WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dietcoke0

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Oh, I guess I should disclose, I do have a car, but don't have a parking pass, so I don't drive unless I have to (there's an hourly garage across from the law school). I'm married, and never use it though, unless I go to Trader Joes, or shopping in general.

However, there is a great (little pricy) supermarket in the CWE, and then another bodega around the block.

The area is generally very bike friendly. The beautiful park you can ride to school. I've done it a few times, but I get sweaty as fuck, which is not cool when you got to be in school for 7 hours.

I know a lot of people that just carpool grocery shop. Nearly everyone I know has a car in the CWE. You'll figure out fast in the CWE who has a car fast, and just become buddies with them.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 pm

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57 pm

You could always just keep it for emergencies, or getting to the store or something. Parking is generally very cheap in Stl (I pay $35 a month, was paying $90 a month in Philly)

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 am

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 pm

What journal should I rank after law review?

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Birdnals wrote:What journal should I rank after law review?

Do you have some burning interest in jurisprudence? Do you enjoy cite checking in chinese (hint, you really won't)?

If not, Law and Policy. Write on whatever you want, and for the most part the cite checks are very, very easy. Plus the best/most food (but no mario kart).

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:23 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
Birdnals wrote:What journal should I rank after law review?

Do you have some burning interest in jurisprudence? Do you enjoy cite checking in chinese (hint, you really won't)?

If not, Law and Policy. Write on whatever you want, and for the most part the cite checks are very, very easy. Plus the best/most food (but no mario kart).

What journal has mario kart? (assuming we're talking about mario 64)

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oban

Postby Oban » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Rank which ever journal has the most interesting people and has the largest budget, cause after law review the only benefit to being on a journal is access to free beer/foods and other social activities

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Is anyone familiar with the section of the CWE formed between Delmar, Vandeventer, Lindell, and Taylor? Can someone speak to the safety of that area and how convenient (or not) it might be to live there?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Xs20 wrote:Is anyone familiar with the section of the CWE formed between Delmar, Vandeventer, Lindell, and Taylor? Can someone speak to the safety of that area and how convenient (or not) it might be to live there?

It's where most 1L's live, at least this year it seems to be. About as safe as any of the St. Louis metro neighborhood can be. If you have a car its a 5 minute drive to school. If you don't have a car it's probably a 20 minute commute. Slightly expensive, but expensive by St. Louis standards, so really not bad. If you are new to St. Louis, and don't have kids or something, that is probably the area I would recommend most.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Birdnals wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Is anyone familiar with the section of the CWE formed between Delmar, Vandeventer, Lindell, and Taylor? Can someone speak to the safety of that area and how convenient (or not) it might be to live there?

It's where most 1L's live, at least this year it seems to be. About as safe as any of the St. Louis metro neighborhood can be. If you have a car its a 5 minute drive to school. If you don't have a car it's probably a 20 minute commute. Slightly expensive, but expensive by St. Louis standards, so really not bad. If you are new to St. Louis, and don't have kids or something, that is probably the area I would recommend most.

I'll throw in the caveat that within that little area he's talking about, it'll be less sketchy the further south and the further west he is (aka further from Delmar and closer to Euclid), though it does get busier closer to Euclid. And I think it'd be more like 10/30 commute with/without a car, since it takes at least 10 minutes to walk to the metro from that area of CWE. But yeah, I agree that's great area. I'm partial to Clayton myself, but CWE is up there as far as places for grad students.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Anyone have any protips about these profs/classes for a Rising 2L? All pretty safe, run for the hills, get on my GoogleFiber connection to ensure I absolutely get one of these classes?

Badawai (Corp), Rosen(Evidence), Keating(Commercial Law), Law(Admin), Sale(Corp)

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:30 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Anyone have any protips about these profs/classes for a Rising 2L? All pretty safe, run for the hills, get on my GoogleFiber connection to ensure I absolutely get one of these classes?

Badawai (Corp), Rosen(Evidence), Keating(Commercial Law), Law(Admin), Sale(Corp)

Sale is super intense, Badawi is super cool, both are fantastic professors.

If you're definitely taking Admin, I suspect Law is better than Levin (taking admin with Levin right now, and it's like pulling teeth to actually get something out of him) though I don't have any experience with him (I hear he's an asshole, but a good teacher).

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:Sale is super intense, Badawi is super cool, both are fantastic professors.

If you're definitely taking Admin, I suspect Law is better than Levin (taking admin with Levin right now, and it's like pulling teeth to actually get something out of him) though I don't have any experience with him (I hear he's an asshole, but a good teacher).

If somebody, hypothetically, HASN'T looked at schedules yet or really put much thought into it besides taking evidence/corp, any classes suggested? Weekend classes that are especially worth it or seminars where the prof is fairly laid back with requirements?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 pm

I live in the CWE. To echo romo, you're going to be better off between Euclid and Taylor, and the closer to Euclid, the better. You also want to be further south of Delmar if possible - north of McPherson gets sketchier IMO.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Birdnals wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:Sale is super intense, Badawi is super cool, both are fantastic professors.

If somebody, hypothetically, HASN'T looked at schedules yet or really put much thought into it besides taking evidence/corp, any classes suggested? Weekend classes that are especially worth it or seminars where the prof is fairly laid back with requirements?

Heard only amazing things about Badawi, Sale is awesome, too. Intimidating at first, but an excellent teacher and class is interesting. Rosen's Evidence class is literally zero work (no reading, nothing) until you start worrying about the final.

Weekend classes are the least work for the credit, take a couple if you can. Ask around before choosing a seminar, they are very hit-or-miss on how interesting they are/amount of work they demand.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:40 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 am

hoos89 wrote:Did anyone have trouble getting into the corporations or evidence section they wanted? I've heard they fill up quick.

As a veteran of quick-clicking for concert tickets and whatnot I didn't find it particularly difficult to get into them, but make no mistake, there will be plenty of people who want to get into those classes (particularly Badawi) and don't. As long as you fill out the little worksheet thing in advance and click when it hits the appointed hour you should have a pretty good shot.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:20 pm

/

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Yeah, that'll work in your favor. Though there are also likely a few stray 2Ls who refused to take Corporations when they didn't get Badawi the first time around who will be getting him this semester. Of course, you'll be able to see exactly how many slots are still available after the 2Ls register, so you'll at least have a good idea of your chances.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:Yeah, that'll work in your favor. Though there are also likely a few stray 2Ls who refused to take Corporations when they didn't get Badawi the first time around who will be getting him this semester. Of course, you'll be able to see exactly how many slots are still available after the 2Ls register, so you'll at least have a good idea of your chances.

Yea, I know a lot of 2Ls that were really wanting Badawi, but the class was pretty full by the time we registered. I am planning on taking it with him this fall, but I think most 2Ls have already taken it.

I've also heard only bad things about Law. I'm waiting on Levin in the spring for Admin Law because I like him a lot and that's his specialty.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Are any of the profs known to deliberately turn the wifi off in their classes? I've heard of it happening at other schools I forget which ones. ... I only ask cuz I'm thinking abt buying one of those little 200 dollar chrome books just to take notes with in class since I don't wanna carry my heavier Lenovo around. But the chrome books need wifi for me to do anything with them.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm

/

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Probably not possible to turn off wifi, since three networks, and they all suck anyway. But I've had one class out of 8 that allows laptops, and in that class (small section of 45ish) only 3-4 people even had one out. Seems like Wash U embracing a no lap top policy, and I for one think its a good idea.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”