WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Presidentjlh

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Presidentjlh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Took one of Greenfield's old exams.

3 pages, very few issues...

I'd rather it be a 7 page hypo.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:51 pm

sublime wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:Took one of Greenfield's old exams.

3 pages, very few issues...

I'd rather it be a 7 page hypo.

Yea, I am half taking the 82 one now. Shit is hard.

Same.

Fortunately, the one we're to take is supposed to be a single long hypo with 3 questions, that suggested good things to me.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:19 pm

starting to feel for the greenfield kids :cry: ...lots of misery around me. But for real...it seems kind of unreasonable to only post two old finals from the 80's and also refuse to release a model answer or review an answer during office hours if you're giving a 4-hour closed book K's exam...and i've seen the '82 and '83 finals in the exam bank, they're just substantively way harder than mine...Seems unfair.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:24 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:25 pm

The curve, people. The curve. It's far better for an exam to be too hard than too easy.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:29 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:40 pm

sublime wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:The curve, people. The curve. It's far better for an exam to be too hard than too easy.

If you are on the right side of it, that is. 8)

Of course :)

But merit has a better chance of winning out on a harder exam. Isn't that preferable to chaos?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:45 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:50 pm

sublime wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
sublime wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:The curve, people. The curve. It's far better for an exam to be too hard than too easy.

If you are on the right side of it, that is. 8)

Of course :)

But merit has a better chance of winning out on a harder exam. Isn't that preferable to chaos?

At this point..... I may prefer the latter. :lol:

But generally, yea, I would prefer merit. And it also seems like that is the exam where just knowing the material will not even matter, more what you do with it.

In my experience, that's every exam. For almost any class, 90% of the people completely get the material come exam time. I can think of very few classes (maybe bankruptcy, tax, fedjur) where you can distinguish yourself just by knowing the material.

But then again, I hear your class dropped a point in LSAT median, so maybe... :wink:

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Goldwasser's Torts exam was quite easy for me, but then again, I imagine it was for a lot of my classmates.

I THINK I know Contracts, but I'm not sure, I've been somewhat studying Contracts since early November, yet, I can't trust myself, I never feel I studied properly, got too distracted while studying (like now) or something of the like.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:33 am

cusenation wrote:starting to feel for the greenfield kids :cry: ...lots of misery around me. But for real...it seems kind of unreasonable to only post two old finals from the 80's and also refuse to release a model answer or review an answer during office hours if you're giving a 4-hour closed book K's exam...and i've seen the '82 and '83 finals in the exam bank, they're just substantively way harder than mine...Seems unfair.

I don't have a problem with any of that, as it's still a level playing field across the board(Don't get me wrong, every indication shows that it's gonna be brutally hard). What I do think is kinda screwy is the unknown word limit he's putting in this year, without any indication of how restrictive it'll be. Also, it's completely unfair that he always curves to the minimum mean, just give everyone another point c'mon man.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Dolphine wrote:
cusenation wrote:starting to feel for the greenfield kids :cry: ...lots of misery around me. But for real...it seems kind of unreasonable to only post two old finals from the 80's and also refuse to release a model answer or review an answer during office hours if you're giving a 4-hour closed book K's exam...and i've seen the '82 and '83 finals in the exam bank, they're just substantively way harder than mine...Seems unfair.

I don't have a problem with any of that, as it's still a level playing field across the board(Don't get me wrong, every indication shows that it's gonna be brutally hard). What I do think is kinda screwy is the unknown word limit he's putting in this year, without any indication of how restrictive it'll be. Also, it's completely unfair that he always curves to the minimum mean, just give everyone another point c'mon man.

Your second point is valid, but you shouldn't even be worrying about points right now. Last year, 2 of one section's professors gave out 100s, where as a different section had no professors give anything higher than 98. So if you want to be nitpicky, the latter section was at a 2 point disadvantage, but really, it shouldn't be worried about.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:23 pm

goldeneye wrote:So if you want to be nitpicky, the latter section was at a 2 point disadvantage

No, they weren't. Please stop reinforcing the stereotype that law students suck at math :)

Dolphine's complaint about greenfield is credited. This one, not so much.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
goldeneye wrote:So if you want to be nitpicky, the latter section was at a 2 point disadvantage

No, they weren't. Please stop reinforcing the stereotype that law students suck at math :)

seriously. Co2013 had that situation but slightly more pronounced - I'm pretty sure I snapped somewhere unthread after I got sick of 3 years of the grousing and did my best to explain how it basically affected nobody, to the point that I was pulling up averages and max scores from all fall 1L classes.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm currently enrolled in Business Acquisitions with Swiecicki and Business Negotiation Theory and Practice with Shulenburger.
Does anyone know if these classes/professors are good?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:56 pm

stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

seriously. Co2013 had that situation but slightly more pronounced - I'm pretty sure I snapped somewhere unthread after I got sick of 3 years of the grousing and did my best to explain how it basically affected nobody, to the point that I was pulling up averages and max scores from all fall 1L classes.

Woah, haha. I'm not that dedicated to the issue, but I respect your effort.

But really, it's simple math.

The irony is that your class was complaining about the opposite problem: Romo's section was pissed that one of their profs gave out 4 100s, because that destroyed the curved for everyone else in that section.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:03 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

Woah, haha. I'm not that dedicated to the issue, but I respect your effort.

But really, it's simple math.

The irony is that your class was complaining about the opposite problem: Romo's section was pissed that one of their profs gave out 4 100s, because that destroyed the curved for everyone else in that section.
nah, i was in one of the 2 sections that was in that class. other sections were pissed that 4 100s went out in that class because they think it screwed the other curve for all sections. however, when you look at average max grades etc for the classes each section had, those 2 sections didn't even come out on top. not gonna go through the math again but it was just griping (for 3 straight years) without taking the time to look at what the actual data meant.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:44 am

I'd rather be on the 100's curve than the 86.5 curve. If its a 40 person class (as the sections have been this year), a professor curving to an 86.5 is pretty much taking away 40 points that could be divided up amongst the others. While a professor on a 87.5 curve giving 4 people 100's instead of say, a 96, is only taking away 16 points from the non-100s.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:19 am

Dolphine wrote:I'd rather be on the 100's curve than the 86.5 curve. If its a 40 person class (as the sections have been this year), a professor curving to an 86.5 is pretty much taking away 40 points that could be divided up amongst the others. While a professor on a 87.5 curve giving 4 people 100's instead of say, a 96, is only taking away 16 points from the non-100s.

Looking at last year Greenfield's mean was 86.9 Smith mean was at 87.3. Year before it was 86.8 and 87 respectively, so between those two at least it has been pretty close.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 am

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:57 am

Any last couple days advice from 3L's and above about Rosen's Evidence Exam? Anything we should be focusing on specifically?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Birdnals wrote:Any last couple days advice from 3L's and above about Rosen's Evidence Exam? Anything we should be focusing on specifically?

It is very important to get yourself on the same screwy wavelength that Rosen's brain operates on. Otherwise, you will be forced to guess between two equally valid choices on almost every MC question. I suggest telling your close friends war stories whenever you get the chance over the next few days.

I don't say this out of bitterness; I did OK on his exam. I also got lucky.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”