WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
goldeneye

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Postby goldeneye » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:anyone else getting emails trying to get your WU login/pw/student ID? Gotten two asking me to put my info in a google docs of all things.

Yeah, I've gotten it twice now. Annoying.

are we talking students?

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 pm

goldeneye wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:anyone else getting emails trying to get your WU login/pw/student ID? Gotten two asking me to put my info in a google docs of all things.

are we talking students?

yes

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
fl0w wrote:I'm honestly baffled as to why a MUCH larger portion of the class doesn't do it. I got 14 units, all classes were pass fail, I only had 3 days of week where I had class (4 day weekend every weekend), I studied for a grand total of 5 days the whole semester and read an estimated 50pages total. Seriously going down as one of the best experiences of my life.

Was it very expensive? Seems like it would be, but probably more so if you're looking at Europe than Asia.

Well China is much cheaper than the US. Tuition wise, you pay your tuition to wustl as usual and they handle all of that. You just have to pay your living expenses. So for me it has been super cheap. The most expensive meal I've had here was about $45 USD. And that was for 8 people. And Shanghai has this weird thing where "exotic" looking people tend to be able to drink for free when they go out to bars/clubs.

AUS I've heard is a bank-breaker. EU I duno about.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:12 pm

Studying abroad in Asia is TCR. By far the cheapest option. I did Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia when I was in college and actually spent less than I would have if I'd been here.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

are we talking students?

yes

that's terrible. i don't see why they would want it? what good will it do them??

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Does somebody want to be a peach and explain this funky grading system?

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Birdnals wrote:Does somebody want to be a peach and explain this funky grading system?

First year classes are graded with a mandatory mean of 87, which professors can go .5 in either direction. There is no forced distribution, but most professors do try and have somewhat of a curve (apparently the program they're given does put out a suggested curve, but there are horror stories about classes with weird distributions, like the professor that handed out 4 100s and a ton of 82s to balance it out). If your professor taught the course in previous years, you can get a sense as to where you fell in the class by looking at previous classes' distributions on the registrar's website, but it does vary year to year.

Upper level courses have a mandatory mean of the GPA average of everyone in the class; seminars only have a mandatory median, with a restriction on how many high grades can be given out.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Birdnals wrote:Does somebody want to be a peach and explain this funky grading system?

I personally like our grading system a lot, though apparently there are those who disagree since there's talk of changing it.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:57 pm

crush your exams
then don't worry about it.

I give a shitty dick-ish answer to cover up the fact that I don't understand our grading system in the slightest. employers don't understand it either, which i think actually helps our students to a little better in being selected for interviews.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:41 am

romothesavior wrote:

I personally like our grading system a lot, though apparently there are those who disagree since there's talk of changing it.

Grats on the modship.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:41 am

Whether the granularity our system provides for benefits you turns on where you fall in the range. If a 90 and a 92 are both called an A-, that helps the 90 and hurts the 92.

The other (related) impact is that one stellar grade of 99-100 can really help you out, more than an A or A+ would elsewhere. I suppose the converse of this is that one really bad grade could sink you, too. But then you could explain away that grade as a fluke to employers, and highlight the other grades. Whereas the person who made top 10% solely on the strength of one 99 would focus on the topline gpa in interviews. So like flow said, I think our system helps us better manipulate employers.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:07 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Grats on the modship.

Thank you, thank you.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:44 pm

What's the going rate for a nicer, modern 1 bedroom apt in the CWE or Loop? Been living in shitty apartments in UG so I'm thinking of looking for a nicer place for law school. Trying to stay under 1000/mo though, anyone have any recommendations? TYIA

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Paraflam wrote:What's the going rate for a nicer, modern 1 bedroom apt in the CWE or Loop? Been living in shitty apartments in UG so I'm thinking of looking for a nicer place for law school. Trying to stay under 1000/mo though, anyone have any recommendations? TYIA

$600-800. I live on the border of Clayton and U-City (right near downtown Clayton) in a decent little place for $600 a month. You can get real quality for under $1000.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Paraflam wrote:What's the going rate for a nicer, modern 1 bedroom apt in the CWE or Loop? Been living in shitty apartments in UG so I'm thinking of looking for a nicer place for law school. Trying to stay under 1000/mo though, anyone have any recommendations? TYIA

If you're paying 1k for a 1BR in St. Louis...you're getting ripped off. Make sure you shop around a bit before committing, you'd be shocked at how cheap housing his here compared to the coasts/Chicago, and most law school students end up really overpaying.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Cwe going to cost you more than a k easily. If you want bang for your buck, then delmar and Clayton.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:55 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Cwe going to cost you more than a k easily. If you want bang for your buck, then delmar and Clayton.

I dunno about that. I do agree that you'll get more bang for your buck in the Loop or Clayton, but you can do CWE for less than a grand and still have a solid place.

For prospectives, some neighborhoods to consider that are close to school but not in the Loop/CWE/Downtown Clayton:

-The Moorlands neighborhood in Clayton
-Demun
-On and around Lindell/Forsyth west of campus (this is where I live)
-On Delmar west of the Loop

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:57 pm

I was living in the CWE for under 600/mo in a studio...I think the 1br in that apartment complex were $800.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:10 am

studio just isn't sexy enough for me.
My place is 1K/mo. Before moving to STL for school I owned a place in CHI and had become accustomed to many amenities that I was unwilling to sacrifice on. I pay for it and I'm happy to pay for it.

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Rent here is great. I live in a 3 bedroom place with a huge basement as a bonus, which in theory could have 2 more bedrooms if you wanted to live down there... and it's only 800 a month for the whole shebang.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:01 pm

lukertin wrote:I was living in the CWE for under 600/mo in a studio...I think the 1br in that apartment complex were $800.

He said a nice up to date 1 br. And I only talk about the heart of the cwe as the cwe. I don't consider places where I have to walk more than 5 minutes to get to anything as the cwe. Then there are crappy places like Montclair on the park that would probably be less than a k. But with the hospital and nicer neighborhood, it inflates the price big time.

Oban

Postby Oban » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:46 am

Yeah there are some cheap places in "west central west end" if you know what i mean...

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:42 am

Oban wrote:Yeah there are some cheap places in "west central west end" if you know what i mean...

Yep, this is where I live. You have to take the questionable metro stop at Debaliviere, but aside from that it's awesome. My spouse and I have a spacious and really nice 2BR for 1100 a month, so I'd have to guess the 1BRs are way less than that. If you don't mind living a little closer to the hood, I'd suggest you check out the neighborhoods between union and debaliviere off pershing.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:34 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Cwe going to cost you more than a k easily. If you want bang for your buck, then delmar and Clayton.

dietcoke0 continuing his run as worst WUSTL poster? Paying more then ~800 to live anywhere in STL you are either overpaying or paying for luxuries that a law student really doesn't need (and definitely shouldn't be paying for with loans). Check out padmapper - there is a *ton* of stuff for 550-900 in the CWE.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:

dietcoke0 continuing his run as worst WUSTL poster? Paying more then ~800 to live anywhere in STL you are either overpaying or paying for luxuries that a law student really doesn't need (and definitely shouldn't be paying for with loans). Check out padmapper - there is a *ton* of stuff for 550-900 in the CWE.

Lol, absolutely +1ing that- check out the 1L fall grades waiting thread for a good hard chuckle.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”