WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TatteredDignity

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:32 am

hoos89 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Hoos I asked my gf about this and she instantly knew who I was talking about (and that he's number 1).

Let this be a word to the wise OLs: there is no faster way to ostracise yourself from your classmates than being a jerk about your grades. Thankfully, we go to a pretty laid back school, and there is a tactful way to discuss jobs/grades among friends, but if you're looking for ways to tell other people how awesome you are, you should reevaluate yourself.

Honestly I don't think there's that much disdain against him in general because of this (I know I don't). I don't think I've ever actually heard him come out and say "hey I got two 100s," but I have heard people ask him about it (true, he did not deny it). Most of the people who know have heard about it 3rd, 4th hand etc.

It is definitely true that telling more than 0 people your grades is likely to make them widely known. But you don't have to flaunt.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:38 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
It is definitely true that telling more than 0 people your grades is likely to make them widely known. But you don't have to flaunt.

NOTE: As expected, TatteredDignity presupposes having noteworthy grades. :) You can probably tell a few people about your 88 in Torts and be safe in the assumption that no one cares.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Soliciting 2Lol exam advice. I am most interested in how to prepare for Osgood/American Legal History. I don't know if he's ever taught the class, but if anyone has any tips on how to prepare for that exam, I'd love to hear them. Other than that, just Norwood/Products Liability which seems super straightforward, and Davis/Trusts and Estates. For Davis, I think I have pretty good notes, but if people have found the E&E helpful, I'll probably give it a look.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:03 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

NOTE: As expected, TatteredDignity presupposes having noteworthy grades. :) You can probably tell a few people about your 88 in Torts and be safe in the assumption that no one cares.

If you're a huge jackhat and you do poorly, there's a decent chance at least some people will take pleasure in your misfortune.

Randomnumbers wrote:The median vs a forced curve gives professors some latitude to do stupid things. Even worse, the median is between 86.5 and 87.5 - so while most professors just grade to 87.5 like any reasonable person would, some (probably out of ignorance, not malice) grade to a lower mark. Some professors don't realize that they don't have to use the standard deviation of 5 that the registrar sets as a default. (It's my understanding that the program they use has them put in a median and a standard deviation, and puts things in order. I could be wrong.) I'd be a lot happier if they were all forced to - instead, we get people like Dinner messing stuff up.

Just so you're not always mad at Greenfield or Smith, a bunch of professors had medians lower than 87.5 that they reported as...87.5. I'm super OCD and ran the numbers on my professors.

Pretty sure 87.5 is the mean, not the median, correct?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:07 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:29 pm

soccerfreak wrote:Pretty sure 87.5 is the mean, not the median, correct?

I believe you are correct. It's a mean, not a median or a forced curve. I misspoke. (One imagines the school that graded based on mode...).

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 pm

/

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi. Cross-poasting from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=207303

"I'm clerking in St. Louis for 2014–15. I'd like to know where I should live. I have a car, so I can drive to downtown. Is there somewhere where the commute isn't terrible, maybe half an hour or less, that's also a cool neighborhood where I'll be around other 20- and 30somethings? Thanks."

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:35 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:Hi. Cross-poasting from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=207303

"I'm clerking in St. Louis for 2014–15. I'd like to know where I should live. I have a car, so I can drive to downtown. Is there somewhere where the commute isn't terrible, maybe half an hour or less, that's also a cool neighborhood where I'll be around other 20- and 30somethings? Thanks."

Every place you would want to live would be a half hour or less commute.

Central West end is younger, has a good bar scene, and is really nice. Lots of good restaurants/bars.

Tower Grove is also mostly young professionals. The gay friendly section of town "The Grove" isn't far, so if that is up your alley I would look there first. I am straight and live in tower grove and love it. Not really a good "going out" bar scene if gay bars aren't your thing. Lots of good restaurant bars though like Sasha's wine bar and Three Monkeys.

Soulard is basically a cheaper version of Central West End. Has 3AM bars, which is a step up on CWE who's bars mostly (all?) only stay open until 1.

Clayton is an older version of CWE. Lots of young professionals live/work there. Farthest of the 3 from downtown but still only a 15-20 min commute. Safer/less urban than CWE.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 pm

How long does it take to get to CWE to the law building? And do you recommend driving or taking that metro thingy.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:How long does it take to get to CWE to the law building? And do you recommend driving or taking that metro thingy.

15 minutes tops, and driving is a million times easier than metro - it doesn't run often enough

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Any decent places within walking distance of the law building or what's the downside? At least for 1l I think the closer the better.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Any decent places within walking distance of the law building or what's the downside? At least for 1l I think the closer the better.

Yes. I've personally got a 1BR for $595 that's right on the green shuttle line and is an 8 min. walk from the law school building- I don't even have a parking pass. There's also some quadrangle housing in that area that people seem to like (plus you can get a 9 month lease if you're pretty sure you won't be in st. louis in the summer).

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:56 pm

sublime wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Any decent places within walking distance of the law building or what's the downside? At least for 1l I think the closer the better.

Yes. I've personally got a 1BR for $595 that's right on the green shuttle line and is an 8 min. walk from the law school building- I don't even have a parking pass. There's also some quadrangle housing in that area that people seem to like (plus you can get a 9 month lease if you're pretty sure you won't be in st. louis in the summer).

Tips for that? I am also looking for a 1 BR and will likely not have a car, at least initially.

Ya same here

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:10 pm

/

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 pm

sublime wrote:Tips for that? I am also looking for a 1 BR and will likely not have a car, at least initially.

Craigslist/ pad mapper. I know guys in my 1L class in CWE who take the metro everyday and just catch rides when they are hung-over/ shitty weather. Lots of people carpool too after the first few weeks once people get to know each other.

Not having a car/ roommate with a car in STL is going to be rough though. I know people who do it, but I don't envy them.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Oh I more meant about that housing that's an 8 minute walk. I did t realize that poster wasn't gonna take his car.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:22 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:28 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Oh I more meant about that housing that's an 8 minute walk. I did t realize that poster wasn't gonna take his car.

pad mapper/Craigslist. Simple google search of "delmar 1br" etc. Honestly though, I wouldn't. Delmar loop kind of sucks if you are over 21/not a hipster. Most your classmates will live CWE. The extra 3 minutes it takes to take the metro instead of walking from 8 minutes away isn't going to kill your GPA.

If you can cop one of the nice apartments/condos south of the school it could be worth it, but that's about it.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Birdnals wrote:
sublime wrote:Tips for that? I am also looking for a 1 BR and will likely not have a car, at least initially.

Craigslist/ pad mapper. I know guys in my 1L class in CWE who take the metro everyday and just catch rides when they are hung-over/ shitty weather. Lots of people carpool too after the first few weeks once people get to know each other.

Not having a car/ roommate with a car in STL is going to be rough though. I know people who do it, but I don't envy them.

Ha, yeah, one of those people is me. I don't mind taking the metro to class, and then I can bum a ride with one of the 6-7 people that live on my block, and just buy them a beer or something later on. I actually like taking the metro, gives me a little time to myself. It's about a 8 minute walk to the stop, 7 minute ride, and then a 4 minute walk to the law building. Add about 2 minutes of getting there on time and such, and it's about 25 minutes. You get a free pass to the metro, so a way to save money. To drive, I'd say 10 minutes.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Honestly don't care if I live near undergrads or fellow law students, as long as it's dirt cheap and I have a less than 20% chance of getting shot each night.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:Honestly don't care if I live near undergrads or fellow law students, as long as it's dirt cheap and I have a less than 20% chance of getting shot each night.

Live in the loop in the buildings clustered southeast of the intersection of delmar and big bend. Walking to class and happy hours is clutch as a 1L plus you save gas and parking costs, jimmy johns is a 2 minute walk from one of the apartment buildings (I timed it from castlereagh), and studying can be a lot more palatable when you're near the school

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”