WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:26 pm

I actually thought it was kinda easy for what I expected, but that's probably a bad sign for me.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:31 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
Birdnals wrote:Any last couple days advice from 3L's and above about Rosen's Evidence Exam? Anything we should be focusing on specifically?

It is very important to get yourself on the same screwy wavelength that Rosen's brain operates on. Otherwise, you will be forced to guess between two equally valid choices on almost every MC question. I suggest telling your close friends war stories whenever you get the chance over the next few days.

I don't say this out of bitterness; I did OK on his exam. I also got lucky.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I heard. The worst part is he isn't even consistent with the application of Rosen Law vs. Real Law. In some situations it seems like he wants Rosen law, and in others he will tell you Rosen Law but wants the actual law.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:40 pm

My plan is just to use buzz words he likes such as crocodilian and use all his war stories as analogous cases, then spend the last hour shopping for a frame for my Cali.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:01 pm

hoos89 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:My plan is just to use buzz words he likes such as crocodilian and use all his war stories as analogous cases, then spend the last hour shopping for a frame for my Cali.

I'm sure that will help you on the multiple choice. I'm going to go ahead and assume that any choice that includes something about a pedophile is TCR.

Multiple choice I'm just going to make patterns down the Scantron. It's Christmas time, so I assume a tree will be a nice touch.

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:28 pm

[quote}Birdnals wrote:
Any last couple days advice from 3L's and above about Rosen's Evidence Exam? Anything we should be focusing on specifically?

It is very important to get yourself on the same screwy wavelength that Rosen's brain operates on. Otherwise, you will be forced to guess between two equally valid choices on almost every MC question. I suggest telling your close friends war stories whenever you get the chance over the next few days.

I don't say this out of bitterness; I did OK on his exam. I also got lucky.
[/quote]

He did not get lucky. He studied all semester. But also realize that his essay question might be one very obscure issue. And there might not be a whole hell of a lot to say on it. Better to exahust what there is to say, then spend half your time pondering non-issues.

Also his MC have some pretty obscure content. All of the content is, however, something that he brought up in class/usually in his notes.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Lol, I just did one of Mandy's old exams and looked at the best answer from that exam, there's no logic to it, there isn't. I just don't care now.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:58 pm

I believe that is true, I have stopped really caring at this point.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03 am

I heard something about the law library being taken over by the undergrad library. True?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:04 am

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 am

Yeah they are merging the law library with undergrad resources. Berwick is taking early retirement. It sounds like it is a money saving tactic.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:32 am

When in January do grades usually come out? I'm just wondering when the horrible fear can evolve into pathetic acceptance.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:36 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:When in January do grades usually come out? I'm just wondering when the horrible fear can evolve into pathetic acceptance.

Anywhere from shortly after NYE to your second week of classes, depending on how lazy your professor is.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:38 am

goldeneye wrote:Yeah they are merging the law library with undergrad resources. Berwick is taking early retirement. It sounds like it is a money saving tactic.

I'm assuming this just means cutting duplicative overhead, and that the undergrad will simply administer both libraries now?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:14 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:When in January do grades usually come out? I'm just wondering when the horrible fear can evolve into pathetic acceptance.

Heard Greenfield is pretty quick with his

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:23 am

cusenation wrote:

Heard Greenfield is pretty quick with his

How long could it take him to do this?

I'm kidding. I think. Kind of.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:46 am

Don't worry about your grades over winter break. You'll have more fun relaxing.

They're eliminating redundancies and I do believe undergrad will take over the law library but they said we'll still be offered IT and Library Resources.

I actually hope we get rid of some of our library books because they are a waste of space. Though that is a multiple year project.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:50 am

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:59 am

Winter break is weird for 1Ls, because you are so hyped up, and in this fight or flight mode where you've been doing something constantly law related for the previous four months, you forget how to just relax. After the last exam for 1L, just relax, put away all your books, and forget about school for a month. You are still going to be wound up (I couldn't sit still for about 3 days because I always felt I needed to be doing something) but do something more fun or useful than worrying about grades, like Christmas shopping, cleaning up your place after trashing it for the last month, reading for pleasure, or playing video games.

My personal advice is to not check grades until after the first of the year, because you are most likely going to be disappoint in some sense (even if you did well, you're going to kick yourself because you didn't put that one last issue on the test, which could've made you excel) or if you felt you did poor, you are just going to drive yourself crazy to see how poor you did (even though you likely didn't do as bad as you think). Grades likely won't be up until around the first or second week of the year anyway, so no use driving yourself crazy.

Then there's going to be the people who are checking grades every five minutes on the facebook page, and post when they are up. Those are the worse, because then you feel you have to look. Try to resist, enjoy the holidays, and get away from the law for just a few weeks at least.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 pm

^^^This is good advice.

Also, you can always start working on the job search if you need something to do. Lots of mid sized and smaller firms that hire 1L's in the summer you can start looking at, especially if you are going home for the break, doing a little due diligence and shooting a few "I'm going to be in town during this time period and would love a chance to set up a lunch to talk about your firm" emails is helpful. Worst case scenario they don't hire 1L's and you have made connections for your 2L summer.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Oh yes, job search. I had something pretty much lined up already, so that wasn't my focused last winter. But work on figuring out what you want to apply for, get a spotless resume, a few cover letters that you can adjust by region/interests. Most competitive places are going to want grades first, so you can apply now, and update with grades after they come out (I recommend that, since you get a double dose of looking at your app materials) or just have it ready so you can spam out the world after your final grade comes in. But really, do some things you enjoy first, and gain a bit of your humanity back.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”