WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JCougar

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:22 am

Xs20 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Most annoying = everything that came out of that one chick's mouth=

Alright, I'm curious what this girl said

More like what didn't she say. She asked at least 4 questions, and they were done with an annoying, self-important tone like she was "grilling" the administration.

I walked out after her third question because it was getting too annoying to bear.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:41 am

She hot?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:11 am

rad lulz wrote:She hot?

Would we be bitching if she was? The law school population lets the few hotties get away with murder.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 am

Xs20 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Most annoying = everything that came out of that one chick's mouth=

She walked up to the mic with an attitude. "I have some questions." And then she asked about the recommendations to the grading change which is already finalized, about costs, and about something else. And then when she was done, she looked around and nobody was behind her, so she said, "I have more."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 am

goldeneye wrote:
Xs20 wrote:

She walked up to the mic with an attitude. "I have some questions." And then she asked about the recommendations to the grading change which is already finalized, about costs, and about something else. And then when she was done, she looked around and nobody was behind her, so she said, "I have more."

I missed all of this. What year was she?

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 am

andy261 wrote:I received job data for the few grads that have already passed through the TLP program, it was decent. Wash U probably has the most intriguing international law program outside of the T14. Also Prof. Sadat is pretty big in the public international law field.

I know international law in the U.S. is somewhat lacking, but there are more jobs if you're willing to work outside of the U.S. In my case, I did an exchange program in The Hague during college and am hoping to get an internship through one of my professors there who wrote me a rec and is also a prosecutor at an international tribunal.

Could you elaborate a bit on why you think Wash U's international law program is the most intriguing?
I really like everything that I've been finding out about Wash U so far, but I have not looked into the international law program that much yet. I already have relevant work experience abroad, and I would love to know what opportunities you think may be unique to Wash U.
Thanks! :D

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 am

romothesavior wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
Xs20 wrote:

2L, I walked out to keep eyes from falling out due excessive eye rolling. She's nice, but the questions...ugh.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 am

law chihuahua wrote:
andy261 wrote:I received job data for the few grads that have already passed through the TLP program, it was decent. Wash U probably has the most intriguing international law program outside of the T14. Also Prof. Sadat is pretty big in the public international law field.

I know international law in the U.S. is somewhat lacking, but there are more jobs if you're willing to work outside of the U.S. In my case, I did an exchange program in The Hague during college and am hoping to get an internship through one of my professors there who wrote me a rec and is also a prosecutor at an international tribunal.

Could you elaborate a bit on why you think Wash U's international law program is the most intriguing?
I really like everything that I've been finding out about Wash U so far, but I have not looked into the international law program that much yet. I already have relevant work experience abroad, and I would love to know what opportunities you think may be unique to Wash U.

PMed

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 am

cusenation wrote:
law chihuahua wrote:

PMed

Awesome! Thank you!

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 am

notedgarfigaro wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

2L, I walked out to keep eyes from falling out due excessive eye rolling. She's nice, but the questions...ugh.

She just seemed like she had gotten the run-around previously and now was a good time when she had everybody together.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

Let me just say this regarding international law: we do have a lot of international law offerings and apparently some very strong connections with overseas partners, but unless you actually have the resume for it, it's next to impossible to break into. Some K-JDer with a Political Science degree doesn't just waltz into a job writing constitutions in third-world countries or taking down bad guys at the Hague. You better have significant international resume experience and probably some strong language skills if you want a shot at the prestigious or competitive jobs, and even then it's unlikely to happen. I know people who have done some really cool stuff internationally during their time in law school, but I can't think of any 3Ls off the top of my head who are currently employed in a job overseas. (I'm sure there are a handful, I just can't think of any.)

The people who actually end up working in "international law" generally are people with strong connections or language skills that go off to international branches of law firms. But of course, that's hardly what most people mean by "international law" as 0Ls and 1Ls. They generally mean going off to some country and fighting for the little guy and doing human rights work for an NGO, and there's just not much of that kind of thing out there for a freshly minted J.D. I'm not saying international law doesn't exist like some people have argued, but it is possibly the most prestigious and most difficult to crack field there is. People just need to be realistic. It always amazes me how many 1Ls come in all bright-eyed about international law, and it shocks me that some are still hooked on that bit by 3L year.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:24 am

romothesavior wrote:Let me just say this regarding international law: we do have a lot of international law offerings and apparently some very strong connections with overseas partners, but unless you actually have the resume for it, it's next to impossible to break into. Some K-JDer with a Political Science degree doesn't just waltz into a job writing constitutions in third-world countries or taking down bad guys at the Hague. You better have significant international resume experience and probably some strong language skills if you want a shot at the prestigious or competitive jobs, and even then it's unlikely to happen. I know people who have done some really cool stuff internationally during their time in law school, but I can't think of any 3Ls off the top of my head who are currently employed in a job overseas. (I'm sure there are a handful, I just can't think of any.)

The people who actually end up working in "international law" generally are people with strong connections or language skills that go off to international branches of law firms. But of course, that's hardly what most people mean by "international law" as 0Ls and 1Ls. They generally mean going off to some country and fighting for the little guy and doing human rights work for an NGO, and there's just not much of that kind of thing out there for a freshly minted J.D. I'm not saying international law doesn't exist like some people have argued, but it is possibly the most prestigious and most difficult to crack field there is. People just need to be realistic. It always amazes me how many 1Ls come in all bright-eyed about international law, and it shocks me that some are still hooked on that bit by 3L year.

Thanks for that, romothesavior. As a third time reapplicant to law schools who's seen many people repeat the same questions, I understand how important it is for people with the most recent experience in law school to comment on what things are really like on the battlefield.

It's great that you provide such updates and that you also care for the future classes enough to drop by and provide such help when you don't have an obligation to do so and a lot of people don't bother.

If it's been forgotten, there was a public service announcement about international law that was around TLS a long time ago.
Perhaps it should be bumped again. :D

Anyways, this is all helping me learn more about the school, and it's awesome because it is very likely that I will attend Wash U this fall. :mrgreen:

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:Let me just say this regarding international law: we do have a lot of international law offerings and apparently some very strong connections with overseas partners, but unless you actually have the resume for it, it's next to impossible to break into. Some K-JDer with a Political Science degree doesn't just waltz into a job writing constitutions in third-world countries or taking down bad guys at the Hague. You better have significant international resume experience and probably some strong language skills if you want a shot at the prestigious or competitive jobs, and even then it's unlikely to happen. I know people who have done some really cool stuff internationally during their time in law school, but I can't think of any 3Ls off the top of my head who are currently employed in a job overseas. (I'm sure there are a handful, I just can't think of any.)

I have a good friend who has worked overseas every summer during law school and worked abroad during 3L. No luck getting a Int. Law job post graduation. No one wants to hire new JDs, they'll gladly have you volunteer/work for peanuts during school though.

As far as language skills, you had better be Fluent in french if you want a prestigious public interests type international law gig.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks all for the input. I, at least, don't bank on getting a job in public international law right out of law school, but I figured having some continued exposure to it during law school and the LL.M would help in the future.

The couple people that were working internationally from the TLP program were mostly in the private sector but there was one I believe who scored a job at the Rwanda tribunal. The nice thing about TLP is that the LL.M is at the end so if you have a good job lined up before then, you can just decide not to do it.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 pm

More info on the semester in practice externship on the Wash U website: here

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:More info on the semester in practice externship on the Wash U website: here

Good find, thanks!

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:24 pm

law chihuahua wrote:If it's been forgotten, there was a public service announcement about international law that was around TLS a long time ago.
Perhaps it should be bumped again. :D

Can someone find me this thread....I've looked but can't find it anywhere.

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:24 am

Hi wannabelawstudent! I've seen you on the WUSTL waiting thread, and I really hope you get in! Good luck!

Here's the thread that was mentioned above:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=163901

Don't know if it will be particularly informative for TLS regulars, but maybe someone will find it helpful! :D

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 am

Pretty cool that the dean and tamanaha signed this letter. It isn't the most groundbreaking thing ever, but at least they care.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:26 am

TatteredDignity wrote:Pretty cool that the dean and tamanaha signed this letter. It isn't the most groundbreaking thing ever, but at least they care.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

The dean signed a letter about combating the rising cost of legal education while raising tuition by a couple grand... so meh.

Tamanaha is the absolute man though.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:04 pm

law chihuahua wrote:Hi wannabelawstudent! I've seen you on the WUSTL waiting thread, and I really hope you get in! Good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=163901

Don't know if it will be particularly informative for TLS regulars, but maybe someone will find it helpful! :D

Thank you for that. I kinda knew about international law. Ironically, one my friends is a 1L at my local big state. On the school's website they do a profile on everyone and she has lasted as what she wants to do as "I want to practice international law" :(

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm

I know they don't matter, but inherently they do.

I do not have a good feeling about the rankings. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

MikeSpivey

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:13 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
law chihuahua wrote:Hi wannabelawstudent! I've seen you on the WUSTL waiting thread, and I really hope you get in! Good luck!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=163901

Thank you for that. I kinda knew about international law. Ironically, one my friends is a 1L at my local big state. On the school's website they do a profile on everyone and she has lasted as what she wants to do as "I want to practice international law" :(
goldeneye wrote:I know they don't matter, but inherently they do.

I do not have a good feeling about the rankings. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

You should have a good feeling about them.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
goldeneye wrote:I know they don't matter, but inherently they do.

You should have a good feeling about them.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”