WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dietcoke0

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby dietcoke0 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Torts was awesome, I would take that class as many times as possible.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu May 02, 2013 12:11 am

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri May 03, 2013 4:43 pm

SOOOoOooooo...any updates on this handwriting/SoftTest issue? I know someone mentioned that they were gonna email the administration about it..or was that BCC mass-email the end of the story?

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri May 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Everyone's too busy drinking and being done with finals to care right now. The registrar's change in policy was, as far as I can see, pretty universally loathed by students - this was the first semester with the new policy, so no one had really seen it or paid attention to it before. I'd be surprised if it doesn't get changed, I think enough people are going to complain about it. But not today - today is dedicated to more drinking.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Anyone ITT taking Commercial Law with Keating next year? If so, I will sell you all of the following for $150:

-Commercial Law: A System's Approach (used but solid condition with some writing, but no highlighting that I saw... its a $180 book new, going for around $100 used on Amazon)
-Payment Systems E&E (virtually brand new... very helpful)
-Secured Transactions E&E (virtually brand new... moderately helpful)
-Payment Systems Q&A (good condition)
-Secured Transactions Q&A (good condition)

Just the book and the E&Es would run you close to two hundo if you buy used and ship from Amazon. PM me if interested

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:Anyone ITT taking Commercial Law with Keating next year? If so, I will sell you all of the following for $150:

-Commercial Law: A System's Approach (used but solid condition with some writing, but no highlighting that I saw... its a $180 book new, going for around $100 used on Amazon)

Just the book and the E&Es would run you close to two hundo if you buy used and ship from Amazon. PM me if interested

Nothing could lure me into taking this class. Not even sweet deals on E&Es. After Bankruptcy, I will never take another racehorse multiple choice exam.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Fri May 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:Nothing could lure me into taking this class. Not even sweet deals on E&Es. After Bankruptcy, I will never take another racehorse multiple choice exam.

You say this but you haven't yet taken the bar.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

lukertin wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:Nothing could lure me into taking this class. Not even sweet deals on E&Es. After Bankruptcy, I will never take another racehorse multiple choice exam.

You say this but you haven't yet taken the bar.

Touché.

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Anyone ITT taking Commercial Law with Keating next year? If so, I will sell you all of the following for $150:

Nothing could lure me into taking this class. Not even sweet deals on E&Es. After Bankruptcy, I will never take another racehorse multiple choice exam.

Is it really that terrible? I was probably going to take it sometime next year since I'm interested in business law. How does a racehorse multiple choice exam even work??

donnabert

Postby donnabert » Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 am

sublime wrote:In the context it was used (if we are thinking of the same thing, probably a few pages back, with the "blending in.... if you know what I mean" certainly has a racial context. I did feel like whoever was posting it was more going after a cheap joke than being overtly racist, but it definitely does have a racial component.

If you want to be in law, get used to it. Lawyers (and just law-school types to be honest) are pretty nasty people in my experience.

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Fri May 10, 2013 5:33 am

I don't know anything about the referenced joke, but I wouldn't say that lawyers/law school types are any more or less nasty, as a group, than any other segment of the population. Like any other group, there are good and bad apples.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri May 10, 2013 6:22 am

A shot in the dark wrote:I don't know anything about the referenced joke, but I wouldn't say that lawyers/law school types are any more or less nasty, as a group, than any other segment of the population. Like any other group, there are good and bad apples.

Don't feed the trolls. She's just a bitter failure, much like most law school graduates, except she seems a bit more butt-hurt about it. See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=199384&start=125#p6749507

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri May 10, 2013 9:48 am

punkyg0608 wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:

Is it really that terrible? I was probably going to take it sometime next year since I'm interested in business law. How does a racehorse multiple choice exam even work??

The class really isn't that bad. Like most law classes, no matter how dry the subject matter, the cases tend to be interesting enough in that they involve entertaining fact patterns. It's amazing what kind of bat-sh** crazy scenarios can arise in the context of the secured transactions and commercial paper!

A race horse multiple choice exam really isn't incredibly different from a regular exam - the difference, however, is that you can't kid yourself that you are doing a good job on the exam by putting together a cogent essay response even though you are constantly referencing your outlines and notes. For multiple choice exams, you either know the answer (or how to figure out the answer) or you don't - if you don't, you move on. Looking through your outlines and notes and trying to learn-on-the-spot how to answer the question will only make you painfully aware towards the end of the exam that you won't be able to answer all the questions. That being said, bullet point quick reference outlines are very helpful in these exams.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:41 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 am

hoos89 wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:
A shot in the dark wrote:I don't know anything about the referenced joke, but I wouldn't say that lawyers/law school types are any more or less nasty, as a group, than any other segment of the population. Like any other group, there are good and bad apples.

Don't feed the trolls. She's just a bitter failure, much like most law school graduates, except she seems a bit more butt-hurt about it. See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=199384&start=125#p6749507

I love how she attributed a quote to herself.

My favorite part was when she linked a puff piece about some blog she was writing in like 2004, and then talked about how she had been on court tv once.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Edit: meh, not worth it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Are computers provided for exams? I have a laptop but write much quicker on a desktop key board. Also if you have a disability, are they pretty good at accommodating them for exams if you provide documentation?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 20, 2013 4:59 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Are computers provided for exams? I have a laptop but write much quicker on a desktop key board. Also if you have a disability, are they pretty good at accommodating them for exams if you provide documentation?

Can't help you on the second question, but the first question is a no. You provide your own computer for exams.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon May 20, 2013 5:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Are computers provided for exams? I have a laptop but write much quicker on a desktop key board. Also if you have a disability, are they pretty good at accommodating them for exams if you provide documentation?

Can't help you on the second question, but the first question is a no. You provide your own computer for exams.

Thank you.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 pm

I've seen at least one person bring in a keyboard and use it with their laptop.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon May 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:

I've seen at least one person bring in a keyboard and use it with their laptop.

I will be planning on doing this, and bringing a mouse! :D

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:21 pm

With the Housing Day coming up can anyone tell me if it is worth going to?
I plan to not live in University housing but it is unclear what the Housing day is all about, would it be better to attend than say going on my own a few weeks later to visit apartments around town?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:05 am

Cellar-door wrote:With the Housing Day coming up can anyone tell me if it is worth going to?
I plan to not live in University housing but it is unclear what the Housing day is all about, would it be better to attend than say going on my own a few weeks later to visit apartments around town?

This was discussed a bit earlier but I knew a few people that went on it who found it helpful. At the very least, you'll get a chance to spend some time in St. Louis. I think they bus you around a few locations and you tour them. If you have the money to visit, why not?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”