WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Klogon

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby Klogon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:01 pm

If I am flying in to visit for ASD, should I rent a car or just take the public trans?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:What are the WUSTL-owned apartments like directly around the campus?

Is it a loud neighborhood?

Also, anyone going to the housing day?

There's a page in the admitted student section about the different neighborhoods.

Not going to the housing day since I'll be checking out the neighborhoods during ASW.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:08 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:What are the WUSTL-owned apartments like directly around the campus?

Is it a loud neighborhood?

Also, anyone going to the housing day?

In my limited apartment hunting experience, the WUSTL-owned apartments were kind of sub-standard...but I went apartment hunting pretty late, so perhaps the good ones were already taken. I found a nice one from an internet website that was much better than any WUSTL-owned one, and it is at a very good price. I'm probably going to keep it for another year.

I would start looking early, and I would try to branch out as far as possible from only WUSTL apartments.

brownstudy

Postby brownstudy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks for all the information! I've been admitted to WUSTL and it seems to be a great place.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm

I don't live in WUSTL student housing and I don't think you really need to. I've been in a WUSTL apartment, and it was okay. You can find great deals on padmapper.com and sites like craiglist if you start looking early. I found an absolute gem of an apartment about 20 minutes from school a little east of the Loop, fully furnished for $500 a month (with a roommate).

leebyman1

Postby leebyman1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Ok, so I'm waiting to hear back from all of the 13 schools I've applied to. Evaluating scholarships, waitlists, prestige versus money, etc. Then I read in this forum the following for jcougar:

"and the chicks around town think WUSTL is like Harvard or something. It's pretty easy to get some numbers if you go to WUSTL law."

Sold. I think I'm going to send them a deposit today.

Thanks dude- that's really all I wanted to hear.

Caleb

Field

Postby Field » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:03 pm

HI,

I am trying to decide between University of Illinois and WUSTL Law - great scholarships to each.
My #1 concern is that WUSTL is ranked 12th most dangerous campus in the US and St. Louis is the #1 capital for murder. I've never been to St. Louis. What is the area like around campus and within a mile range? Are clincs in high crime neighborhoods? Where is the best place to live (single apt )? Is it easy to obtain student parking?
Thx!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Field wrote:HI,

I am trying to decide between University of Illinois and WUSTL Law - great scholarships to each.
My #1 concern is that WUSTL is ranked 12th most dangerous campus in the US and St. Louis is the #1 capital for murder. I've never been to St. Louis. What is the area like around campus and within a mile range? Are clincs in high crime neighborhoods? Where is the best place to live (single apt )? Is it easy to obtain student parking?
Thx!

I've talked about this (can't remember if it's this thread or a different thread), but I really don't feel like this is a dangerous city, especially the WUSTL neighborhood or the other neighborhoods where students live. At least any more dangerous than any other large metropolitan area. And the geography of St. Louis kind of exaggerates the murder rate because the city limits are so small and the close-in suburbs are left out of the murder-rate calculations (areas that, in other metropolitan areas, would be considered part of the city, and help average out the high-crime rates in the inner city). I walk/bike around the city very late at night...and I generally don't feel unsafe.

Also, in general, no matter what city you live in, murder rate isn't something students should be considering. Before going to WUSTL Law, I attended graduate school in Chicago. Chicago usually has between 400 and 600 murders per year, but if you really look at those statistics in depth, 90% of those murders are either related to drugs or gang activity or both. So unless you are gang bangin' or slinging dope, you're relatively safe no matter what neighborhood you live in, no matter what city you live in...at least murder-wise.

If you are really worried about safety, you should look for an apartment in the Clayton neighborhood -- an affluent suburb bordering the WUSTL campus on the west side. You can take the train from downtown Clayton right to the law school, or you can drive if you wish. Neighborhoods such as the Loop to the North are pretty fun as well, but can be sketchy at times...but should be fine for anyone used to living in a big city. Central West End is kind of yuppie-urban-chic as well, but nothing unusually unsafe by big-city standards.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

The problem with St. Louis is that nice neighborhoods can butt up against bad ones, and sometimes you'll have a bad apple in a good area. I have never felt particularly unsafe, at least not compared to other places I've lived. I did have a supposed shooting near my apartment over the past weekend, but it has been the only incident I've heard of in my neighborhood all year. Some of the areas in St. Louis are incredibly rough and sketchy, but they aren't places you'd want to go anyways.

Campus seems plenty safe, and there is parking right next to the law building. Campus has a lot of light and we've got a pretty solid police force.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 pm

St. Louis isn't nearly as bad as certain articles/rankings would have you believe. The best advice I can give you is, like in any other big city, don't be stupid. Do your best to avoid the rough areas. Don't walk around by yourself after dark. Don't leave valuables (or anything, really) in plain view in your car. Avoid the temptation to join a gang.

I've lived in St. Louis (Midtown/CWE) for four years now, and the worst thing that's happened to me was when someone stole the stickers from my license plates. That's it. Of course, I know people who have had it worse (mostly robberies, sometimes armed), but these incidents almost always occurred while the individual in question was doing something stupid (i.e. walking alone at night). So don't be stupid.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Thx!

lolwut? Your main concern is how dangerous the area is? Maybe you SHOULD pick Illinois and hang out in a cornfield forever...

Field

Postby Field » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for the responses re: safety. I just made airline reservations. Flying out Thursday for Friday's orientation. :)

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Thx!

lolwut? Your main concern is how dangerous the area is? Maybe you SHOULD pick Illinois and hang out in a cornfield forever...
? This is this guy's first post ever... pretty sure you're thinking of kk19131 in the 2011 applicants thread - he got pissy about the admissions office being slow to respond or something, declared that he would rather hang out with corn than do the WUSTL, and then for reasons unknown called STL the crime capital

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 pm

stratocophic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Thx!

? This is this guy's first post ever... pretty sure you're thinking of kk19131 in the 2011 applicants thread - he got pissy about the admissions office being slow to respond or something, declared that he would rather hang out with corn than do the WUSTL, and then for reasons unknown called STL the crime capital

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 pm

stratocophic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Thx!

and here's the quote. lol

kk19131 wrote:Well, Wash U, it was fun being admitted, but Illinois has done everything better than you for me this cycle - from the tuition guarantee, to the higher scholarship offer, right down to the nicer, engraved flash drive.

While I was looking forward to being in the crime capital of the U.S, I don't think you're worth the extra few thousand dollars.

:o

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 pm

kk19131 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Thx!

Reading comprehension pwned

Good thing I faked it well enough to satisfy the LSAT

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 pm

looooooool

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I have no idea what just happened.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 am

Jesus Christ man I'm reading about my prospective schools and the fuckin thread gets all David Lynch on me. The only thing we're missing here is a dood post.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 am

So, where's the best place to take a good bowel movement?

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:35 am

kk19131 wrote:So, where's the best place to take a good bowel movement?

Before this is dismissed as a flame I'd like to second it. Sometimes you just need a good place on campus to take a crap. Whenever I'm on a tour or visiting a campus in some capacity I like to case the bathrooms. Identify the college within the university that has the most $$$ and newest buildings and try there and their respective libraries. I have about two or three on each quad that meet my standards:

-clean (obviously)
-coat hooks (bathroom stalls without coat hooks in each are one of my biggest pet peeves)
-if automatic flusher, one that's mounted on the toilet as opposed to the wall so you can cover the sensor with toilet paper so it doesn't flush on you
-has decent doors without huge gaps that people can see into
-stalls NOT located directly across from mirrors (good god man, why?)

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 am

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
kk19131 wrote:So, where's the best place to take a good bowel movement?

Before this is dismissed as a flame I'd like to second it. Sometimes you just need a good place on campus to take a crap. Whenever I'm on a tour or visiting a campus in some capacity I like to case the bathrooms. Identify the college within the university that has the most $$$ and newest buildings and try there and their respective libraries. I have about two or three on each quad that meet my standards:

-clean (obviously)
-coat hooks (bathroom stalls without coat hooks in each are one of my biggest pet peeves)
-if automatic flusher, one that's mounted on the toilet as opposed to the wall so you can cover the sensor with toilet paper so it doesn't flush on you
-has decent doors without huge gaps that people can see into
-stalls NOT located directly across from mirrors (good god man, why?)

THIS.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 am

This is really turning into a shitty discussion.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 am

chrisbru wrote:

Thx!

Harvard is ranked higher for crime that Wash U. Does that change your mind? The Daily Beast Rank is a bit unfair because its based on self reported numbers (hmm...) and some schools tend to be more honest than others.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 am

FuManChusco wrote:
? This is this guy's first post ever... pretty sure you're thinking of kk19131 in the 2011 applicants thread - he got pissy about the admissions office being slow to respond or something, declared that he would rather hang out with corn than do the WUSTL, and then for reasons unknown called STL the crime capital[/quote]

and here's the quote. lol

kk19131 wrote:Well, Wash U, it was fun being admitted, but Illinois has done everything better than you for me this cycle - from the tuition guarantee, to the higher scholarship offer, right down to the nicer, engraved flash drive.

While I was looking forward to being in the crime capital of the U.S, I don't think you're worth the extra few thousand dollars.

:o
[/quote]

Ah, yes, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”