WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Michael Bluth

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Post by Michael Bluth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:17 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:Guys can we please get back to what's important: Mocking TatteredDignity Michael Bluth's mom for getting his car stolen.letting his little sister borrow his car and then wrecking it.
FTFY. But yes, touché.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:24 am

What's a CALI?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:37 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:What's a CALI?
Just do google, bro.

But since I'm already responding, the full phrase is CALI Excellence for the Future Award (CALI stands for Computer Assisted Legal Instruction). It's given to whomever earns the top grade in each class, including ties. AKA "booking" a class.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 am

Michael Bluth wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:Guys can we please get back to what's important: Mocking TatteredDignity Michael Bluth's mom for getting his car stolen.letting his little sister borrow his car and then wrecking it.
You mean, Lucille? Her?

ETA: my mother, the car.
Last edited by TatteredDignity on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:42 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
Just do google, bro.

But since I'm already responding, the full phrase is CALI Excellence for the Future Award (CALI stands for Computer Assisted Legal Instruction). It's given to whomever earns the top grade in each class, including ties. AKA "booking" a class.
Thanks bro. Is that a $$$ award or just something for the resume? Not saying im gonna get it but theres a few awards on that page. Also is their anytype of scholarship competition type things when you're there? I know OU has some but don't know if that's a school specific thing or law school wide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:45 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
Just do google, bro.

Thanks bro. Is that a $$$ award or just something for the resume? Also is their anytype of scholarship competition type things when you're there? I know OU has some but don't know if that's a school specific thing or law school wide.
No money, just resume, pride, and bragging rights (depending on how douchey you wanna be). Oh, and a cheap-looking certificate.

Don't know anything about the second part of your question.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
Just do google, bro.

Thanks bro. Is that a $$$ award or just something for the resume? Also is their anytype of scholarship competition type things when you're there? I know OU has some but don't know if that's a school specific thing or law school wide.
No money, just resume, pride, and bragging rights (depending on how douchey you wanna be). Oh, and a cheap-looking certificate.

Don't know anything about the second part of your question.
There is a belt available, if you know where to look...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Can anyone provide a rough estimate for how much text books will cost per semester?

Not the outlines or E&E's and stuff, just the course-required casebooks. Would be helpful if you could provide estimates at either end of the spectrum (i.e. expected cost if i bought all new versus all used)

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Really depends on class/prof and all that, plus condition, sell back. Rent Used books that will go out of edition is a good tip.

My Crim class, he gives us a print out of all the cases, and we bought a treatise that I got for like $15. My contracts, it was a treatise and a brand new edition of a case book that was like $180 on Amazon ($212 at book store) so that's like $250. But I can get $160 or so for the casebook once I sell it back, so it's like a $20 detriment, plus whatever Amazon takes out (probably another $15 or so)

Don't sell good books to the Book store. My Prop book they were buying for $40 (they sold it for $212) and I sold mine for $150 (bought it new for $180 on amazon)

But you can look at around $700 for first semester and $500 for second semester of books. Whatever LP and LRM wants you to buy, try and get old editions or something. So worthless. I bought new, and spent like $200 on those books, but only thing I ever used was the Bluebook (buy that in good condition, plus it's only like $35, and will be used your entire law school career)

Lot of rambling there, sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:10 pm

And don't skimp on good supplements. I got most of the E&Es for less than $20, and sold them back for roughly that. But like Chemerenski's Con Law supp, it's like $50 used, but that shit is worth its weight in gold. Don't go thinking, well, it's $50, I'll just get something else. Paying good money to be in law school, and if it's a good supplement, then it's worth it.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:12 pm

I've spent around $300 per semester so far. I rent everything. It feels like a waste to spend the money and have nothing to show for it at the end, but then you realize that you have no desire to read any of the books ever again.

The best aggregator I've found so far is gettextbooks.com.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:24 am

dietcoke0 wrote:And don't skimp on good supplements. I got most of the E&Es for less than $20, and sold them back for roughly that. But like Chemerenski's Con Law supp, it's like $50 used, but that shit is worth its weight in gold. Don't go thinking, well, it's $50, I'll just get something else. Paying good money to be in law school, and if it's a good supplement, then it's worth it.
I'm gonna shock the world and agree with the bolded. Chem is a supplement you just don't skimp on.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

WUSTL students!

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jad0re

New

Post by jad0re » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

I was looking at WUSTL's new grading system and found that you need a 3.04 GPA (79) to remain in good standing.
It looks like a lot of competitive students went the WUSTL route for the money, and it would really suck if you lose that kind of money due to a curve.
Is maintaining a 3.04 is doable without driving yourself crazy?

Also I can't find the stats for scholarship retention rates so I'm starting to overthinking stuff. Is there any stacking involved?

dougfunny

New

Post by dougfunny » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm

jad0re wrote:I was looking at WUSTL's new grading system and found that you need a 3.04 GPA (79) to remain in good standing.
It looks like a lot of competitive students went the WUSTL route for the money, and it would really suck if you lose that kind of money due to a curve.

Also I can't find the stats for scholarship retention rates so I'm starting to overthinking stuff. Is there any stacking involved?
None of the scholarships have any stipulations on them as far as I know.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 pm

jad0re wrote:I was looking at WUSTL's new grading system and found that you need a 3.04 GPA (79) to remain in good standing.

A 79 is about the lowest grade in every single class. It would be very, very difficult to lose your scholarship.

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Where is this information? I've tried looking through the website and haven't found info on the new policy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Nvm
Last edited by Xs20 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah my (and I'm sure everyone else's)scholarship says " as long as you maintain your residency at Washington University School of Law". So just don't fail out.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 am

Where did you get 79 = 3.04? I would say more like 79 = 2.3, i.e a C-.

Edit: Also, if your GPA drops below a 79 you are put on academic probation, and if your GPA drops below 78.50 you are expelled... so basically your scholarship would be the least of your worries around 79 territory...

http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/pages.aspx?id=4620

Double Edit: Oh, I see what you are refering to, however, you can see that the same logic applies:

Academic Probation -- Placed on academic probation - as a result of having a cum GPA between 3.01 – 3.03 (formerly 78.50 - 78.99) at the end of an entire school year, or a yearly GPA between 3.01 – 3.03 (formerly 78.50 - 78.99) at the end of the 2L year.

Academic Dismissal/Termination -- Not eligible to continue due to poor scholarship - as a result of having a cum GPA of less than 3.01 (formerly 78.50) at the end of an entire school year, or a yearly GPA below 3.01 (formerly 78.50) at the end of the 2L year. Student may petition for readmission.

http://law.wustl.edu/Registrar/document ... resent.pdf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 am

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:24 am

sublime12089 wrote:Is any of that something that actually happens to people, or not really?
I'm sure it does happen, but I've never heard of it happening. There are usually very few grades in the 70s per class, so to have a 70s average would be pretty hard to pull off.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 am

hoos89 wrote:
Is it just me, or is it weird that academic probation only exists for 0.5 of a point on the old scale? Is 78.5 really that much worse than 79?
Considering that there were a few 79's given out to 1L's last semester, and nothing lower, it might be. My mind boggles at how bad you would have to do at an exam to get below that 79.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”