WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dietcoke0

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby dietcoke0 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:18 pm

I agree it sounds attractive, but just really strange. Plus you put your living conditions in their hands. I toured a lot of the Wash U housing, and quite frankly, wouldn't live in a couple of the places for free (well, maybe free, but would never want to be home)

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 pm

They should just turn the SAE house into all male 1L student housing for a year. That would be sick.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:26 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:I agree it sounds attractive, but just really strange. Plus you put your living conditions in their hands. I toured a lot of the Wash U housing, and quite frankly, wouldn't live in a couple of the places for free (well, maybe free, but would never want to be home)

I did some investigating, apparently the place is right in the middle of University City, 2 blocks south of Delmar. Unfurnished. There's only 9 spots available (unless they own other buildings), ranging form 600-1000 sq ft.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Right in the middle of U-City, 2 blocks South of Delmar is still vague, but I think I know the area it would be, and it's pretty legit and safe, and good walking/biking distance.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:54 pm

I'd be willing to bet that those are on the 6600 block of Washington street, so that would be an easy 10 minute walk from the law school, in a pretty decent neighborhood. I know they had some units there that were only available until December 2012, because they were going to remodel them.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:I'd be willing to bet that those are on the 6600 block of Washington street, so that would be an easy 10 minute walk from the law school, in a pretty decent neighborhood. I know they had some units there that were only available until December 2012, because they were going to remodel them.

It is on the 6600 block, sorry I don't know the area too well. The building is a 3-story building, which from the plans I saw, theres 3 units a floor, (2 around 650 sq ft, 1 around 1000). Which is why I said 9 people.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:39 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:I'd be willing to bet that those are on the 6600 block of Washington street, so that would be an easy 10 minute walk from the law school, in a pretty decent neighborhood. I know they had some units there that were only available until December 2012, because they were going to remodel them.

It is on the 6600 block, sorry I don't know the area too well. The building is a 3-story building, which from the plans I saw, theres 3 units a floor, (2 around 650 sq ft, 1 around 1000). Which is why I said 9 people.

I live on that block (non-quad housing), it's super convenient for school. Green line shuttle goes by there every 20 minutes and it's a 7 minute walk to school. Probably the best place to live if you don't have a car.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:43 pm

How safe is it? I thought University City had its share of problems

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:54 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:How safe is it? I thought University City had its share of problems

It's as safe or safer than anywhere else you're going to live as a student. Both ucity and washu police patrol regularly. I've never felt unsafe, and unlike my friends in the CWE, my car has never been broken into while parked on the street. Even the undergrads aren't loud and obnoxious...the only thing that grinds my gears is the sunday afternoon drum circle.

An aside: even though I live south of delmar, I know of several people that are perfectly happy living north, and don't think it's unsafe.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:How safe is it? I thought University City had its share of problems

It's as safe or safer than anywhere else you're going to live as a student. Both ucity and washu police patrol regularly. I've never felt unsafe, and unlike my friends in the CWE, my car has never been broken into while parked on the street. Even the undergrads aren't loud and obnoxious...the only thing that grinds my gears is the sunday afternoon drum circle.

An aside: even though I live south of delmar, I know of several people that are perfectly happy living north, and don't think it's unsafe.

I'd definitely live south of Delmar rather than north of it.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:06 pm

It's safe. Only downside is it's more residential in your immediate area, so might not be a lot of extra foot traffic around, but I've walked around that area at night, and saw young single (alone) ladies walking around as if they didn't have any fear in the world (my barometer of an area I don't know well enough to judge) When they start starring you down, and hurrying up, then you know you should too.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:49 pm

My first day in St. Louis. I asked the taxi driver to turn left from Del Mar, i.e. go north of Del Mar in the direction of the Wash U housing office. Taxi driver goes, "Whoa, where are we going?" Me: "Uh what? It's just a block to the left." Taxi Driver, "Oh good. Our policy is not go anywhere during the day where ambulances won't go at night." Me: "huh?" Taxi driver, "Yeah, if you get shot a little farther north of here at night, you better hope you don't bleed out before daylight."

FYI though, personally I never had any problems with crime while I was at WUSTL, and after dark the police constantly patrol the neighborhoods around WUSTL.

The taxi driver was also a bit of a character.

But ... no... don't live more than two or so blocks north of Del Mar. Unless you are, well.. unless you... unless you can blend in. That's as far as I'm going with that one.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Anyone have any experiences with CORT and renting furniture? WUSTL sent me this today when I asked and it seems to be a good idea for someone in my situation and wondering if you had any advice/experience with them.

http://stlouis.cort.com/storefront/c02_ ... ?trmPrc=12

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:53 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Anyone have any experiences with CORT and renting furniture? WUSTL sent me this today when I asked and it seems to be a good idea for someone in my situation and wondering if you had any advice/experience with them.

http://stlouis.cort.com/storefront/c02_ ... ?trmPrc=12

I have a hard time believing you couldn't buy everything mentioned for around or less than $1,200. Apparently there is an Ikea coming to St. Louis soon? And if not there are plenty of discount furniture places like "Weekends Only" that deliver.

In fact, after looking at their website, it looks like they are offering to sell the exact same thing for $1,200.

http://stlouis.cortclearancefurniture.c ... 6f0a74cadc

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Good catch. Didn't see that.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 pm

/

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 pm

I know I will be selling some furniture in August...a decent sized table I use as a desk, a love seat, cheap book shelf, etc.

Just throwing that out there.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 am

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0316235743

Here's some cool data broken down by law firm, which I haven't seen before.

Did Greensfelder and Lewis Rice really not hire a single person from this class?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 am

/

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 am

soccerfreak wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202588887416&Explore_the_Data_Behind_the_GoTo_Law_Schools&slreturn=20130316235743

Did Greensfelder and Lewis Rice really not hire a single person from this class?

I think I'm more surprised/impressed that someone got hired by GDC. Who knew that was possible.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:21 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202588887416&Explore_the_Data_Behind_the_GoTo_Law_Schools&slreturn=20130316235743

I think I'm more surprised/impressed that someone got hired by GDC. Who knew that was possible.
Don't be. Pretty sure we have people head to the equivalent or better close to every year.

Now that I've typed that out I realize how pathetic it sounds, but fear not 0Ls, we put plenty in the V10-100 range.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:33 pm

hoos89 wrote:Anyone on here had Osgood last semester mind giving me some exam tips?
How well did you need to know the model penal code?

I don't think you need to know the MPC front to back or anything, but I found that it was pretty helpful to throw in as a contrast.

i.e. "In Smith v. Jones, the Pennsylvania statute defined conspiracy as 'blah blah blah' which led to result X. However, this is seen as an outer limit and had it been decided under a state following the MPC, the result would have been Y. It is also noteworthy that under the common law, the result would have been Z."

And although his teaching style is somewhat erratic, on the final you will most likely have at least one standard issue-spotter question. I believe ours dealt with a woman whose husband was committing a bunch of crimes and she was sort of involved in some stuff, too, and you had to determine a bunch of conspiracy, intent, knowledge, etc. issues.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:09 pm

stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

Don't be. Pretty sure we have people head to the equivalent or better close to every year.

Now that I've typed that out I realize how pathetic it sounds, but fear not 0Ls, we put plenty in the V10-100 range.

It depends on how you're defining "better" I guess. When I think about elite lit botiques like GDC, I don't see them as being on the vault scale (like, we send people to cravath, which is great if you want to be a corporate lawyer in NYC).

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:10 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
we send people to cravath

What. :shock:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”