WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wannabelawstudent

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
law chihuahua wrote:Hi wannabelawstudent! I've seen you on the WUSTL waiting thread, and I really hope you get in! Good luck!

Here's the thread that was mentioned above:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=163901

Don't know if it will be particularly informative for TLS regulars, but maybe someone will find it helpful! :D

Thank you for that. I kinda knew about international law. Ironically, one my friends is a 1L at my local big state. On the school's website they do a profile on everyone and she has lasted as what she wants to do as "I want to practice international law" :(
goldeneye wrote:I know they don't matter, but inherently they do.

I do not have a good feeling about the rankings. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

You should have a good feeling about them.

Why are you toying me like this Mike! You know I haven't gotten in yet! Ughhhhhhhhhh

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Because I don't want to speak for anyone, particularly Wash U, or imply I have the rankings in hand, which I do not. Or get another PM thats says "share the rankings with me now" although come to think of it all this will do is create more of that. But it's good, T-20 news for the school, and appropriate I think.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm gonna hold you to that, Spivey. I'm guessing you have inside knowledge.

From my uninformed perspective, I actually think it's a pretty good bet that they go up. Syverud wasn't lying when he said our drop last year was solely due to to the new job reporting standards that we followed and everyone else didn't. Our reputation score was still top 20, and even though our LSAT median fell two points to begin with, we were already pretty high on that metric even for 18th rank. We were tied with Cornell and even a point above Berkeley in that regard.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:28 pm

So, I have a question about the write-on competition. Not for gunnerish purposes as much as timing/scheduling purposes

What is the process like? How long is it? Does one need to be on campus for it? On a related note, when do most 1L summer positions begin for STL students?

Odd questions, I know, but thanks in advance for the responses!

Unrelated: I know USNWR doesn't matter, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel somewhat invested in seeing WUSTL do well, haha.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Jcoug, you can bank on it that you guys are back in the top 20. Unless a compilation of people are lying to me, which would be so bizarre but a great prank!

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:So, I have a question about the write-on competition. Not for gunnerish purposes as much as timing/scheduling purposes

What is the process like? How long is it? Does one need to be on campus for it? On a related note, when do most 1L summer positions begin for STL students?

Unrelated: I know USNWR doesn't matter, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel somewhat invested in seeing WUSTL do well, haha.

I'm planning on staying in STL, solely because if I go elsewhere, I can't imagine I would be as productive. I'm sure the 2Ls and 3Ls can weigh in.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:What is the process like? How long is it? Does one need to be on campus for it? On a related note, when do most 1L summer positions begin for STL students?

IIRC, you must be there on campus to pick up the packet containing all the materials you need for the write-on (though I might completely misremember this, maybe they mail it out too). It lasts about a week and starts like the week after finals are over. You don't need to be on campus to do the write-on, and you can mail it back in. Most employers are cognizant of the fact that you might be doing the write-on, and will accommodate you if you ask.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm

lukertin wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:What is the process like? How long is it? Does one need to be on campus for it? On a related note, when do most 1L summer positions begin for STL students?

IIRC, you must be there on campus to pick up the packet containing all the materials you need for the write-on (though I might completely misremember this, maybe they mail it out too). It lasts about a week and starts like the week after finals are over. You don't need to be on campus to do the write-on, and you can mail it back in. Most employers are cognizant of the fact that you might be doing the write-on, and will accommodate you if you ask.

Nope, it's done online (I think through mylaw). A bunch of people were having heartattacks last year b/c the site was unavailable. So you should be fine doing it away from campus.

Also, apparently we're tied at 19 this year. yay for being able to say "I go to a top 20 law school" again

/never say that

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:30 pm

ooo they changed it

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:Also, apparently we're tied at 19 this year. yay for being able to say "I go to a top 20 law school" again

/never say that

Me neither. But I do say I go to the #1 law school in social life rankings.

Although I did not play beer pong at the last party I attended...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm

UIUC down to #47. lol

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Pretty psyched that my firm is less likely to no-offer me now.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Pretty psyched that my firm is less likely to no-offer me now.

But what if your firm falls 5-10 spots in the NLJ rankings? WOULD YOU EVEN WANT THE OFFER?!

dougfunny

Postby dougfunny » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Pretty psyched that my firm is less likely to no-offer me now.

Do you think that it matters that much?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:34 pm

dougfunny wrote:

Do you think that it matters that much?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:

But what if your firm falls 5-10 spots in the NLJ rankings? WOULD YOU EVEN WANT THE OFFER?!

Nah, I'll obv do 3L OCI. DAT PREFTIGE.

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

T20 once more. So happy for tatteredignity and others who will now stave off unemployment

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Also, what is tls wisdom on resubmitting resumes for pending jobs to reflect new law school ranking? What about jobs where I have already been rejected?!

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm just relieved for the guy who asked the question at the Dean's Event about his deteriorating degree value because of our inevitable drop in rankings.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 pm

A shot in the dark wrote:Also, what is tls wisdom on resubmitting resumes for pending jobs to reflect new law school ranking? What about jobs where I have already been rejected?!

I think the power play is to send them an e-card that blasts Toby Keith's "How Do You Like Me Now?!" on an endless loop.

A shot in the dark

Postby A shot in the dark » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 pm

At risk of pulling a tattereddignity...

::applauds::

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 pm

This thread pops up in my post list all the time.

I know people go in on WUSTL for not placing well, but the scholarship opportunities and nearly free COL are worth it. I ended up at Fordham with a lesser scholarship, despite WUSTL seeing I deposited and raising my scholarship to a nearly full ride. I am pretty confident I could have negotiated more, and I regret not doing it. For anyone who can go to WUSTL at a fair price, I have experienced that it actually does have a good rep in NYC. Also the less debt you have, the less tied you are to this "sinking ship."

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 am

Michael Bluth wrote:
A shot in the dark wrote:Also, what is tls wisdom on resubmitting resumes for pending jobs to reflect new law school ranking? What about jobs where I have already been rejected?!

I think the power play is to send them an e-card that blasts Toby Keith's "How Do You Like Me Now?!" on an endless loop.

Hahahahaha, this is probably the loudest actual LOL I let loose in response to something on TLS. Might also have something to do with my good mood. I had a nightmare last night that I woke up and we had dropped to # 47.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”