WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dietcoke0

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:01 pm

llmcandidate wrote:Thank you very much for your answers! :) It helps a lot! Unfortunately, Georgetown and Northwestern are not being considered. The Fulbright program is choosing universities on my behalf taking into account my credentials and available funding. WUSTL is the highest ranked school I was offered.

dietcoke0, thanks for the comparison with Frankfurt! :D I guess every city has its own charm, but there is nothing much to see in Frankfurt. At least St. Louis has the Arch.

There is one more question that came up to my mind - is it easy and affordable to travel from St. Louis to other parts of the US? And do the law students have time to do that? For instance, when American/Australian/Asian undergraduate students visit my home country for their exchange year, they are travelling all the time. I would like to do some road trips to the East Coast, New England (especially, in the autumn) and California during the year. Taking into account all the classes and exams, is it doable?

Trust me, there's not much to see in St. Louis either. The Arch take all of an hour to do.

Frankfurt is on a river, has some financial history, a few cute neighborhoods, but overall, not walkable, and not all that pretty (no offense St. Louis Peeps)

Road trips to New England are probably undoable, at least during the season. It's about a 16-18 hour drive, depending on where in New England. Likewise, California is 26-30 hour drive (LA or SF) and about a $300-$400 plane ticket. Around St. Louis, you have Chicago, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Memphis as major cities within 4-6 hours drive. Chicago is probably the only one worth spending some time in, although many people will tell you that the other 3 are good for their own reasons (which they are, but they are no New York, SF, DC)

If you want to travel, and see America, the East Coast is where to be. From say Philly, it's 2 hours to NYC, 3 hours to DC, 6 hours to Boston, and a ton of things to do in between (such as Atlantic City)

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Almighty elders (and other 1Ls),

A group of us will be going to Blueberry Hill on 8pm this Friday to meet the 0L's and answer any questions they may have (their ASD is this weekend). Please come if you haven't left for break by then!

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 pm

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 pm

no happy hour on the day when accepted students are visiting. That's poor planning.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:54 pm

goldeneye wrote:no happy hour on the day when accepted students are visiting. That's poor planning.

There was a happy hour on the tentative asw schedule, but it is mysteriously missing on the final schedule :/

bound

Postby bound » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:12 am

Top breakfast place that I have to go while at ASW??

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:15 am

Austinbound wrote:Top breakfast place that I have to go while at ASW??

just don't let anyone tell you it's First Watch. That place is garbage. There are a couple nice places in CWE, the names of which have left me since I've moved out of the state.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:15 am

If you're a billionaire you should do brunch at the Chase hotel. My in-laws took my wife and I there and it was amazing. And ~$50 a person. So.... there's that.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 am

Ihop.

But seriously tomorrow is free pancakes at ihop

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Trust me, there's not much to see in St. Louis either. The Arch take all of an hour to do.

Frankfurt is on a river, has some financial history, a few cute neighborhoods, but overall, not walkable, and not all that pretty (no offense St. Louis Peeps)

Road trips to New England are probably undoable, at least during the season. It's about a 16-18 hour drive, depending on where in New England. Likewise, California is 26-30 hour drive (LA or SF) and about a $300-$400 plane ticket. Around St. Louis, you have Chicago, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Memphis as major cities within 4-6 hours drive. Chicago is probably the only one worth spending some time in, although many people will tell you that the other 3 are good for their own reasons (which they are, but they are no New York, SF, DC)

If you want to travel, and see America, the East Coast is where to be. From say Philly, it's 2 hours to NYC, 3 hours to DC, 6 hours to Boston, and a ton of things to do in between (such as Atlantic City)

Thank you for your reply. Of course, I'm aware that East Coast would probably offer much more to see than St. Louis, however my only option in East Coast is American University. Although AU's LLM program seems much better than its JD program, which is often criticised, I still have the feeling that WUSTL would be a better choice for me. I would really love to be in a place with a good overall feal, great facilities and a certain international recognition to be proud of my alma mater. At the same time, I have some serious doubts regarding the location of St. Louis and the international connections I might get while studying at WUSTL.

I got your position about the weekend trips, but what about fall break and Christmas break? Would it be possible to take a flight to DC and than to do a roadtrip to New Hampshire via Philly, NYC and Boston? Or travel throughout Arizona and California during the Christmas break? Does the schedule allows to do that?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:21 am

llmcandidate wrote:I got your position about the weekend trips, but what about fall break and Christmas break? Would it be possible to take a flight to DC and than to do a roadtrip to New Hampshire via Philly, NYC and Boston? Or travel throughout Arizona and California during the Christmas break? Does the schedule allows to do that?

Yes.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:00 am

llmcandidate wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Trust me, there's not much to see in St. Louis either. The Arch take all of an hour to do.

Thank you for your reply. Of course, I'm aware that East Coast would probably offer much more to see than St. Louis, however my only option in East Coast is American University. Although AU's LLM program seems much better than its JD program, which is often criticised, I still have the feeling that WUSTL would be a better choice for me. I would really love to be in a place with a good overall feal, great facilities and a certain international recognition to be proud of my alma mater. At the same time, I have some serious doubts regarding the location of St. Louis and the international connections I might get while studying at WUSTL.

I got your position about the weekend trips, but what about fall break and Christmas break? Would it be possible to take a flight to DC and than to do a roadtrip to New Hampshire via Philly, NYC and Boston? Or travel throughout Arizona and California during the Christmas break? Does the schedule allows to do that?

Just... don't go to American University. For the love of all that is holy.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Rooster on Locust downtown.
http://roosterstl.com/

Jay2716

Postby Jay2716 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Cellar-door wrote:

Rooster on Locust downtown.
http://roosterstl.com/

Half and Half in Clayton >>>>>>> Rooster.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 pm

I hung out with a bunch of LLMs, and most of them were really fun. People are from all over the world, but the biggest contingent is by far is from China. I knew ones from China, Japan, Portugal, the Netherlands, Russia, Italy, Afghanistan...and that's all I specifically remember at this point. I think some of these were just semester exchange students, though. One of the coolest things about law school was meeting these people from so many different countries and cultures.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
llmcandidate wrote:

Haha, I agree on that. Don't go to AU. Wash U is a fine institution, and you'll get a better education here.

Fall Break is short, and you also have Thanksgiving Break. New Hampshire is about 10-12 hours (estimation) from DC, but you can fly there, and drive around a bit. I guess with Spring Break, Winter Break, you can do some bigger trips then.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know if you have any further questions.

llmcandidate

Postby llmcandidate » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:31 am

dietcoke0 wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:
llmcandidate wrote:

Haha, I agree on that. Don't go to AU. Wash U is a fine institution, and you'll get a better education here.

Fall Break is short, and you also have Thanksgiving Break. New Hampshire is about 10-12 hours (estimation) from DC, but you can fly there, and drive around a bit. I guess with Spring Break, Winter Break, you can do some bigger trips then.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you! I have one more question. Since I work for the government, I am actually involved in issues regarding international human rights law and I would like to take courses on this matter as well. I can see in the academic planning guide (http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/coursedi ... -Guide.pdf) that WUSTL offers one general course on human rights, a war crimes seminar and international criminal law. However, in the schedule of both Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 I cannot find even the general course "International Human Rights Law" (which is mentioned in the guide). Could you, please, provide your comments in this regard and any other information which might be related with human rights studies at the WUSTL?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 am

llmcandidate wrote:Thank you! I have one more question. Since I work for the government, I am actually involved in issues regarding international human rights law and I would like to take courses on this matter as well. I can see in the academic planning guide (http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/coursedi ... -Guide.pdf) that WUSTL offers one general course on human rights, a war crimes seminar and international criminal law. However, in the schedule of both Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 I cannot find even the general course "International Human Rights Law" (which is mentioned in the guide). Could you, please, provide your comments in this regard and any other information which might be related with human rights studies at the WUSTL?

i never took those courses, but knew people that were taking them. i think there is basically what you've found. And honestly if you're doing an LLM and are only around for two semesters you won't have time for many more courses than that with all the requirements you'll have to fulfill. But, you can always email admissions for more info and they can try to put you in touch with someone that knows what courses are coming up during your planned enrollment period

bound

Postby bound » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:35 am

Okay Okay I think I got it...

Half & Half > Rooster > IHop >>>>>>> First Watch ?

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Austinbound wrote:Okay Okay I think I got it...

Planet Fitness>>>>>>>>>>Half & Half > Rooster > IHop >>>>>>> First Watch ?

FTSpecificallyFY

HTH

bound

Postby bound » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 pm

JustHawkin wrote:

FTSpecificallyFY

HTH

We both know I'm a 125lb obese person.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Austinbound wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

FTSpecificallyFY

HTH

We both know I'm a 125lb obese person.

Will out yourself as the person eating all of the chocolate chip cookies at ASW.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm

IHOP over everything, actually. The place was packed on free pancake day

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Is there a solid contingent of New England people at WUSTL looking to come back for work? I know cuse is one of them.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Otunga wrote:Is there a solid contingent of New England people at WUSTL looking to come back for work? I know cuse is one of them.

A handful from the Boston area. Not a huge amount. Outside of St. Louis and Chicago, seems to vary by general population of the area (so more from Cali, Florida, Texas than from the Northwest)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”