WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:00 am

Activated LexisNexis account. Didn't get 400 reward points. #TeamBloomberg.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:23 am

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:20 am

Westlaw is better. Lexis points are rewarding. Lots of free swag.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Does Lexis still have free printing? If so, there's your answer, especially if you're being cheap and buying earlier editions of textbooks.

RoseVI

Postby RoseVI » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:Does Lexis still have free printing? If so, there's your answer, especially if you're being cheap and buying earlier editions of textbooks.

Yes. Only free printing in the school (outside journal offices).

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Research Westlaw, print with Lexis, get free shit from Lexis (I got about $100 from doing nothing in gift cards last year) and take a dump on Bloomberg.

RoseVI

Postby RoseVI » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:16 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Research Westlaw, print with Lexis, get free shit from Lexis (I got about $100 from doing nothing in gift cards last year) and take a dump on Bloomberg.

Yes. Then reverse when you get to biglaw: free search on Lexis, free primary sources on Westlaw, and still take a dump on Bloomberg.

(free = don't have to explain to a client why they're paying so much for research)

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Thinking about supplements. Anybody have good advice for

Tamanaha Torts

Baker contracts

Mandelker property

Not fully understanding all the cases and want more help.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Thinking about supplements. Anybody have good advice for

Tamanaha Torts

I went through the torts E&E when studying for the exam, and that helped. Outside of that pay attention in class when it's not you getting grilled and think about what you would have answered if asked. It will start to make sense gradually.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Birdnals wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Thinking about supplements. Anybody have good advice for

Tamanaha Torts

I went through the torts E&E when studying for the exam, and that helped. Outside of that pay attention in class when it's not you getting grilled and think about what you would have answered if asked. It will start to make sense gradually.

Thanks. I'm guessing reading and properly briefing cases is a skill like hitting a baseball. Just need more practice. Kind of discouraging when your brain feels like oatmeal after class.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Tamanaha will yell at you in about 3 weeks if you are briefing a case. He'll ask you to book brief if you are staring down at your computer or a piece of paper.

Best thing about Tamanaha is listen to what he says. He'll tell you all semester exactly what he wants you to say on an exam, word for word. Do what he says, and you'll ace that shit, since you could spit up 8,000 words in 8 word sentences, and still not hit all the issues on his exams. It's best if you just know what to say, and how to say it at the same time.

Also, he seems threatening in class, (or he will) he does it to keep you working at it. And if you want to get called on, (as if you know that you have those cases down) then make a loud comment like "Proximate Cause is a Bitch" so he can hear you, but not to him, and you are guaranteed to get called on.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 am

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:29 am

sublime wrote:I don't imagine that there is a secret microwave/fridge somewhere that students have access to, is there?

there's 2 fridges and 3 microwaves by the vending machines on the 3rd floor of AB, right by gunner row.

They will be nasty as shit in approx. 2 days.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:34 am

Those vending machines are surprisingly hidden - it took me a few months to realize they were there. That little room also has the fabulous super-hot water dispenser for those people who like to drink tea.

Edit: Free food looks like it is starting up today. For the next month or two you'll be able to get free food about half the time by going to meetings. FedSoc provides the best food with their Koch Brothers dirty money (actually it comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mellon_Scaife but really, it's all the same), which I highly recommend taking advantage of.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Any advice on Konig's property class or if his exam is similar to other professor's property exams? The class is all over the place right now.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm

haha Konig property last year was ALL OVER THE PLACE. We once took an entire week for one case. What you need to do is just try and pay attention to the limited amounts of stuff he keeps repeating and drown out your classmates when they say stuff that he doesn't repeat and agree with with absolute clarity.

Also, you need to buy Understanding Property, as it's the book he seems to use himself for advice.

Additionally, the exam ended up being fairly straight forward issue spotter but wasn't as much of a racehorse as other courses. He is a big fan of depth of answers and rewards points for that.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Instead of the more classic "give points for things he likes, add up all the points", Konig gives each question a point value. So if a question is worth 10 points, he gives you some number out of 10. Which means that the quality and the depth of the answer is more important than simply hitting as many answers as possible poorly. That being said, he very much gives you credit for seeing things.

Being in the first week of class, you probably are confused. The way the class works is, you get mostly background for the first half of the semester. He's probably talking about Locke and Blackstone and classical property theories right now, and then he'll go into Capture, pierson v post, all that jazz. None of that is on the exam, it is simply context to allow you to understand the important stuff that is coming later.

+1000 to getting Understanding Property by Sprankling. It's the bible for that class. If you don't have it, I have a copy I can sell super cheap.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:Those vending machines are surprisingly hidden - it took me a few months to realize they were there. That little room also has the fabulous super-hot water dispenser for those people who like to drink tea.

Edit: Free food looks like it is starting up today. For the next month or two you'll be able to get free food about half the time by going to meetings. FedSoc provides the best food with their Koch Brothers dirty money (actually it comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mellon_Scaife but really, it's all the same), which I highly recommend taking advantage of.

The hot water dispenser is money in the winter.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:Instead of the more classic "give points for things he likes, add up all the points", Konig gives each question a point value. So if a question is worth 10 points, he gives you some number out of 10. Which means that the quality and the depth of the answer is more important than simply hitting as many answers as possible poorly. That being said, he very much gives you credit for seeing things.

Being in the first week of class, you probably are confused. The way the class works is, you get mostly background for the first half of the semester. He's probably talking about Locke and Blackstone and classical property theories right now, and then he'll go into Capture, pierson v post, all that jazz. None of that is on the exam, it is simply context to allow you to understand the important stuff that is coming later.

+1000 to getting Understanding Property by Sprankling. It's the bible for that class. If you don't have it, I have a copy I can sell super cheap.

We started with capture. (Barry Bonds ball case) We just finished Pierson v. Post. It sounds like he changed it up this year.

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:55 pm

I've been keeping understanding property open during class and I swear its like he's reading right from the book at some parts.

Also any advice for Norwood would be great.

ETA: What do I have to do to get a freakin water bottle on campus?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Bottles are banned campus wide. This is why everyone has their own. Bother the lexis or westlaw people enough and they'll give you a free one.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”