WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
goldeneye

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby goldeneye » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Birdnals wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
sublime wrote:How serious is the intercession? Particularly the mock interview?

Lol.

Intersession is a joke. I don't think I signed up for any of the seminars, and just went to the ones I thought sounded interesting.

I actually found the mock interview extremely helpful. I stayed in touch with the lady who did my mock interview and she was a huge asset in finding my 2L summer job. The mock interview is really the only part of intersession I think you should take seriously.

I shouldn't have been so brief early but this is true. Mock interview was helpful for sure but the rest of it was just okay. YMMV but the career session info is useful in spurts. Show up to negotiating class because it's an easy credit and just relax. Everyone will be on edge about grades so just stay sane.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:14 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
goldeneye wrote:People probably won't drop out until they see the grade distributions.

I believe we have had 2 for personal reasons (not grades). But with so many on full rides, even with bad grades there isn't a huge incentive to leave.

In my experience, though, there is a semi-strong correlation between the amount of someone's scholarship and grades. Of course there are exceptions both ways. There may be "so many on full rides," but it's not more than half the class. And anyone below there is in trouble.

Edit: Let me clarify that. Yeah, there are lots of people on full rides. They can probably stay no matter what (even though there is still opportunity cost). There are also people without much scholarship money who kicked ass and should also stick it out. But there is a huge swath of students paying $150K or more, and who are at or below median. It's a trickier situation for that group.

What do you think about people below (or well below) median without ties to MO, but on full rides? Should these people be considering dropping out?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 am

WanderingPondering wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
goldeneye wrote:People probably won't drop out until they see the grade distributions.

I believe we have had 2 for personal reasons (not grades). But with so many on full rides, even with bad grades there isn't a huge incentive to leave.

In my experience, though, there is a semi-strong correlation between the amount of someone's scholarship and grades. Of course there are exceptions both ways. There may be "so many on full rides," but it's not more than half the class. And anyone below there is in trouble.

Edit: Let me clarify that. Yeah, there are lots of people on full rides. They can probably stay no matter what (even though there is still opportunity cost). There are also people without much scholarship money who kicked ass and should also stick it out. But there is a huge swath of students paying $150K or more, and who are at or below median. It's a trickier situation for that group.

What do you think about people below (or well below) median without ties to MO, but on full rides? Should these people be considering dropping out?

If I were sure I wanted to be a lawyer and I had a clear plan for what kind of non-big law employment to pursue, I wouldn't drop out if on a full ride. Unless you're spending way too much on living expenses, you shouldn't have more than 60 or 70k of debt at graduation, and that gives you a lot of flexibility to find jobs outside of big law.

bulinus

Postby bulinus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:40 pm

On the topic of people leaving, how does that affect the posted cutoffs for class rank? Does it matter whether people drop out or transfer up?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:39 pm

bulinus wrote:On the topic of people leaving, how does that affect the posted cutoffs for class rank? Does it matter whether people drop out or transfer up?

Haha the transfer thing was a disaster last year. It's a few pages back here. People that leave are just removed. Don't worry about that now though. Both semesters are equally weighted.

disco_stu

Postby disco_stu » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:43 pm

Anyone have an opinion on Tuch for Corporations? It looks like this is only his second time teaching the course, and I'm waaaaay too lazy to write my own outline from scratch.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Does the 1 credit intersession course in negotiation have a final exam? Or is pass/fail determined by attendance?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:35 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Does the 1 credit intersession course in negotiation have a final exam? Or is pass/fail determined by attendance?

Attendance. Go to every class. It's fairly useful.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Definitely will attend each class, but glad there's no real pressure to it either.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:41 pm

St Louis in not so good at removing a few inches of snow as seen a few days ago. I can't imagine how poorly they'll handle this, a foot already and more over the next day.

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:13 pm

So a judge asked me to give firm dates for when I can start my 1L judicial internship and when it will end. In light of that:

Finals end May 2nd, but it sound like I will need some time to do write on for journals. How much time will I need/have?

The Fall 2014 semester begins August 22, EIW was Aug 12-15 last year, and OCI was in September.

What are the differences between EIW and OCI? The advantages?

My judicial internship is in a my home market (secondary) that I am targeting post law school and I am thinking it is better to be interviewing for 2L jobs there in early August than participate in EIW. Is it reasonable to tell the judge I have until mid-August?

RoseVI

Postby RoseVI » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm

nachosrgood wrote:So a judge asked me to give firm dates for when I can start my 1L judicial internship and when it will end. In light of that:

Finals end May 2nd, but it sound like I will need some time to do write on for journals. How much time will I need/have?

Write On runs from the Saturday after exam period ends through the following Friday (in this case, 3d-9th). You can turn it in early, but very few do.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:03 pm

nachosrgood wrote:So a judge asked me to give firm dates for when I can start my 1L judicial internship and when it will end. In light of that:

The Fall 2014 semester begins August 22, EIW was Aug 12-15 last year, and OCI was in September.

My judicial internship is in a my home market (secondary) that I am targeting post law school and I am thinking it is better to be interviewing for 2L jobs there in early August than participate in EIW. Is it reasonable to tell the judge I have until mid-August?

Don't skip OCI. You can interview at EIW and schedule home market interviews around it. No reason to skip it.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 pm

If anyone is taking Individual Rights and the Constitution with Dinner, I have a loose-leaf copy of the book for sale (but not the supplement). PM me if interested.

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:23 pm

hoos89 wrote:

Early interview week IS OCI. Most firms will come during that period. Don't skip it. You also should probably go to off campus stuff, which is earlier in August. I would probably tell him that you're going to be done somewhere around July 31. And if you have to leave a day or two early to go to interviews, do it. That said, the harsh truth of the matter is that the majority of students will not have the grades to get many (if any) interviews at EIW, OCI, or off campus interviews. So if you happen to be one of those people, then yes your time would probably be better spent in your home market, and you shouldn't wait until August to start looking for jobs/networking with attorneys in your home market.

ETA: It shouldn't really hurt you to leave your summer job a couple of weeks early. Even if you want to take those weeks to do stuff in your home market, that will be a heck of a lot easier if you're not working.

Good advice.

simpleAs

Postby simpleAs » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 am

Has anyone taken or heard about advanced legal research or advanced legal writing? Finalizing my schedule, looking to minimize number of exams and maybe learn some useful things for next summer. But I'm wondering if they (especially legal research) are as mind numbing as their 1L counterparts.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:12 am

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:32 am

sublime wrote:What are those cutoffs? I have heard they look something like 5/10/25/33? But even if that is the case, what does that actually mean, moreso than the higher you are, the more places you can bid on?

I am guessing you are talking about 2L OCI/ early interview week?

You can bid on a set number of places, regardless of grades. However, most firms list a cutoff they prefer. For almost all this is at least top 3rd, with the better firms setting higher cuttoffs. I believe screening interviews is 100% firm selections, so you can apply/bid if you are below those cuttoffs but they probably aren't going to even screen you and if they do you almost certainly won't get a call back unless there is something about you that wows the interviewer.

Top 5% will get pretty much any firm they bid on as long as their cover letter and resume aren't messed up. Same to a lesser extent to top 10. Top 15 will need a little more work on the cover letter/resume but should get most places they bid on for at least a screening. After that, 20-33 need to put in work on the front end and really make personalized cover-letters to get many screeners. Really focus on places you have ties to, and if that is DC/New York then do the DC/New York walk-around interviews CS offers.

This is all almost 9 months away though, and if you haven't found a 1L summer job yet you should be sending out your resume to anybody in the market you want to work in that will hire 1L's.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:36 am

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:41 am

sublime wrote:Thanks Birdinals.

And yea. I really do need to get on that 1L job. Although I am a bit less concerned about it than some of my friends since I am trying to stay here.

Just seems almost pointless without grades.

I thought this too, and it was a huge mistake. There are places like county prosecutors and other such which don't require grades. Ask your CSO who has come to interview 1L's during 1L OCI in the past and then apply everywhere except those places. Worst case, you have a cover letter and resume for them, they tell you to update them when you have grades, and your resume gets 2 looks by somebody on the recruiting committee.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 am

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 pm

I haven't talked to a single 2L/3L who has received a grade. Is something up in the admin office?

Mostly, I'm annoyed that I even care.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous at this point. They said they'll be ready by Jan. 22, which is more than a month since exam period ended.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”