WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TatteredDignity

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm

cusenation wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
we send people to cravath

What. :shock:

Yeah, I know of one person in the class of 2013 and two from the 2014 class heading there. They're all top 5%, but still. Cravath isn't as exclusive as everyone makes them out to be.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202588887416&Explore_the_Data_Behind_the_GoTo_Law_Schools&slreturn=20130316235743

Here's some cool data broken down by law firm, which I haven't seen before.

Did Greensfelder and Lewis Rice really not hire a single person from this class?

I think I'm more surprised/impressed that someone got hired by GDC. Who knew that was possible.
Don't be. Pretty sure we have people head to the equivalent or better close to every year.

Now that I've typed that out I realize how pathetic it sounds, but fear not 0Ls, we put plenty in the V10-100 range.

It depends on how you're defining "better" I guess. When I think about elite lit botiques like GDC, I don't see them as being on the vault scale (like, we send people to cravath, which is great if you want to be a corporate lawyer in NYC).
Gibson Dunn's a great firm, to be sure (and #12 on the Vault scale, so... definitely "on" it), but boutique is more than stretching it for a "global law firm with more than 1100 lawyers in 18 offices across the United States, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Latin ..."

Do you have GDC mixed up with Munger or some other firm, or am I blanking on another firm with the GDC initials?

ETA: I mean, looking at the GDC listing on that link, they're taking people from multiple people from Loyola LA and Pepperdine, so I'm not overly shocked at us managing to squeak 1 person in

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:49 pm

stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
It depends on how you're defining "better" I guess. When I think about elite lit botiques like GDC, I don't see them as being on the vault scale (like, we send people to cravath, which is great if you want to be a corporate lawyer in NYC).
Gibson Dunn's a great firm, to be sure (and #12 on the Vault scale, so... definitely "on" it), but boutique is more than stretching it for a "global law firm with more than 1100 lawyers in 18 offices across the United States, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Latin ..."

Do you have GDC mixed up with Munger or some other firm, or am I blanking on another firm with the GDC initials?

ETA: I mean, looking at the GDC listing on that link, they're taking people from multiple people from Loyola LA and Pepperdine, so I'm not overly shocked at us managing to squeak 1 person in

No, you're right, boutique was definitely a misstatement. Let me clarify. I meant that they are a litigation firm, as opposed to most of the V10 which is ranked where they are on the vault scale for their corporate practices. If you were ranking lit firms, they'd be very near the top.

And yeah, I guess it's to be expected that most any firm will hire someone from a non-elite school every now and then.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Gibson Dunn's a great firm, to be sure (and #12 on the Vault scale, so... definitely "on" it), but boutique is more than stretching it for a "global law firm with more than 1100 lawyers in 18 offices across the United States, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Latin ..."

No, you're right, boutique was definitely a misstatement. Let me clarify. I meant that they are a litigation firm, as opposed to most of the V10 which is ranked where they are on the vault scale for their corporate practices. If you were ranking lit firms, they'd be very near the top.

And yeah, I guess it's to be expected that most any firm will hire someone from a non-elite school every now and then.
Gotcha, fair enough - wasn't trying to squeeze you there, just wasn't sure. Yeah, for all the bluster about prestige on TLS, people do slip through the pedigree filters every now and again, including grads of our beloved WUSTTTL. No reason to believe the people from Loyola and Pepperdine aren't every bit as, if not more, capable than their Berkeley counterparts anyway. Shouldn't have phrased it like I did

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
cusenation wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

Yeah, I know of one person in the class of 2013 and two from the 2014 class heading there. They're all top 5%, but still. Cravath isn't as exclusive as everyone makes them out to be.

had one '14 person turn them down as well.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm

We have someone going to Quinn or Boies too, can't remember which.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:had one '14 person turn them down as well.

For what?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:We have someone going to Quinn or Boies too, can't remember which.

'13 is just killin it :D

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:14 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:

For what?

From what I understand, to return to home secondary market.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:19 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

For what?

Yeah, secondary markets FTW. Lower COL, reasonable(er) hours, families...

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:20 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

For what?

Yeah, secondary markets FTW. Lower COL, reasonable(er) hours, families...

nice. Time to tell my friends what WUSTL grads are known to turn down Cravath :D

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
cusenation wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

But, but it's a V2!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:08 am

How bad is it north of Delmar in U-City? The apt i'm looking at is a block north of Delmar on Leland ave.

is this like a north korea/south korea situation where you're basically fucked the second you cross the line?

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 am

Not sure why you'd take a chance. There's plenty of reasonably priced housing closer to the school and in better areas.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:14 am

TheZoid wrote:Not sure why you'd take a chance. There's plenty of reasonably priced housing closer to the school and in better areas.

There aren't a lot of three bedrooms listed right now in the other neighborhoods. I mean the major apartment complexes have them but right now we're on the waitlist behind 1-2 other groups and the rent is pretty high for St. Louis. I'm sure there are private owners and landlords that'll post up listings sporadically as we get closer to June/July, but we don't really wanna bet on a reasonable 3-bedroom popping up by then and then not have it happen.

ETA: But yeah this isn't the only place we're looking at, just wanted to know if being a block north of Delmar made this place an auto-ding

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:35 am

cusenation wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Not sure why you'd take a chance. There's plenty of reasonably priced housing closer to the school and in better areas.

There aren't a lot of three bedrooms listed right now in the other neighborhoods. I mean the major apartment complexes have them but right now we're on the waitlist behind 1-2 other groups and the rent is pretty high for St. Louis. I'm sure there are private owners and landlords that'll post up listings sporadically as we get closer to June/July, but we don't really wanna bet on a reasonable 3-bedroom popping up by then and then not have it happen.

ETA: But yeah this isn't the only place we're looking at, just wanted to know if being a block north of Delmar made this place an auto-ding

Not auto-ding, no, but it is going to be somewhat sketch. It's not like a horrible neighborhood back in there, there are a lot of grad students and young people. If you go north, you should definitely stay south of Vernon, and as close to the Loop as possible.

Also, I just PM'd you with a place.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 am

romothesavior wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Not auto-ding, no, but it is going to be somewhat sketch. It's not like a horrible neighborhood back in there, there are a lot of grad students and young people. If you go north, you should definitely stay south of Vernon, and as close to the Loop as possible.

Also, I just PM'd you with a place.

Thank you!

Almighty L's-with-a-real-digit-in-front-of-it, one more question:

How's the area around DaBaviliere and Pershing? I think ther'es a metro stop right there? It's halfway between CWE and campus.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 am

cusenation wrote:
Almighty L's-with-a-real-digit-in-front-of-it, one more question:

How's the area around DaBaviliere and Pershing? I think ther'es a metro stop right there? It's halfway between CWE and campus.

Specifically, this area:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 am

It's a funky area. It's fairly safe and in a decent spot, but the neighborhoods around it can be a little weird (typical St. Louis). Like many neighborhoods in STL, the closer you are to the metro stop, the worse things are. I have some friends that live down near the corner of Union and Pershing and it seems very safe and nice, but as you get towards DB and Pershing its gets a bit sketchier. Not a bad neighborhood overall though.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58 am

romothesavior wrote:It's a funky area. It's fairly safe and in a decent spot, but the neighborhoods around it can be a little weird (typical St. Louis). Like many neighborhoods in STL, the closer you are to the metro stop, the worse things are. I have some friends that live down near the corner of Union and Pershing and it seems very safe and nice, but as you get towards DB and Pershing its gets a bit sketchier. Not a bad neighborhood overall though.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

cusenation wrote:Almighty L's-with-a-real-digit-in-front-of-it, one more question:

Egregious anti-whole numbers trolling.

I'd stick with either the CWE or the loop area. It's not like a normal college area - if you haven't found a place a week or so before you are moving down, I'd start to worry - not before then. Definitely no need to find a place now. Be patient and watch CL for nice places in areas you want to be - there really isn't any need to settle.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 am

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 am

hoos89 wrote:
cusenation wrote:How bad is it north of Delmar in U-City? The apt i'm looking at is a block north of Delmar on Leland ave.

is this like a north korea/south korea situation where you're basically fucked the second you cross the line?

That area seems fine as long is it's South of Vernon.

romothesavior wrote:It's a funky area. It's fairly safe and in a decent spot, but the neighborhoods around it can be a little weird (typical St. Louis). Like many neighborhoods in STL, the closer you are to the metro stop, the worse things are. I have some friends that live down near the corner of Union and Pershing and it seems very safe and nice, but as you get towards DB and Pershing its gets a bit sketchier. Not a bad neighborhood overall though.

Just because black people live there doesn't make it "weird" or unsafe. I live in a really nice place pretty close to the Forest Park metro stop and it's pretty much all single families.

Your allegations of racism re: Romo are a jump, to say the least. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, TatteredDignity lives in that very neighborhood (much closer to DB and Pershing than Union and Pershing) and his car was stolen. And as the perpetrator got away with it scot-free, I don't think he had time to worry about what race he was. It can be a dangerous neighborhood. End of discussion.

Edit: I see you walked back your language a little bit, but my point remains.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Bros, everyone calm down. This has nothing to do with race. As many in here have stated, the closer you are to a metro stop (ESPECIALLY forest park stop) and the closer you are to Delmar, the riskier it is. I live in the neighborhood circled on that map, and it took all of 5 days for my car to get jacked. Is that representative? Maybe not. But it happened. There is literally a gate on my street between us and delmar. Lots of shady looking characters hop the gate every day. They aren't shady looking because they're black (although yes, most of them are black) -- it's because they're clearly vagrants, drug dealers, etc. It's probably not a big deal if you keep your head on a swivel. Just know what you're getting into. I really love my apartment and I wouldn't move if I had the chance. But there are downsides.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”