WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stratocophic

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:42 am

chrisbru wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
lolwut? Your main concern is how dangerous the area is? Maybe you SHOULD pick Illinois and hang out in a cornfield forever...
? This is this guy's first post ever... pretty sure you're thinking of kk19131 in the 2011 applicants thread - he got pissy about the admissions office being slow to respond or something, declared that he would rather hang out with corn than do the WUSTL, and then for reasons unknown called STL the crime capital

and here's the quote. lol

kk19131 wrote:Well, Wash U, it was fun being admitted, but Illinois has done everything better than you for me this cycle - from the tuition guarantee, to the higher scholarship offer, right down to the nicer, engraved flash drive.

While I was looking forward to being in the crime capital of the U.S, I don't think you're worth the extra few thousand dollars.

:o

Ah, yes, I stand corrected. My apologies.
And now I really don't know what's happening in here

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 pm

now I'm completely lost too. can we go back to being an on-topic thread. chrisbru just made my brain hurt.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 pm

FuManChusco wrote:now I'm completely lost too. can we go back to being an on-topic thread. chrisbru just made my brain hurt.

I have that effect on people. My bad.

Back on topic, people, gosh!

What's the best law student bar in STL?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 pm

chrisbru wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:now I'm completely lost too. can we go back to being an on-topic thread. chrisbru just made my brain hurt.

I have that effect on people. My bad.

Back on topic, people, gosh!

What's the best law student bar in STL?
Library Annex and Tilaynya's (sp?) are up there

Can't give a definitive winner though, need other opinions

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:12 pm

stratocophic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:What's the best law student bar in STL?
Library Annex and Tilaynya's (sp?) are up there

Can't give a definitive winner though, need other opinions

I second your recommendations and I'll add a few of my own.

My favorite bars:

1. Talayna's- My favorite for sure. The place has karaoke, and then after like 12 or 1, they play AWESOME singing/dancing music (think BSB, Michael Jackson, N'Sync, old school rap, etc.) Plus it has an awesome vibe, with tons of neon lights and disco balls. And afterwards, you should head over to the Courtesy Diner next door and stuff your face.
2. Lib Annex- Beer pong, pool tables, dancing, and lots of tables to sit at. Pretty much whatever you're in the mood for, you can do it here.
3. Bar Louie- This bar is just "above average" in my opinion, but it seems like we always end up here. It is pretty much the main bar in CWE, so you're likely to see law students here.
4. Cicero's- Best beer selection and best wings in town.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 am

kk19131 wrote:So, where's the best place to take a good bowel movement?

AB Hall 4th floor handicap stall

romothesavior wrote:4. Cicero's- Best beer selection and best wings in town.

not an answer to the original question but http://www.thebridgestl.com

Field

Postby Field » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:16 pm

I just flew in to St. Louis. Pretty sure I will be attending WUSTL Law.

Can you please recommend apartments? How is the Dorchester?

If I get a car, is parking easy to obtain on campus?

FAR262

Postby FAR262 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:02 pm

beachbum wrote:Avoid the temptation to join a gang.

Pretty sure this will be the toughest thing for me if I attend WUSTL.

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:23 pm

stratocophic wrote:Image

Late.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:31 pm

deebs wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Image

Late.
Should've been in here helping out the 0Ls

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Hows the fitness center and is it open for convenient/extensive hours?

Im a bit of a fitness nut and wondering if the school's facilities will work or if I'm going to have to pay for a gym membership.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Field wrote:I just flew in to St. Louis. Pretty sure I will be attending WUSTL Law.

Can you please recommend apartments? How is the Dorchester?

If I get a car, is parking easy to obtain on campus?

The Dorchester is fine and it is in a nice area, but I think it is a little expensive (by St. Louis standards). I'd recommend checking out padmapper.com for apartments.

Also, this is a fantastic overview to housing:

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/lifeasweknowit/?p=202

My top three neighborhood recommendations are U-City, Clayton, and CWE.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:52 am

splitmuch wrote:Hows the fitness center and is it open for convenient/extensive hours?

Im a bit of a fitness nut and wondering if the school's facilities will work or if I'm going to have to pay for a gym membership.

As far as the gym goes... it's functional. It has three benching racks, four squat racks, a large dumbell selection, and a bunch of workout machines. Visually it definitely won't take your breath away though, its basically housed in a large cement basement. The gym can be crowded but I usually don't have to wait to use a machine, and when I have waited its never for more than a couple minutes.

The gym was open from 8am to 11pm fall term, but for some reason they shortened the closing time to 9pm in the Spring. No idea why, this was kind of annoying as I had to sort of rethink my schedule and it causes the gym to be a bit more crowded.

Also, for $35 a semester ($70 a year) you can get a membership to another cement room with a bunch of treadmills and elipticals in it.

I actually did join a gym, but ended up canceling my membership as I like the proximity and social aspect of the Wash U gym.

So basically, the gym is not great by any standards, but it's not worth choosing a different school over the issue. They are also planning on replacing it in the next few years... but that's not really relevant...

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Wait so there is a separate room for cardio stuff that's an additional fee? Or is there cardio stuff in the weight room too? And are there showers in the facility? (Weird question but I think itd be cool to take a study break to get a workout in and then head back tot he library before heading home )

Thanks for the input. Even if it didn't have a gym it wouldn't be an issue in regards to choosing a school, I'm just pretty sure I'll be going there so was wondering what to expect.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey Romo, thanks for everything this weekend. You were a big help for all of us.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Punisha20 wrote:Hey Romo, thanks for everything this weekend. You were a big help for all of us.

Anytime man, I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. Good luck with your decisions.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 pm

I searched the forums and ran through the thread, didn't see anything on this, but I apologize if I missed it:

Do you have any info on the TLP? What career paths do people there go down? What are the types of students that tend to do it? Any knowledge about the selectivity?

Thanks Romo!

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 pm

splitmuch wrote:Wait so there is a separate room for cardio stuff that's an additional fee? Or is there cardio stuff in the weight room too? And are there showers in the facility? (Weird question but I think itd be cool to take a study break to get a workout in and then head back tot he library before heading home )

Thanks for the input. Even if it didn't have a gym it wouldn't be an issue in regards to choosing a school, I'm just pretty sure I'll be going there so was wondering what to expect.

Yeah, there is a separate cardio room which grad students can use for $35.00/semester. Undergrads however get to use it for free. Kind of wierd, but in the long run $35.00 is really not a big deal, especially considering the price of joining a separate gym.

There are about 7 nice treadmills, another 8 really sh***y treadmills, and probably about 6 elipticals. Only once when I went were the nice treadmills all taken (they also have a 30 mins max rule when people are waiting).

As far as showers go you're fine, there are plenty of showers in the lockerroom. There is also a sauna! I have never used it, but the fact they have one is kind of cool, although a steam room would be even better.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm

wow i didn't even know this thread was around.

Well... I'm a 1L as well. I can take questions if anyone has some junk that hasn't been answered.

AA; 161/3.3; $$$$
Non-traditional (career in tech-consulting for 5yrs before school)
summer position: federal clerkship for district judge - 9th Cir. SanFran
grades: just missed top 1/3
hobbies: hip hop dance instructor

wildcard: i think my writing skills have gotten me far. Don't underestimate the importance of your legal writing class.

post or PM if you have something for me specifically. A lot of my classmates' advice has been great so far.

lushka

Postby lushka » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Does anyone know if taking the Scholars in Law Scholly means having to stay there for all 3 years or is transferring still an option after the first year without having to repay the 1st year money?!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm

lushka wrote:Does anyone know if taking the Scholars in Law Scholly means having to stay there for all 3 years or is transferring still an option after the first year without having to repay the 1st year money?!

it is not conditional. But I hope you've put in a lot of thought if you are already considering transferring.
1) you lose your scholly because accepting schools never give money
2) there is a 90% chance you will not be in the top 10% who would have a high probability of successful transfer
3) even if you are in the top 10%, you lose your rank when you transfer

There are a lot of things to think about.

samfii

Postby samfii » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:04 am

So I'm taking a tour very soon and meeting with an admissions counselor, is there any advice you guys can give me as to anything specific I should say or ask? Or any other advice in general? I'm super nervous and am really scared I'm going to say or do something idiotic :oops:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:23 pm

samfii wrote:So I'm taking a tour very soon and meeting with an admissions counselor, is there any advice you guys can give me as to anything specific I should say or ask? Or any other advice in general? I'm super nervous and am really scared I'm going to say or do something idiotic :oops:

Just relax and be yourself. Feel free to ask whatever is on your mind because everyone in admissions is really nice. I imagine you'll either meet with Krystal or Mary Ann, and both are very friendly and very open with prospective students. I would ask them any logistical/admissions types of questions (like merit aid, loan questions, deadlines, etc.) and ask your tour guide any student life or job questions. Everyone you interact with will be friendly, and I promise you that you aren't going to say anything idiotic or hurt your admissions process, so just be yourself!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm

samfii wrote:So I'm taking a tour very soon and meeting with an admissions counselor, is there any advice you guys can give me as to anything specific I should say or ask? Or any other advice in general? I'm super nervous and am really scared I'm going to say or do something idiotic :oops:

Here's my advice: nothing matters more than your numbers, so no matter what you say (good or bad), it's really not going to make much difference. But if you're literally right on the fence with your numbers, your desire to come to Wash U is probably a close second.

This isn't a job interview where people hyper-analyze every little thing you say. It's best to just relax, be yourself, and be a likable person (which hopefully comes naturally from being yourself :wink: ).

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:04 pm

This is most important. If you look like your avatar, come find me.
Srsly though, relax. It's just for you to find out how the school feels. Find some 1Ls to talk to if you can. We all tend to be really honest about our experience here and all the prospectives seem to really appreciate it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”