WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DoveBodyWash

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Probably not possible to turn off wifi, since three networks, and they all suck anyway. But I've had one class out of 8 that allows laptops, and in that class (small section of 45ish) only 3-4 people even had one out. Seems like Wash U embracing a no lap top policy, and I for one think its a good idea.

so everyone takes notes by hand..? (I guess that's the obvious implication I'm just a little shocked)

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:07 pm

sublime wrote:So do we need a Windows/Mac Laptop for exams, as I understand is common at other schools, or not? Because I would really love not to have to buy one if I end up going.

You have the option of handwriting your exams. It'd be just about the stupidest thing you could possible do, but there is that option. The computer lab is not a bad place to write LP assignments, fairly comfortable actually.

As for class laptop bans, I only had 2 1L classes that banned them, and upper level courses will say on the description whether they're banned or not. I default to using laptop for notes, but I have elected to handwrite in a couple of classes due to the boredom of the material.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:25 pm

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm

cusenation wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Probably not possible to turn off wifi, since three networks, and they all suck anyway. But I've had one class out of 8 that allows laptops, and in that class (small section of 45ish) only 3-4 people even had one out. Seems like Wash U embracing a no lap top policy, and I for one think its a good idea.

so everyone takes notes by hand..? (I guess that's the obvious implication I'm just a little shocked)

Stop making me feel like a boomer.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Pretty much by hand is better. Don't just write down everything mindlessly and can engage in the material better. Downside is, no casebriefs.com for those days when you didn't read.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 am

Does anyone have any info on if WUSTL has a LARP or something similar? I found some info from a few years ago but don't know if the program is still around.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 am

Anybody in here know anything about Practical legal analysis and writing for litigators with Perry? How much work is it and how useful did it seem to be?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 am

TatteredDignity wrote:Anybody in here know anything about Practical legal analysis and writing for litigators with Perry? How much work is it and how useful did it seem to be?
I'm in it. It's NBD, workload isn't that bad. Certainly no worse than LP. As far as utility of class time, it's hit or miss. More than anything, more writing practice is always good IMO. After LP, there aren't many opportunities to refresh your memory on realistically constructing coherent arguments using caselaw.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:27 am

stratocophic wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:Anybody in here know anything about Practical legal analysis and writing for litigators with Perry? How much work is it and how useful did it seem to be?
I'm in it. It's NBD, workload isn't that bad. Certainly no worse than LP. As far as utility of class time, it's hit or miss. More than anything, more writing practice is always good IMO. After LP, there aren't many opportunities to refresh your memory on realistically constructing coherent arguments using caselaw.

Thanks!

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Thanks!
Forgot to mention, there's also no legal research done in the class

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Is there any advantage to taking a class with mostly 3L's because they DGAF anymore, or is that negated by people who struck out at OCI or got no offered in their 2L summer job and are gunning for jobs/grades still?

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Birdnals wrote:Is there any advantage to taking a class with mostly 3L's because they DGAF anymore, or is that negated by people who struck out at OCI or got no offered in their 2L summer job and are gunning for jobs/grades still?

Meh, I've found many 2L's don't care much either. In upper-level courses, I think most gunners are gunning because of who they are rather than job motivation.

Jay2716

Postby Jay2716 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm

My fiancée and I are looking at a couple of places right now, one at McPherson and Taylor, the other on Lindell between Boyle and Sarah. Any input on areas? (We're going to be a one-car family with my fiancée working at a restaurant and finishing her degree at UMSL, so ideally I need to be able to walk/bike/bus or rail to school)

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Worth it to pay $60/mo for a parking garage? I've heard too many stories about people's cars getting broken into, is it really that common?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Are there any gyms that people could recommend in CWE or nearby?

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Jay2716 wrote:My fiancée and I are looking at a couple of places right now, one at McPherson and Taylor, the other on Lindell between Boyle and Sarah. Any input on areas? (We're going to be a one-car family with my fiancée working at a restaurant and finishing her degree at UMSL, so ideally I need to be able to walk/bike/bus or rail to school)

I live near McPherson and Taylor and love the area. You're walking distance to a lot of great bars/restaurants (Llywelyn's, Pi, Dressel's, Herbie's, etc. etc.), and you can walk to the Metro if you like (though it's probably a good ten minutes by foot; I'm lazy and usually drive, though I don't have a fiancee or anything).

My opinion on Lindell between Boyle and Sarah is that it might be a bit too far out and you'll especially have trouble with the walk to the Metro (probably stretching it closer to 15 minutes), and there isn't as much to do in that area.

My main points of praise for living near McPherson and Taylor are that there's always plenty of free street parking and you're close to the action, but not so close that the bars/nightlife are going to keep you up at night.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything more specific.
Last edited by Michael Bluth on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Xs20 wrote:Worth it to pay $60/mo for a parking garage? I've heard too many stories about people's cars getting broken into, is it really that common?

Absolutely depends on what neighborhood you're in. I've lived in the CWE for 2 years and haven't had a problem (knock on wood), but a friend I know, let's call him Dattered Tignity, got his whip jacked - like, literally stolen and gone forever. So, yeah, what a loser that guy is. Wait, what were we talking about?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 pm

cusenation wrote:Are there any gyms that people could recommend in CWE or nearby?

I could be wrong, but don't we get access to the university gym?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
cusenation wrote:Are there any gyms that people could recommend in CWE or nearby?

I could be wrong, but don't we get access to the university gym?

Yeah but i'd like to have a second option that I can walk to from the apt instead of driving/taking the rail back to campus. It would just be more convenient

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:

I could be wrong, but don't we get access to the university "gym"?

FTFY

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 am

At my UG the university gym is the best one by far. Probably the best in the state (plus its free). Although I don't know anything about WUSTLs gym, most of the time university gyms are pretty credited(think of the money they have). The only thing you have to worry about is it being overcrowded with UGs.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:At my UG the university gym is the best one by far. Probably the best in the state (plus its free). Although I don't know anything about WUSTLs gym, most of the time university gyms are pretty credited(think of the money they have). The only thing you have to worry about is it being overcrowded with UGs.

apparently we can't use the same gym as the UG's, there's a separate grad gym or something

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:44 am

cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:At my UG the university gym is the best one by far. Probably the best in the state (plus its free). Although I don't know anything about WUSTLs gym, most of the time university gyms are pretty credited(think of the money they have). The only thing you have to worry about is it being overcrowded with UGs.

apparently we can't use the same gym as the UG's, there's a separate grad gym or something

Yeah. I went to a big UG with amazing facility, too. The gym we get shunted into at WUSTL is pretty weak. The free weights/machines are sufficient, but it gets packed at peak hours. I mostly just play basketball, but even then the floor is in absolutely horrific shape. You will slip and slide all day. It's maddening.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”