WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:09 am

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 am

The gym is horrible, and I bit my lip and put up with it this year but will be joining a gym this summer and never looking back.

You have to pay extra for access to the cardio machines, the mats for core work are disgusting, the weights are never where they are supposed to be, and there is just generally terrible gym etiquette. Add that to the fact that all the WashU sports teams workout in the same gym, so any time after 4PM it is packed with off season football players and such. Also the showers are just one big room. It's not a huge deal, but would it kill them to put up a well between showers so I don't have some dude's junk in my peripherals while I'm trying to shower?

idk much about the basketball courts, but I do know there is a fairly large group of 1L's that play at least once or twice a week. I think there is a group of older guys they play with up there too. It shouldn't be a problem being able to pick up a game a few times a week if that is what you are looking for.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 am

sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:At my UG the university gym is the best one by far. Probably the best in the state (plus its free). Although I don't know anything about WUSTLs gym, most of the time university gyms are pretty credited(think of the money they have). The only thing you have to worry about is it being overcrowded with UGs.

apparently we can't use the same gym as the UG's, there's a separate grad gym or something

Hmmmm.... that sounds like it would either be really nice to be separated or really shitty.

Edit: And while we are on the topic, kinda, if I attend I would be down for a weekly pickup hoops game or something. Been too long since I have played. But because I am 6'5" and play D/hustle, that seems to be enough to make a guy at least decent in most games I have played in. lol

I have been talking about working out again, maybe I should start practicing. Fuck 1 L grades, I am gunning on the court 8)

I'm sorry, the position of "6'5" and plays defense" is already taken.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:20 am

notedgarfigaro wrote:
sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:At my UG the university gym is the best one by far. Probably the best in the state (plus its free). Although I don't know anything about WUSTLs gym, most of the time university gyms are pretty credited(think of the money they have). The only thing you have to worry about is it being overcrowded with UGs.

apparently we can't use the same gym as the UG's, there's a separate grad gym or something

Hmmmm.... that sounds like it would either be really nice to be separated or really shitty.

Edit: And while we are on the topic, kinda, if I attend I would be down for a weekly pickup hoops game or something. Been too long since I have played. But because I am 6'5" and play D/hustle, that seems to be enough to make a guy at least decent in most games I have played in. lol

I have been talking about working out again, maybe I should start practicing. Fuck 1 L grades, I am gunning on the court 8)

True story.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Worth it to pay $60/mo for a parking garage? I've heard too many stories about people's cars getting broken into, is it really that common?

Absolutely depends on what neighborhood you're in. I've lived in the CWE for 2 years and haven't had a problem (knock on wood), but a friend I know, let's call him Dattered Tignity, got his whip jacked - like, literally stolen and gone forever. So, yeah, what a loser that guy is. Wait, what were we talking about?

First of all, somebody is clearly ir8 because I kicked his ass all over the golf course last week.

Second, it's totally true that my car is gone forever. Parked it on the street. I live in the neighborhood between delmar, pershing, union and debaliviere. But my apartment is as close to delmar as you can be. Lesson: as stated many times in this thread, stay far south of delmar.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 am

Are Seminars as much of a bitch as my LP teacher is pegging them to be? I like writing and research, but he advised us not to try to do a journal and a seminar unless we really want to be bogged down with writing. To me, just seems like it's doable as long as you don't wait until the last minute.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:47 am

Is anyone familiar with Marion C. Early scholarship?
Is it something special and prestigious that the school does everything it can to make sure that the recipients get decent jobs, or is it just another merit award under a fancy name that everyone gets?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am

jad0re wrote:Is anyone familiar with Marion C. Early scholarship?
Is it something special and prestigious that the school does everything it can to make sure that the recipients get decent jobs, or is it just another merit award under a fancy name that everyone gets?

multiple people get it. It is your merit award, but its worded a tad differently, as in it expects you to donate back in the future.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:45 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 pm

hoos89 wrote:Well, that was hectic. Anyone know anything about WL movement on Pretrial Practice classes?

i'm number 3 on one of them. guessing it's unlikely that comes through.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm

hoos89 wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Well, that was hectic. Anyone know anything about WL movement on Pretrial Practice classes?

i'm number 3 on one of them. guessing it's unlikely that comes through.

Yeah, if I'd known we couldn't have 2 of them at the same time I would have signed up for a different one. Oh well. I've got to figure there's some 3Ls who are way overbooked on credits that will drop them.

Don't worry too much, the waitlist moves significantly right before classes start in the fall.

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:20 pm

sublime wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:
sublime wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Well shit, any room for a tall guy with a 3 move post game. 8)

Yea, there is always room for more poster victims in our games. :wink: Just kidding, i'm in temporary retirement. I'll come back like Jordan just to make TatteredDignity smile.

LaBarrister

Postby LaBarrister » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:35 pm

I have not read any of this thread, and I don't really plan to. I just want to jump in and say that I have been to several conferences at WashU. I absolutely love that campus and the entire city of St. Louis.

Just sharing the love. Go on with your day, now.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 am

Punisha20 wrote:
Yea, there is always room for more poster victims in our games. :wink: Just kidding, i'm in temporary retirement. I'll come back like Jordan just to make TatteredDignity smile.

You know the path to my heart.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Anyone know about the new 1L housing WUSTL is offering? This thread is the first ive heard of it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=208054

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:05 pm

I have no clue. I'm not sure what they could be talking about, which building I mean. I know there are some new buildings on the loop being built but I believe that is for the undergrads.

Pretty cool feature otherwise which will definitely lower the cost.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm

I really want to get in on that if that's the case. I don't see why I couldnt be. My EFC was 0. Do you think calling up the fin aid office and asking about it would be ok?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:42 pm

/

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Calling them up is fine, but weary about what was said. Odd they would give a 66% scholie, but then housing. Pretty sure law school has no property of their own, and seems abnormal. Might be special circumstance, not a new perk, or altogether false

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 pm

/

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:48 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Calling them up is fine, but weary about what was said. Odd they would give a 66% scholie, but then housing. Pretty sure law school has no property of their own, and seems abnormal. Might be special circumstance, not a new perk, or altogether false

I have to call about something else anyways. Ill just feel it out. Im leaning towards it being false/misunderstood because it just seems strange no one else has reported it yet. If it was entirely merit based SOMEONE else would've gotten it too.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:51 pm

/

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm

You're right. Ill just call up and see.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”