WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dietcoke0

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby dietcoke0 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Get a decent one, and just fill it up at the soda machine on the third floor by the cafe.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 am

Any thoughts on running for sba? What do you do and how much of a time commitment is it?

kraeton

Postby kraeton » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 am

Re: the 19 credits for the JD requirement that is not classified under "regularly scheduled class sessions at the law school," uh.... what is it exactly? I took an MBA course for the hell of it and got credit for it, but exactly what classes?

"Course work completed in another department, school or college of Washington
University (including the 9 units transferred from joint degree programs)" seems incredibly broad, and I'm getting various answers from fellow students as well as from some staff. http://law.wustl.edu/academics/document ... eduled.pdf

I'll ask around some more, but some clarification would be great. Thanks.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:13 am

MBA classes count against your 19 credit limit. Anything taken either outside the law school or in school for credit/no credit grading counts on that category.

kraeton

Postby kraeton » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 am

TatteredDignity wrote:MBA classes count against your 19 credit limit. Anything taken either outside the law school or in school for credit/no credit grading counts on that category.

ANYTHING??? Like... I could take Japanese 101 with undergrads and get credit for that towards my total 86 credit JD requirement? I could've sworn someone told me i couldn't do that. I'd at least have to take a grad-level course whatever that means

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 pm

kraeton wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:MBA classes count against your 19 credit limit. Anything taken either outside the law school or in school for credit/no credit grading counts on that category.

ANYTHING??? Like... I could take Japanese 101 with undergrads and get credit for that towards my total 86 credit JD requirement? I could've sworn someone told me i couldn't do that. I'd at least have to take a grad-level course whatever that means

He's talking about the 19 credit limit for non-JD/graded classes (which unless you're doing an out of town clinic, you shouldn't be bumping up against). You are correct that for a credit to count towards graduation, it must be grad-level.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:55 am

Well damn. Gonna miss the dean. Was always making us look good.

Dear Friends:

I write to share some news with you. On January, 12, 2014, I will be stepping down as Dean of the Washington University School of Law, and assuming a new role as Chancellor and President of Syracuse University.

After more than 16 years as a dean, I find myself excited by the new challenge at Syracuse, and eager to use all I have learned from working with you. Syracuse is a fine university with more than 20,000 students and a dazzling array of programs and opportunities. It is also in upstate New York, where I grew up and want very much to give back.

Nonetheless, Washington University always will hold a special place in my heart. Thanks to the hard work of generations of wonderful people, Washington University has a great law school. In the almost nine years since I undertook to become dean here, I have been blessed by generous and supportive alumni, dedicated faculty and staff, and kind supporters from across the University and the St. Louis community. Our students have been the greatest blessing of all, and the privilege of teaching here every semester is one I find very difficult to surrender. Thank you for everything you have given to this school during my tenure.

I still have four months of service ahead as your dean and as a professor at Washington University. Already I am working closely with Chancellor Mark Wrighton and Provost Holden Thorp to assure that the law school continues to function smoothly into January and that there is a seamless transition to new leadership in the law school. I intend to honor all my obligations, including my teaching in our various programs and, during the intersession in January, my Negotiation course for first year students and some LLM and transfer students. I hope during the next four months to have an opportunity to thank each of you in person for your kindness and support.

Warmest wishes,

Kent Syverud

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:57 am

not sure whether to be happy or sad that he's leaving for Cuse....Wonder who his replacement is gonna be.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:10 am

cusenation wrote:not sure whether to be happy or sad that he's leaving for Cuse....Wonder who his replacement is gonna be.

Professor Dan Keating has done the interim deanship at Wash U twice, fyi, and is great at it.

Kent is from the Syracuse area, fyi.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
cusenation wrote:not sure whether to be happy or sad that he's leaving for Cuse....Wonder who his replacement is gonna be.

Professor Dan Keating has done the interim deanship at Wash U twice, fyi, and is great at it.

Kent is from the Syracuse area, fyi.

Do you think Keating will be hired as the permanent dean? I'm guessing WashU will have an interim dean until Fall 2014? Or do you think they have someone in the pipeline to take over immediately?

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:12 am

I doubt it. I don't think Dan wants that permanently but I could be wrong and I do not want to put words in his mouth.

I highly doubt they already have someone lined up. If they hire internally maybe Melissa Waters?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:45 pm

This is kind of stunning. Wash U has done well under Syverud, and they don't like to let people like that leave. He was always pretty high-profile.

I wonder if the stresses of the new reality of legal hiring/tuition/US News rankings race got to him. I remember watching him during the "town hall" meeting explaining our school's rankings drop to 23 after we honestly reported job numbers, and he seemed visibly agitated and nervous. I think he really has a conscience, and the law school admissions/rankings process could end up really grating on one's nerves.

I guess it would be silly to turn down a chancellor/president position near where he grew up, though. Sounds like a dream job.

I have to imagine the next dean will come from outside and be just as high-profile. With schools with lesser endowments hurting financially due to the applicant crunch, it's going to be a buyer's market for talent. I don't see the university or the law school letting up now with their attempted prestige growth.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 pm

Wash U Law got a big bump in the prestige component of the rankings the year after Kent was hired. That + the fact that more and more law schools now seem to be trying to have splashy versus internal hires (it used to not be that way), would have me guess they will look for a similar hire as when they got Kent, agreed.

Syverud was a tremendous fund raiser so I feel for the person who succeeds him.
Last edited by MikeSpivey on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Is there really anyone else out there that could actually replace Kent?

Maybe Chemerinsky will give up on his ridiculous UCI stunt. :) Not going to bet on that one, though.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm

JCougar wrote:Is there really anyone else out there that could actually replace Kent?

Maybe Chemerinsky will give up on his ridiculous UCI stunt. :) Not going to bet on that one, though.

Maybe the inevitable USNews curbstomping (UCI TO TOP TWENTEE!!!1!1!!!1!) will change his mind.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:43 am

I honestly wouldn't want a dean that put his vanity over the good of law students.

We need to pull a dean from the T14...one that's built on an unsustainable business model. GeorgeTTTown?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

Has anyone here taken property with Mandelker?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 pm

It certainly reflects well on the Law School that a large nationally known university like Syracuse chose our Dean to be its next president. You also can't fault him for taking the job, as it is a chance for him to take on more responsibilities, and help a larger number of students (with a higher salary). The next dean doesn't need to come from a top 14 (as he/she might be more complacent). Maybe an internal candidate with deep connections to the alumni base would be best. Also they should look at deans from schools like Alabama that have figured out ways to sky rocket in the rankings.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:16 pm

jdmonkey wrote:It certainly reflects well on the Law School that a large nationally known university like Syracuse chose our Dean to be its next president. You also can't fault him for taking the job, as it is a chance for him to take on more responsibilities, and help a larger number of students (with a higher salary). The next dean doesn't need to come from a top 14 (as he/she might be more complacent). Maybe an internal candidate with deep connections to the alumni base would be best. Also they should look at deans from schools like Alabama that have figured out ways to sky rocket in the rankings.

I suspect Kent had about 30 colleges court him to be their President before finally saying "yes" to this one.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:55 pm

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 pm

I think some genius predicted Dan Keating would be interim dean. They just announced that he is.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:52 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I think some genius predicted Dan Keating would be interim dean. They just announced that he is.

Now predict who will be the next dean.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:I think some genius predicted Dan Keating would be interim dean. They just announced that he is.

Now predict who will be the next dean.

That seems pretty difficult but I predict it will not be Brian T.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”