WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bsktbll28082 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Looking at transferring here. Any info on housing? Where do law students usually live?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15403
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:26 pm

..

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 pm

sublime wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:Looking at transferring here. Any info on housing? Where do law students usually live?



Most live in the Loop or in The Central West End. The Loop is closer, but the CWE is probably nicer. I live in the Loop fwiw.

yup. Some of the older students (they generally tend to be married or have families) live in Clayton or Dogtown too

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Presidentjlh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Looking at transferring here. Any info on housing? Where do law students usually live?

I live in the CWE, it's generally more expensive, I got a good deal at the apartment I'm at, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Cheerios2014
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Cheerios2014 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi all,
A couple questions I have for current students (particularly any IP ones, but feel free to answer even if you're not).

1. What are the job prospects like coming out of WashU for IP-related work-- especially for someone who may already be a patent agent and have work experience?
2. How many students in a class typically pursue a career in IP?

Thanks in advance!

Cellar-door
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 am

Cheerios2014 wrote:Hi all,
A couple questions I have for current students (particularly any IP ones, but feel free to answer even if you're not).

1. What are the job prospects like coming out of WashU for IP-related work-- especially for someone who may already be a patent agent and have work experience?
2. How many students in a class typically pursue a career in IP?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think anyone really tracks the employment data with that kind of granularity.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:01 am

Cheerios2014 wrote:Hi all,
A couple questions I have for current students (particularly any IP ones, but feel free to answer even if you're not).

1. What are the job prospects like coming out of WashU for IP-related work-- especially for someone who may already be a patent agent and have work experience?
2. How many students in a class typically pursue a career in IP?

Thanks in advance!

1. Pretty standard. There is an IP boost, but no more or less than that of other schools. Patent agent/work experience will definitely help, but again, that's not school-specific.
2. Oh I dunno. . .5%? It's not George Washington, but there are a number of us. More importantly, there's a decent variety of IP-specific courses available. Again, not on the level of a George Washington, but I'd guess on par with most other schools.

gotsomequestions
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby gotsomequestions » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 am

Is getting a good grade as difficult as this thread makes it seem? I know law school is hard but reading back makes me thinK WUSTL profs are ridiculous, random graders and if you make one mini-mistake your rank could be ruined.

Cellar-door
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 am

gotsomequestions wrote:Is getting a good grade as difficult as this thread makes it seem? I know law school is hard but reading back makes me thinK WUSTL profs are ridiculous, random graders and if you make one mini-mistake your rank could be ruined.

That is law school everywhere. The curves can help or hurt you, and grading is often difficult to discern since there is often not much separation between student answers. The only grading negative for WUSTL versus others is that they grade (and curve) Legal writing, which can be rough.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 am

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:12 am

gotsomequestions wrote:Is getting a good grade as difficult as this thread makes it seem? I know law school is hard but reading back makes me thinK WUSTL profs are ridiculous, random graders and if you make one mini-mistake your rank could be ruined.


A lot of it depends on your professor. I wouldn't say any of them are "random" though. All the 1L professors from last term had a consistent enough perspective that you could read them fairly well if you paid attention. (Based on my experience and the experience of my friends who had different profs) There was one property professor who I think could be considered as random. If you know the law well enough, you'll know what you got wrong and why you lost points. Sure it might be because of a minor error, but you'll know why.

You should never assume that you will be top of your class as a 0L...but there are definitely things you can do to stack the deck in your favor and to improve your chances of doing well. But ultimately, the only thing that matters is your performance during the 3-4 hours of your final.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:30 pm

gotsomequestions wrote:Is getting a good grade as difficult as this thread makes it seem? I know law school is hard but reading back makes me thinK WUSTL profs are ridiculous, random graders and if you make one mini-mistake your rank could be ruined.


This is not a random sample of students.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15403
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:02 pm

..

User avatar
bsktbll28082
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bsktbll28082 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:06 pm

My current school has a curved LRW and it's no fun :/

I heard a lot of graduates do not stay in the area. What are the major markets? Is there hope for NY?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:28 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:49 am

gotsomequestions wrote:Is getting a good grade as difficult as this thread makes it seem? I know law school is hard but reading back makes me thinK WUSTL profs are ridiculous, random graders and if you make one mini-mistake your rank could be ruined.


It's the same anywhere, and, in retrospect, the professors here did a fine job I thought. The exams are difficult, yes, but they are not nearly as bad as some (including myself) made them out to be. But you'll feel as we did when we were approaching our first exams. It's stressful.

User avatar
Michael Bluth
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Michael Bluth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Signed up for my 3L Exit Interview yesterday. In the meantime, I've been bombarded with email reminders about the date and time, yet none of these emails have included the potentially-helpful information of, you know, where the interview is. But it's apparently "on campus," so that narrows it down.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:Signed up for my 3L Exit Interview yesterday. In the meantime, I've been bombarded with email reminders about the date and time, yet none of these emails have included the potentially-helpful information of, you know, where the interview is. But it's apparently "on campus," so that narrows it down.


Trying to figure out if this is actually a requirement. They were very matter-of-fact about stating that we will all be doing them.

User avatar
Michael Bluth
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Michael Bluth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:30 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:Signed up for my 3L Exit Interview yesterday. In the meantime, I've been bombarded with email reminders about the date and time, yet none of these emails have included the potentially-helpful information of, you know, where the interview is. But it's apparently "on campus," so that narrows it down.


Trying to figure out if this is actually a requirement. They were very matter-of-fact about stating that we will all be doing them.


But seriously, anyone know where these meetings are?

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby aesth24 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm sure this question has been answered and that I've probably read it, but what's the "safe zone" (if there is one) for big law prospects? Would top top 25% be borderline? Regardless of market, speaking in general terms.

WheatThins
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby WheatThins » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 pm

aesth24 wrote: what's the "safe zone" (if there is one) for big law prospects? Would top top 25% be borderline? Regardless of market, speaking in general terms.


Going to depend on your interview skills, work experience, ties to an area (did you go to high school in St. Louis?), background (IP?), diversity, and so on.

Top 25% is a pretty good place to be, but by no means "safe". There are surely people in the top quarter that strikeout every year for whatever reason (poor bidding, not hitting their secondary markets, no personal connections, etc).

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby aesth24 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 pm

WheatThins wrote:
aesth24 wrote: what's the "safe zone" (if there is one) for big law prospects? Would top top 25% be borderline? Regardless of market, speaking in general terms.


Going to depend on your interview skills, work experience, ties to an area (did you go to high school in St. Louis?), background (IP?), diversity, and so on.

Top 25% is a pretty good place to be, but by no means "safe". There are surely people in the top quarter that strikeout every year for whatever reason (poor bidding, not hitting their secondary markets, no personal connections, etc).


Okay, I have ties to LA/OC, but coming back isn't a top priority of mine. Hitting the NY/Chi/DC markets would be fine with me though I understand how difficult those markets are to break into. But you think top 25% would make you a possible candidate for any of those particular markets? LA/NY/Chi/DC

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby goldeneye » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:46 pm

^^You can PM if you want some thoughts.

Cellar-door
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Cellar-door » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 pm

aesth24 wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
aesth24 wrote: what's the "safe zone" (if there is one) for big law prospects? Would top top 25% be borderline? Regardless of market, speaking in general terms.


Going to depend on your interview skills, work experience, ties to an area (did you go to high school in St. Louis?), background (IP?), diversity, and so on.

Top 25% is a pretty good place to be, but by no means "safe". There are surely people in the top quarter that strikeout every year for whatever reason (poor bidding, not hitting their secondary markets, no personal connections, etc).


Okay, I have ties to LA/OC, but coming back isn't a top priority of mine. Hitting the NY/Chi/DC markets would be fine with me though I understand how difficult those markets are to break into. But you think top 25% would make you a possible candidate for any of those particular markets? LA/NY/Chi/DC


I've talked to graduates in NY and they say top 10% will definitely get you an interview at just about any firm, top 20% maybe, after that it is rough. Can't speak to the other cities as I haven't really looked into it.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 pm

.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest