. Do you know something about career prospects for LLMs at WUSTL? What about OCI for LLMs? Is there a possibility at WUSTL to get a position at, for instance, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP in Brussels?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

llmcandidate wrote:Is there a possibility at WUSTL to get a position at, for instance, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP in Brussels?

This is highly unlikely. I know at least 1 LLM that got a position at a foreign office of a V50 firm, but Cleary Gottleib is pretty much beyond our pay grade in all aspects. I don't know where the others are working, though. A lot of LLMs seem to transfer into the full-time JD program actually.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm

JCougar wrote:
llmcandidate wrote:Is there a possibility at WUSTL to get a position at, for instance, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP in Brussels?

This is highly unlikely. I know at least 1 LLM that got a position at a foreign office of a V50 firm, but Cleary Gottleib is pretty much beyond our pay grade in all aspects. I don't know where the others are working, though. A lot of LLMs seem to transfer into the full-time JD program actually.

I spoke to an alumni at Cleary on the phone when I was considering transfering. It's not easy but it's possible if you're top 10% or higher..maybe top 15% as well? I know there's a 2L going to Cravath who's outside top 10%

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27 pm

cusenation wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I spoke to an alumni at Cleary on the phone when I was considering transfering. It's not easy but it's possible if you're top 10% or higher..maybe top 15% as well? I know there's a 2L going to Cravath who's outside top 10%

Thanks! A chance is all I need. :) But is there a class-rank for LLMs? WUSTL website says that all the latin honours are awarded only to JDs, if I am correct.

One less important question: why WUSTL law school does not have Facebook? Nowadays, especially for internationals, it's all about marketing. I'm wondering that school with the 14th best undergrad program has less than 30k likes on Facebook and the 18th best law school does not even have a page. Facebook is the first place where I am looking at in order to understand if school credible and what people are saying about it. If there isn't anything on the web, it feels that something is wrong.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:29 pm

llmcandidate wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Thanks! A chance is all I need. :) But is there a class-rank for LLMs? WUSTL website says that all the latin honours are awarded only to JDs, if I am correct.

One less important question: why WUSTL law school does not have Facebook? Nowadays, especially for internationals, it's all about marketing. I'm wondering that school with the 14th best undergrad program has less than 30k likes on Facebook and the 18th best law school does not even have a page. Facebook is the first place where I am looking at in order to understand if school credible and what people are saying about it. If there isn't anything on the web, it feels that something is wrong.

Hmm i think our admissions office has a facebook page. And each class has its own class fb page.

I'm not sure how the LLMs are ranked to be honest, you might wanna ask the school directly

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”