WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
burtmacklin

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby burtmacklin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:30 pm

How doable is New York from WUSTL? I'm originally from ny, and while I don't really care if I end up there, I would have a hard time convincing employers that I have ties anywhere else. I know about the externship thing in NYC for a semester, seems pretty cool, but can anyone give some insight on this? In general, does WUSTL's big law cutoff mean you can land big law in a variety of cities if you're above that cutoff?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:46 pm

burtmacklin wrote:How doable is New York from WUSTL? I'm originally from ny, and while I don't really care if I end up there, I would have a hard time convincing employers that I have ties anywhere else. I know about the externship thing in NYC for a semester, seems pretty cool, but can anyone give some insight on this? In general, does WUSTL's big law cutoff mean you can land big law in a variety of cities if you're above that cutoff?

There's a NY interview program. Last year, there were 20 employers. I'm aware of people as low as top 1/3 that got initial interviews, but most people that received offers were at least in the top 15/20% of their class. It's doable but not automatic by any stretch.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:48 pm

goldeneye wrote:
burtmacklin wrote:How doable is New York from WUSTL? I'm originally from ny, and while I don't really care if I end up there, I would have a hard time convincing employers that I have ties anywhere else. I know about the externship thing in NYC for a semester, seems pretty cool, but can anyone give some insight on this? In general, does WUSTL's big law cutoff mean you can land big law in a variety of cities if you're above that cutoff?

There's a NY interview program. Last year, there were about 20 employers listed. I'm aware of people as low as top 1/3 that got initial interviews, but most people that received offers were at least in the top 15/20% of their class. It's doable but not automatic by any stretch.

ETA: The externship program wouldn't happen until 3L or second semester 2L, so likely it won't have an impact on biglaw at that point. Those who have SA's at this point are in St. Louis, Chicago, DC, NYC. There are maybe a smattering elsewhere but that's the majority.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 pm

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 pm

sublime wrote:Btw, since I am already thinking/worried about shit I probably shouldn't be, how do we do LR? Half grade on, half write on?

Don't even worry about that now because you'll dread it enough when it happens. But those in the top 10% grade on so long as they put in a good faith effort. Then a certain number will write onto LR as well as the other journals based on a ranking system.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 pm

hoos89 wrote:

My impression is that if you're outside top 10% (and LR), then you'll need some plus factor(s), such as ties or being a great interviewer to have a good chance of getting an offer. And even then, you probably won't get many interviews outside about top 20%. That said, don't rely on the off campus program. Mass-mail early and mass-mail often. Do not wait until after OCI starts going poorly.

I would disagree that outside top 20% means you don't get many interviews or that you need plus factors outside the top 10% and LR. And I've never understood why someone isn't a "good interviewer". Just have a conversation.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 pm

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoseVI

Postby RoseVI » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 pm

sublime wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
sublime wrote:Btw, since I am already thinking/worried about shit I probably shouldn't be, how do we do LR? Half grade on, half write on?

Don't even worry about that now because you'll dread it enough when it happens. But those in the top 10% grade on so long as they put in a good faith effort. Then a certain number will write onto LR as well as the other journals based on a ranking system.

Thanks Goldeneye.

You'll get more info on this in late March/early April.

For what it's worth (having seen 180 write on submissions), if you write fairly coherently (on the right topic) and meet the page requirement, you'll make SOME publication.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:52 am

goldeneye wrote: And I've never understood why someone isn't a "good interviewer". Just have a conversation.

You've been in law school for well over a year, and you honestly don't understand this? You need to mix with a more diverse group of your classmates.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:14 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
goldeneye wrote: And I've never understood why someone isn't a "good interviewer". Just have a conversation.

You've been in law school for well over a year, and you honestly don't understand this? You need to mix with a more diverse group of your classmates.

I understand it to some level. Law students are very awkward in general.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 am

goldeneye wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

And somehow, just telling them "be less awkward in interviews" hasn't worked out for them. :)

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 am

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:24 am

sublime wrote:What's TCR for a class that offers up to 3 points for class participation? Just gun? It is Inazu if that matters.

I don't think it requires much (if any) gunning to get full participation points in his class. Just don't be a complete idiot when he cold calls you, occasionally offer an answer when he puts one up for grabs, and go to his office hours occasionally so he knows your name. That is really all it takes.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

And somehow, just telling them "be less awkward in interviews" hasn't worked out for them. :)

Even if everyone was a great interviewer (spoilers: not the case), you are still going into a screener with 20 of your classmates with comparable grades (god bless preselect). How many will they take for callbacks? Not a huge amount. And you are interviewing with 20 of the same ~35 people for every interview (if you are in the top ~15% or so). If you are out of the top 20%, you'll be lucky to grab more than 5 screeners, bar something else on your resume. And then you are still competing against the kids with far better grades, some of whom will be better interviewers. So even if everyone is a 'good interviewer', some percentage of the kids are going to be not as good interviewers.

If you have any concerns about your interviewing and don't have something else on your resume, and you get the good grades to transfer out - transfer to some school with a lottery system.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:23 pm

hoos89 wrote:Out of curiosity, how do you know this? Did he tell people what they got for participation?

It's what I did and he told me I got full participation points. I know a few other people who did basically that too and said they got full participation points. I'm pretty sure he just does it to make sure there is class interaction and that people do their readings/be ready to be cold-called on.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:31 pm

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Birdnals wrote:
sublime wrote:What's TCR for a class that offers up to 3 points for class participation? Just gun? It is Inazu if that matters.

I don't think it requires much (if any) gunning to get full participation points in his class. Just don't be a complete idiot when he cold calls you, occasionally offer an answer when he puts one up for grabs, and go to his office hours occasionally so he knows your name. That is really all it takes.

Same advice for Kim's civ pro? Syllabus says grading based primarily on final and "classroom performance will also be taken into account."

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Sorry to change the subject but I was wondering where most people that hoover around median end up employment wise? Especially those that want to stay in STL after graduation? Thanks.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:51 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:Sorry to change the subject but I was wondering where most people that hoover around median end up employment wise? Especially those that want to stay in STL after graduation? Thanks.

Probably looking at mid-size to small firm. Biglaw generally dips to about top 1/3. Being in StL, definitely join the Missouri Bar Association for law students and the like and begin to network since St. Louis really is a tight knit place.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:40 pm

How much do the cut-offs vary year to year? Are the Fall 1L cutoffs generally higher than the Spring cutoffs?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm

cusenation wrote:How much do the cut-offs vary year to year? Are the Fall 1L cutoffs generally higher than the Spring cutoffs?

You can check the percentiles. It's negligible but people can move a lot second semester.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:17 pm

what actually happens when you submit a transcript request for transfer? Are you removed from the ranking completely and have no rank? Or do you retain your rank but everyone else just shifts up and someone else now occupies your spot with you? If you apply early (ED or EA), do you still retain your Fall rank and given a end-of-year rank after the Spring?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”