WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
romothesavior

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Bumi wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Side note, I came by randomly on Wednesday and didn't get to sit in on 10:00 conlaw because of the appellate stuff going on. Shame :-( the building was great, though.

You would have been in my con law class too, I think. With La Pierre?

Assuming you also have him at 10:00am on Mondays, I was in that class today. He is an interesting guy.

I loved the school, and was really impressed with the people.

:lol: I was wondering if any of you four in the front were TLSers. I sat kinda close to you.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:16 pm

romothesavior wrote: :lol: I was wondering if any of you four in the front were TLSers. I sat kinda close to you.

Seemed like the teaching was about 25% socratic and 75% lecture. Is that typical?

myq

Postby myq » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Bumi wrote:
romothesavior wrote: :lol: I was wondering if any of you four in the front were TLSers. I sat kinda close to you.

Seemed like the teaching was about 25% socratic and 75% lecture. Is that typical?

You're being generous with the "25% socratic." LaPierre isn't a typical law school professor.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 pm

myq wrote:
Bumi wrote:Seemed like the teaching was about 25% socratic and 75% lecture. Is that typical?

You're being generous with the "25% socratic." LaPierre isn't a typical law school professor.

Yeah he's very old school in a lot of ways, but he does like to talk a lot. Today was also a bit of a recap over the commerce clause stuff we've done, so he lectured more than usual.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:21 am

hey man, I appreciate the feedback.
Looking at craigslist it seems that I could very easily find a 1BR for 600 a month? Is this accurate? What are the main neighborhoods students live in? Ideally, I would like a place relatively quiet (away from undergrads), near some park with greenery to go running, and within a mile or mile and a half of classes? thanks

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 am

seriously???? wrote:hey man, I appreciate the feedback.
Looking at craigslist it seems that I could very easily find a 1BR for 600 a month? Is this accurate? What are the main neighborhoods students live in? Ideally, I would like a place relatively quiet (away from undergrads), near some park with greenery to go running, and within a mile or mile and a half of classes? thanks

well you're in luck as wustl is adjacent to an enormous fucking park (LinkRemoved)

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:45 am

wow...thanks...this would probably be the main reason I would attend

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 am

seriously???? wrote:wow...thanks...this would probably be the main reason I would attend

I drove through the park twice while I visited. That thing is enormous with plenty of places to go running, which tons of people were doing on Sunday when it was nice.

Also, the school has a list of apartment buildings and landlords in neighborhoods where students live that include ranges for rent that they will give you if you visit. Rent looked ridiculously low.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 pm

On page 6 of this thread, I posted my thoughts on housing. You definitely could get something pretty nice in the ~$600-700 range. I pay $500 per month for a really nice, spacious 2BR with my roommate. I'd imagine you'll be paying a little more for a comparable 1BR, but I know plenty of people who have kept it at or around $600.

padmapper.com is a great resource for finding apartments.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:11 pm

This has been asked a few times in the admissions thread, but we're just a bunch of n00bs over there... anyone here have experience with scholarship negotiatioins with WUSTL? I won't bother if they're hardline, but I see no reason not to try if it's something they've been known to do in the past.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:18 pm

0LNewbie wrote:This has been asked a few times in the admissions thread, but we're just a bunch of n00bs over there... anyone here have experience with scholarship negotiatioins with WUSTL? I won't bother if they're hardline, but I see no reason not to try if it's something they've been known to do in the past.

They didn't budge for me, but I don't think they're "hardline." I think a few people have gotten scholly increases (both solicited and unsolicited) in the past, so it can't hurt to ask.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:This has been asked a few times in the admissions thread, but we're just a bunch of n00bs over there... anyone here have experience with scholarship negotiatioins with WUSTL? I won't bother if they're hardline, but I see no reason not to try if it's something they've been known to do in the past.

They didn't budge for me, but I don't think they're "hardline." I think a few people have gotten scholly increases (both solicited and unsolicited) in the past, so it can't hurt to ask.

The bold is what I'm most concerned with. The number was higher than what I expected given my numbers, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful by asking for more. At the same time, it's still really expensive, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say what you're able to pay.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:39 pm

0LNewbie wrote:The bold is what I'm most concerned with. The number was higher than what I expected given my numbers, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful by asking for more. At the same time, it's still really expensive, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say what you're able to pay.

The people in the admissions office are very nice, and they are very conscious of the financial burden that a law school (especially a private one) puts on students. They get these sorts of requests all the time, and they know how to deal with it. They aren't going to think you're ungrateful, and they aren't going to rescind your scholarship. They understand the issues we are faced with. Just be polite and courteous.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks for your wisdom, as always!

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:The people in the admissions office are very nice, and they are very conscious of the financial burden that a law school (especially a private one) puts on students.

I have no experience with scholarship negotiations obviously, but just wanted to chime in and mention that what I have quoted above is absolutely true from my interactions with them during my visit.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Thanks for your wisdom, as always!

Just FYI, I know someone who asked for more this week. Basically, they said that they had not handed out all the schollys yet, so they couldn't do anything right now. Best thing to do is send a polite email, and if you have higher offers from other schools, send them the numbers (ideally, send them copies of the letters). I don't know when they'll be finished handing out $$, but be prepared to wait (even if you're waiting for a big fat "no"). My friend is sweating, because it's number one on his list.

What's your LSAT? WUSTL's been kind of an LSAT hound this cycle.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Verity wrote:

Just FYI, I know someone who asked for more this week. Basically, they said that they had not handed out all the schollys yet, so they couldn't do anything right now. Best thing to do is send a polite email, and if you have higher offers from other schools, send them the numbers (ideally, send them copies of the letters). I don't know when they'll be finished handing out $$, but be prepared to wait (even if you're waiting for a big fat "no"). My friend is sweating, because it's number one on his list.

Wow, thanks for the insight, that's great.

LSAT is 175.

Given that they're going to wait until all the money is handed out, maybe I should wait until then? Right now, it's kind of nice to not be waiting on an email from them, for once :-)

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am

0LNewbie wrote:
Verity wrote:

Wow, thanks for the insight, that's great.

LSAT is 175.

Given that they're going to wait until all the money is handed out, maybe I should wait until then? Right now, it's kind of nice to not be waiting on an email from them, for once :-)

Well, don't wait - they'll send your request to the scholarship committee now, and they'll make a decision later. If you wait, you could miss the opportunity (since we don't know when they will actually reevaluate schollys). I don't know what they gave you (I'm guessing $75K to $84K judging from your LSAT and the fact you're asking for more, though I don't know your GPA), but make sure you can provide them with your other offers so that they know you're not just trying to give them the squeeze, and that you do have other options. Barring an incredibly low GPA, you might be able to get a bit more.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 am

Verity wrote:
Well, don't wait - they'll send your request to the scholarship committee now, and they'll make a decision later. If you wait, you could miss the opportunity (since we don't know when they will actually reevaluate schollys). I don't know what they gave you (I'm guessing $75K to $84K judging from your LSAT and the fact you're asking for more, though I don't know your GPA), but make sure you can provide them with your other offers so that they know you're not just trying to give them the squeeze, and that you do have other options. Barring an incredibly low GPA, you might be able to get a bit more.

Ahh, therein lies the rub. It's really low (2.5ish). And they started me at 60K. Part of me feels like that's probably their best offer, but if I never ask, I'd always wonder.

Thanks again for the advice and anecdote, I'll hit them up soon.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 am

0LNewbie wrote:
Verity wrote:

Ahh, therein lies the rub. It's really low (2.5ish). And they started me at 60K. Part of me feels like that's probably their best offer, but if I never ask, I'd always wonder.

I got 75k with 170/2.9, so I'd say go for it.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 am

fatduck wrote:I got 75k with 170/2.9, so I'd say go for it.

I agree go for it, but I do not mean to seem like a stalker, but you have prior military experience? I think maybe you got some extra cash, because unlike most of us splitters, you have done something that truly shows you have the discipline for law school. And your major actually looks difficult.

Also, how does the whole scholarship thing work? You don't just talk to one person, for it has to get sent and reviewed by a committee?

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:16 am

seriously???? wrote:Also, how does the whole scholarship thing work? You don't just talk to one person, for it has to get sent and reviewed by a committee?

Committee, and the admissions office is the conduit.

0LNewbie wrote:Ahh, therein lies the rub. It's really low (2.5ish). And they started me at 60K. Part of me feels like that's probably their best offer, but if I never ask, I'd always wonder.

Worth the try, though honestly it's doubtful.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

seriously???? wrote:
fatduck wrote:I got 75k with 170/2.9, so I'd say go for it.

I agree go for it, but I do not mean to seem like a stalker, but you have prior military experience? I think maybe you got some extra cash, because unlike most of us splitters, you have done something that truly shows you have the discipline for law school. And your major actually looks difficult.

Also, how does the whole scholarship thing work? You don't just talk to one person, for it has to get sent and reviewed by a committee?

true ex-army + engineering degree could have something to do with it, but i think other splitters got $75k in the first wave of scholarships? i could be wrong though, i haven't really been following LSN.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:53 pm

University City is cool and it's near the school, but it is kind of undergrad-y. I think you would like the Central West End. It's at the opposite end of the enormous park, it's a little more quieter and mature, but there's still a lot to do. Lots of grad students and medical school people in the area.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

word, will definitely check it out when I visit

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”