WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MikeSpivey

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Here is the email announcement:

Importance: High

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of Provost Holden Thorp and myself, we are pleased to inform you that the next Dean of the School of Law will be Dr. Nancy Staudt, currently Vice Dean of Faculty and Academic Affairs at the USC School of Law. She is a former WU faculty member, and we are excited to have her re-joining us as Dean. Her partner, Dr. Lee Esptein, currently Provost Professor of Law and Public Policy at USC, will also be rejoining us as a University professor. We are thrilled to have two top academic leaders joining us.

Attached you will find a memo from Holden and me along with Nancy's cv.

We look forward to having Nancy joining us and she will be able to be with us for the National Council meeting on April 25. I very much hope that you will be able to be with us for that important meeting.

With best regards,

Mark

Mark S. Wrighton, Ph.D.
Chancellor and Professor of Chemistry
Campus Box 1192
One Brookings Drive
Washington University in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO 63130 USA
Phone: 314-935-5100
Fax: 314-935-4744
Email: wrighton@wustl.edu

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:46 pm

sublime wrote:
I have friends from Florida who still think I am in DC or Seattle.

'nuff said.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 pm

sublime wrote:
isuperserial wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:I think prestige varies by region. I've heard Vandy is huge in the South, but in my experience in the Northeast, people think of WUSTL as an excellent school, and Vandy as a mediocre basketball program with a bad football team.

In the Northeast, Vandy is the school that's perpetually angry that it's not Duke. Jk kind of. Seriously only like 3-5 schools in the entire country are going to have universal lay-prestige

If you're not HYP plus Stanford, then GTFO. Even Cornell gets shit on as the "not-a-real-Ivy" by the other Ivy's. There will ALWAYS be a more prestigious school.

Here in Michigan I know that at least among the academic community WashU has an incredible reputation. It's gotten to the point where I get a little weirded out when people ask me where I'm going to law school because they act like I won the lottery. Depending on the situation I usually just say, "I dunno, still juggling options." Which I guess isn't necessarily incorrect.

I'd imagine the prestige is a little higher in the Midwest. There's only a few household names outside the Big Ten around here and WashU tends to be one of them.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 pm

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:49 pm

sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:
sublime wrote:

'nuff said.

(Lives in Missouri)

:lol:

As a Bostonian, every time i see the Missouri license plate on my car i'm like:

--ImageRemoved--

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:52 pm

cusenation wrote:
sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:
sublime wrote:

'nuff said.

(Lives in Missouri)

:lol:

As a Bostonian, every time i see the Missouri license plate on my car i'm like:

--ImageRemoved--

weird shit :lol:

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:10 pm

sublime wrote:Also, do you know anything about our new dean, or have any thoughts, Mike?

+1

Very interested in this recent development.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
sublime wrote:Also, do you know anything about our new dean, or have any thoughts, Mike?

+1

I haven't seen anything posted about it from the usual suspects (Leiter, Paul Caron, Faculty Lounge, etc.). I'm sure one of them will comment tomorrow. I have no idea how "prestigious" this will be taken for by the greater legal community. But I like the idea of getting two in one. Both the new dean and her partner look to have pretty impressive resumes. And I like the idea of snagging them from USC.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:41 pm

JCougar wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

+1

I haven't seen anything posted about it from the usual suspects (Leiter, Paul Caron, Faculty Lounge, etc.). I'm sure one of them will comment tomorrow. I have no idea how "prestigious" this will be taken for by the greater legal community. But I like the idea of getting two in one. Both the new dean and her partner look to have pretty impressive resumes. And I like the idea of snagging them from USC.

I was going to say the same thing re: 2 for 1. I had not heard of her until about a month ago when I spoke with USC's dean -- it sounded like he thought very highly of her.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

+1

I was going to say the same thing re: 2 for 1. I had not heard of her until about a month ago when I spoke with USC's dean -- it sounded like he thought very highly of her.

Good to know, thanks guys. Hopefully she has some good ideas for the law school.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 am

It looks like Epstein has an equal (if not greater) prestigious scholarship record. One of the most cited professors on law & social policy. And both her and Staudt's work coincide with Dean Andrew Martin's and Pauline Kim's, making WUSTL a nucleus for Empirical Legal Studies. Epstein has also done some research with Judge Richard Posner, so we'll have that connection for clerkships. Staudt is regarded with prestige in tax law. We also previously had Epstein. Seems like this move is also geared at bolstering our interdisciplinary programs (law & social work, law & political science, etc.) while also bolstering our tax program (and therefore our tax LLM).

Ref

Postby Ref » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Thoughts on clinics? Is that something that can be easily juggled with everything else 2L, or is it better to wait until 3L?

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Ref wrote:Thoughts on clinics? Is that something that can be easily juggled with everything else 2L, or is it better to wait until 3L?

Clinics are awesome. Do them. The average length of the 'statement of interest' thing on the application process is apparently about four lines. I got my first choice clinic with a one sentence statement of interest. I don't know anyone who has had trouble doing their clinic 2L year and the other 2L stuff. I'd probably recommend doing it in the spring of 2L instead of the fall, but either should be fine.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Ref wrote:Thoughts on clinics? Is that something that can be easily juggled with everything else 2L, or is it better to wait until 3L?

depends on how you want to do law school. for a true "3LoL" experience, save the clinic for 3L.
I packed as much into 2L as I could so I could relax in the last year (study abroad for a semester and do a clinic my final semester). 16/17 units plus a 5unit language course in the undergrad school was tough but made my last year fantastic.

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:54 pm

JCougar wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

+1

Saw in them in Leiter's lateral transfer list yesterday.

Is Staudt our first LGBT Dean (or openly LGBT Dean)?

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:

Clinics are awesome. Do them. The average length of the 'statement of interest' thing on the application process is apparently about four lines. I got my first choice clinic with a one sentence statement of interest. I don't know anyone who has had trouble doing their clinic 2L year and the other 2L stuff. I'd probably recommend doing it in the spring of 2L instead of the fall, but either should be fine.

+1 I'd also suggest the moot court class.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Durkheim wrote:Saw in them in Leiter's lateral transfer list yesterday.

Yeah, but he didn't comment on them. Usually, he offers some commentary, like "a real coup for School X." Or "this will bolster the schools reputation in X area..."

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Almighty elders, i am in need of your wisdom.

I have an offer from a Korean firm that expires in 7 days. It's $4,200 stipend for 8 weeks and they cover my airfare to and from Seoul. It's the largest firm in the country and they regularly collaborate with V10 firms that do business in Asia. (Monsanto is actually one of their clients in the region apparently). I could live with family while i'm there so I wouldn't really be incurring any costs other than hanging out and eating

My callback with Monsanto is in 10 days. No idea what Monsanto pays its summer interns. I have a RA offer from my civ pro prof, she can guarantee 30 hours a week of work, but she requires facetime so I need to stay in St. Louis if I take it.

I've already emailed the firm to see if i can get an extension and I emailed Monsanto asking them to expedite my callback. But assuming that they don't, what do i do?

I'm paranoid about Monsanto after being dinged by all my OCI firms on the basis that I don't have ties to STL (yes they actually called and told me that was why), but it would make my life so much easier if i didn't have to relocate for the summer and could just stay here.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Other than taking the obviously correct step of contacting both the firm and Monsanto, I'd say you can't give up a bird in the hand for a bird in the bush. Firms are more likely to hire you post-graduation anyhow. I know Monsanto likes to do internships, but I don't know of anyone who went in-house with them right after they graduated--which is normal for in-house positions.

Sounds like the Korean firm is a really good opportunity. I had to relocate for an unpaid FedGov summer job for 1L. It was a pain in the ass, and very financially stressful. If you can live with family and get paid for 1L, I wouldn't be complaining. I think the firm job will probably be better experience anyway. But don't piss off Monsanto either if they are one of the firm's clients. Just be reasonable with them and say you have a good offer that's going to expire, and you are eager to get a decision from them within that timeframe.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Korean firm sounds legit. St. Louis is going to be stingy no matter what you do, that's just how they are so I'm not even sure working at Monsanto for the summer or RA-ing would be helpful for convincing them. Additionally, the K-firm might have great contacts to other firms which would could foster over the summer. Also, the money sounds good.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 pm

cusenation wrote:Almighty elders, i am in need of your wisdom.

I have an offer from a Korean firm that expires in 7 days. It's $4,200 stipend for 8 weeks and they cover my airfare to and from Seoul. It's the largest firm in the country and they regularly collaborate with V10 firms that do business in Asia. (Monsanto is actually one of their clients in the region apparently). I could live with family while i'm there so I wouldn't really be incurring any costs other than hanging out and eating

My callback with Monsanto is in 10 days. No idea what Monsanto pays its summer interns. I have a RA offer from my civ pro prof, she can guarantee 30 hours a week of work, but she requires facetime so I need to stay in St. Louis if I take it.

I've already emailed the firm to see if i can get an extension and I emailed Monsanto asking them to expedite my callback. But assuming that they don't, what do i do?

I'm paranoid about Monsanto after being dinged by all my OCI firms on the basis that I don't have ties to STL (yes they actually called and told me that was why), but it would make my life so much easier if i didn't have to relocate for the summer and could just stay here.

Kim & Chang?

That'll look sexy on a resume...

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
cusenation wrote:Almighty elders, i am in need of your wisdom.

Kim & Chang?

That'll look sexy on a resume...

lol yes Kim & Chang

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Take the Korean firm and run with it. That'll look much better on your resume and give you a lot more to talk about come OCI time. It's not even a close call.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”