WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stratocophic

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 am

hoos89 wrote:
goldeneye wrote:I'm just relieved for the guy who asked the question at the Dean's Event about his deteriorating degree value because of our inevitable drop in rankings.

Haha I was about to say this

"It looks like we're going to slide again!"
Well Dean, based on the TTT-in-steep-decline numbers for the 1L class, a failure to understand your valid explanation for last year's slide, and the inescapable pessimism that comes with living in St. Louis, it looks like our ceiling for this year is SLU. What do you plan to do about it, now that the rankings have already been set in stone? Do we have plans to use our endowment to build a time machine to go back and reject all the 166s, and if not, why?

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am

stratocophic wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
goldeneye wrote:I'm just relieved for the guy who asked the question at the Dean's Event about his deteriorating degree value because of our inevitable drop in rankings.

Haha I was about to say this

"It looks like we're going to slide again!"
Well Dean, based on the TTT-in-steep-decline numbers for the 1L class, a failure to understand your valid explanation for last year's slide, and the inescapable pessimism that comes with living in St. Louis, it looks like our ceiling for this year is SLU. What do you plan to do about it, now that the rankings have already been set in stone? Do we have plans to use our endowment to build a time machine to go back and reject all the 166s, and if not, why?

166s LURK IN OUR MIDSTS!?!?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:02 am

JenDarby wrote:This thread pops up in my post list all the time.

I know people go in on WUSTL for not placing well, but the scholarship opportunities and nearly free COL are worth it. I ended up at Fordham with a lesser scholarship, despite WUSTL seeing I deposited and raising my scholarship to a nearly full ride. I am pretty confident I could have negotiated more, and I regret not doing it. For anyone who can go to WUSTL at a fair price, I have experienced that it actually does have a good rep in NYC. Also the less debt you have, the less tied you are to this "sinking ship."

Well after seeing what's going on in your other thread, we would have been glad to have you.

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 pm

whoa. I have never seen our thread this low on the page. I feel obliged to change that.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:45 pm

I got in yay!

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Can someone comment on Wash U's placement in Texas? Like OCI presence, grades needed to get there (assuming minimal to medium ties - not having grown up there or something).

I know they had 15 kids get jobs there last year.

Not saying I would want to go to Wash U only to get to Texas (I know UT-Austin, SMU, etc. are better for that), but it would be nice to know that it's a decent market to get to.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Tremendous wrote:Can someone comment on Wash U's placement in Texas? Like OCI presence, grades needed to get there (assuming minimal to medium ties - not having grown up there or something).

Not saying I would want to go to Wash U only to get to Texas (I know UT-Austin, SMU, etc. are better for that), but it would be nice to know that it's a decent market to get to.

Several firms show up for OCI, and I have a few friends who have gotten biglaw in Houston/Dallas. Like pretty much anywhere else, you can get there, but you'll likely need a good combination of ties/grades.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 pm

Tremendous wrote:Can someone comment on Wash U's placement in Texas? Like OCI presence, grades needed to get there (assuming minimal to medium ties - not having grown up there or something).

I was surprised at the number of Texas firms at OCI. The GPA cutoff for the Texas firms I saw was generally around top 33% or top 25%. But cutoffs ITE don't mean a lot. Even with that cutoff, you'd probably need top 20% to be safe.

I think Texas generally hires people that are from Texas but went to WUSTL and want to come back. Which is pretty much what every market is like except for New York. I wouldn't bank on trying to get into any market with no ties even from the bottom half of the T14, and maybe even any school below HYS.

There really isn't degree "portability" outside of HYS, except for the New York market. The reason why T14 schools place people nationally is mostly because they attract a national applicant pool. It's a lot of people going back to different home markets--not people from the Midwest using the school as a launching pad to work on the West Coast. There are a few exceptions that I know of, but in general, it's rare.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 am

If you have Texas ties, WUSTL places pretty decently back there. I know quite a few folks heading back there. Without ties you'll probably need top 10% to have a shot.

And I didn't forget about your PM, I'll get back to you soon

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 am

romothesavior wrote:If you have Texas ties, WUSTL places pretty decently back there. I know quite a few folks heading back there. Without ties you'll probably need top 10% to have a shot.

And I didn't forget about your PM, I'll get back to you soon
Agree with this (results may vary for those with tech backgrounds) and ditto

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah, IP and URM seem to be exceptions to the portability issue.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm

JCougar wrote:Yeah, IP and URM seem to be exceptions to the portability issue.

And to grade cutoffs, especially IP.

Oban

Postby Oban » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Texas actually seems to be one of the Markets we do well in, but maybe that's because of an unusually large chunk of Kids from Texas in the classes over the past few years.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:Yeah, IP and URM seem to be exceptions to the portability issue.

And to grade cutoffs, especially IP.

As an IP person who had screeners with a variety of Texas firms...they really really like ties.

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks to everyone who answered my Texas question.

I don't have what I would call "strong ties." I just grew up there for a few years when I was younger and have a lot of family (not parents/siblings) and friends in Dallas. Always been interested in moving out there though.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Over in the applicant thread we're talking about where to live. I figured you guys maybe the best people to ask. Also, any estimates on cost of living would be great. WUSTL puts 12k for room and board and 5k for personal expenses. It seems high to me, but my friend at WUSTL med says that's pretty accurate. Thoughts?

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Also, what actually constitutes "personal expenses"? Is that just things like entertainment and discretionary stuff? I haven't seen any other school include that category in their tuition and fees page so I wondered how accurate an estimate that is.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Over in the applicant thread we're talking about where to live. I figured you guys maybe the best people to ask. Also, any estimates on cost of living would be great. WUSTL puts 12k for room and board and 5k for personal expenses. It seems high to me, but my friend at WUSTL med says that's pretty accurate. Thoughts?

Central West End is popular, probably the plurality of students live there. The Loop is the best place to be if you're looking to save money but it's busy and less safe (try to stay south of Delmar). I personally love the Clayton area and the surrounding neighborhoods (the Moorlands neighborhood, Demun neighborhood, and the area near the Forsyth metro stop). I'd have lived around here all three year if I could have a do-over.

If you're spending more than $800-900, you're doing it wrong. For $800-900 you can live in a really awesome 1BR in a nice neighborhood. If you're looking to save, you can easily keep it to $600-700 for a decent place in one of the non-Loop neighborhoods I just mentioned. Just to give you an idea, I live near Clayton in a 1BR and pay $695. My 1L year my roommate and I paid $1,000 ($500pp) for a really nice, fully-furnished 2BR near the Loop, and my 2L year I split a fully-furnished house with a guy for $1,200 ($600pp).

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Romo. Where did you find the fully furnished places? That's what I'm on the market for but have had no luck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Romo. Where did you find the fully furnished places? That's what I'm on the market for but have had no luck.

You need to be very diligent, and a lot of it is just dumb luck in finding something first. They were both private individual owners on Craigslist, not companies.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Romo. Where did you find the fully furnished places? That's what I'm on the market for but have had no luck.

You need to be very diligent, and a lot of it is just dumb luck in finding something first. They were both private individual owners on Craigslist, not companies.

K thanks man.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Yeah, I have looked at damn near every 2-3 BR listed on Craigslist, Padmapper, etc. and the vast majority of the ones that do come furnished are privately owned. Finding a furnished place would be huge though because otherwise you have to either rent furniture for 100-200/mo, or buy furniture, get it delivered, assembled, figure out what to do with it and how to schlep it around after you move out, etc. Just sounds like a pain in the ass.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Xs20 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah, I have looked at damn near every 2-3 BR listed on Craigslist, Padmapper, etc. and the vast majority of the ones that do come furnished are privately owned. Finding a furnished place would be huge though because otherwise you have to either rent furniture for 100-200/mo, or buy furniture, get it delivered, assembled, figure out what to do with it and how to schlep it around after you move out, etc. Just sounds like a pain in the ass.

Exactly. Ironically here at OU we have a ton of fully furnished appartments, and they are actually, by far, the nicest appartments in the area. So I don't even have any furniture to move.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:20 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”