WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bsktbll28082

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Is there a lot of hand-holding at WUSTL? It's something I do not like about my current school.

And by hand-holding I mean sessions on 'How to Take Notes,' 'How to Not Stress Out During Exams,' 'What Supplements Are the Best?' etc. Stuff that if you've made it through college, you should be able to handle.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Is there a lot of hand-holding at WUSTL? It's something I do not like about my current school.

And by hand-holding I mean sessions on 'How to Take Notes,' 'How to Not Stress Out During Exams,' 'What Supplements Are the Best?' etc. Stuff that if you've made it through college, you should be able to handle.

There was a decent amount of those types of things during 1L year, but almost all of them were optional and even the ones which were "required" like during intersession were essentially optional

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Good to know. We still have required orientation session even though it's second semester. And if we don't go, we get angry emails from the Dean.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Can anyone give me any tips for interviewing with any of these employers? CSO wasn't especially helpful. All of them are stacked on top of each other on Monday/Tuesday

Greensfelder, Husch, Shook Hardy, Armstrong, Emerson, Monsanto, LewisRice

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:23 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 pm

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:37 pm

sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:Can anyone give me any tips for interviewing with any of these employers? CSO wasn't especially helpful. All of them are stacked on top of each other on Monday/Tuesday

Greensfelder, Husch, Shook Hardy, Armstrong, Emerson, Monsanto, LewisRice

#humblebrag.

Same question though, although I don't have Shook or Emerson, but do have Korien.

And your Monsanto interview is on Tues, Cuse? I thought those were later in the week?

Oh snap, yeah Monsanto is on Thursday.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Does anyone have specific recommendations for apartment buildings in CWE?

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:28 pm

scotth724 wrote:Does anyone have specific recommendations for apartment buildings in CWE?

What's your budget? And roommates?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:08 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:
scotth724 wrote:Does anyone have specific recommendations for apartment buildings in CWE?

I'd want a studio. As for budget, I'd want to spend less than 1k, ideally about 800.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:15 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:19 pm

scotth724 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:

I'd want a studio. As for budget, I'd want to spend less than 1k, ideally about 800.

For 800 I'll let you rent my 2 bedroom house.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:11 pm

hoos89 wrote:
scotth724 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:

800 is pretty expensive for a studio in STL.

Ok than less than 800 haha. I just want wood floors, a gym in my building, and to be near the metro.

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 pm

All doable in the 650 range. There's a place across from the cathedral that runs studios at $1000. That and the Metrolofts are the most expensive I've seen. Plenty of better, cheaper places scattered throughout. Are you planning to visit?

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:36 pm

ITT, people from the coasts discover the joys of dirt-cheap midwest living.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Durkheim wrote:All doable in the 650 range. There's a place across from the cathedral that runs studios at $1000. That and the Metrolofts are the most expensive I've seen. Plenty of better, cheaper places scattered throughout. Are you planning to visit?

Ok perfect. And yes, I'll be there in March for the ASW, so I figure I can visit some of the buildings then. Looking at the moment, the Carleton seems pretty great for $700 all-inclusive.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:38 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:ITT, people from the coasts discover the joys of dirt-cheap midwest living.

I'm from DC and this is absolutely insane.

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:44 pm

scotth724 wrote:
Durkheim wrote:All doable in the 650 range. There's a place across from the cathedral that runs studios at $1000. That and the Metrolofts are the most expensive I've seen. Plenty of better, cheaper places scattered throughout. Are you planning to visit?

Ok perfect. And yes, I'll be there in March for the ASW, so I figure I can visit some of the buildings then. Looking at the moment, the Carleton seems pretty great for $700 all-inclusive.

Are you planning on using mass transit?

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Durkheim wrote:
scotth724 wrote:

(lol to "mass" transit. Driving is the mass transit in STL, as I'm sure you know. "Public transit" on the other hand, makes more sense. Just messing with ya :wink: )

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Durkheim wrote:
scotth724 wrote:

(lol to "mass" transit. Driving is the mass transit in STL, as I'm sure you know. "Public transit" on the other hand, makes more sense. Just messing with ya :wink: )

Hah. I wouldn't know, really. I drive. If I want a sexual assault scare, I'll go to the Halloween party.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Durkheim wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:(lol to "mass" transit. Driving is the mass transit in STL, as I'm sure you know. "Public transit" on the other hand, makes more sense. Just messing with ya :wink: )

Hah. I wouldn't know, really. I drive. If I want a sexual assault scare, I'll go to the Halloween party.

I just meant general knowledge. WUSTL providing free Metro passes probably makes it seem like a good amount of people use public trans. But that's disproportional. Locals in general barely ever do, it just hardly goes anywhere, or often enough to apply to most people in STL.

I'm a fellow driver. I even live by a train stop and only use it to go to Cards/Blues games. Even with the free pass I'll probably drive to Wash U every day unless my car is out of commission.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:20 pm

I'll be relying on public transit. Wustl has a cheap car share if I need a car, and there's always taxis.

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
Durkheim wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:(lol to "mass" transit. Driving is the mass transit in STL, as I'm sure you know. "Public transit" on the other hand, makes more sense. Just messing with ya :wink: )

I just meant general knowledge. WUSTL providing free Metro passes probably makes it seem like a good amount of people use public trans. But that's disproportional. Locals in general barely ever do, it just hardly goes anywhere, or often enough to apply to most people in STL.

I'm a fellow driver. I even live by a train stop and only use it to go to Cards/Blues games. Even with the free pass I'll probably drive to Wash U every day unless my car is out of commission.

Gotcha. I said "mass transit" because it appears to be packed during rush hour AM and PM, and during the games you mentioned. It probably be "mass transit" if not for all the white fear keeping it out of certain neighborhoods.

Durkheim

Postby Durkheim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:27 pm

scotth724 wrote:I'll be relying on public transit. Wustl has a cheap car share if I need a car, and there's always taxis.

Okay. I'd suggest investigating units from Lindell going south. I hear lots of good things about Park 44, but your mileage may vary. Let me know if you become heavily reliant on taxis. One of my Fall classmates had a system that might be worth sharing (privately).

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”