WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fl0w

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:31 am

romothesavior wrote:Who are your LP/LR profs? I literally never opened my LP book the whole year, and I only opened the LR one when it was crunch time for the test. And I know I'm not alone there.

you certainly are not alone.
did not use them at all.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 am

soccerfreak wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
goldeneye wrote:what exactly is the effort required for the readings in legal practice and legal research?
didn't do em. use them as a guide for your assignments, but probably no need otherwise

Even if the syllabus says they may call on people? I guess they're only a total of 3 credits anyways

I read for the first class and never opened them again, except for the bluebook

your bluebook is a different monster. you want to get pretty familiar with it. over each summer, the people that didn't know their bluebooking very well at my positions really wished that they understood it. so it's more of a life skill than a class thing

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:09 pm

LP book's usefulness came primarily from the example memos/briefs, BUT...depending on your prof, you may have to answer questions in class about it. Soccerfreak and I had the same prof and she asked questions (really easy questions), so I still skimmed the chapter outline before class.

LR book...let's just say I finally cleaned my apartment the other day and was like, "hmm, that's a random dusty book I've never seen before" and it was the research book.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 pm

our class is now 204. a kid from SLU just got off the waitlist. or it could be 203 and someone else got in elsewhere. SLU started a week ago too...

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:28 pm

1L's, just an FYI...knowing how to brief a case is NOT the most important thing you need to learn from your professors.

/randomly eavesdropping in Crowder

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:13 pm

lol i was just quoting Greenfield take it easy. what a bumfuck of a day 4 classes from 930 to 430. and Greenfield is the only one teaching us how to brief a case and he's doing a damned good job plus he's taking it easy on us the first week i can tell. Droback is showing some mercy in Civ Pro with pennoyer v neff but osgood is just piling on cases on which he makes random historical comments. i read like 30 pages worth of cases for osgood today. he's just brutal.

saffronleaf

Postby saffronleaf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster.

1L @ WUSTL.

I have Torts with Goldwasser and Property with Konig; I wanted to know if I should get any supplement books for those courses. I have Con Law with Magarian but I know Chemerinsky is the main (only?) supplement for that.

Thanks.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 pm

roaringeagle wrote:lol i was just quoting Greenfield take it easy. what a bumfuck of a day 4 classes from 930 to 430. and Greenfield is the only one teaching us how to brief a case and he's doing a damned good job plus he's taking it easy on us the first week i can tell. Droback is showing some mercy in Civ Pro with pennoyer v neff but osgood is just piling on cases on which he makes random historical comments. i read like 30 pages worth of cases for osgood today. he's just brutal.

Dude, if you ever get called on, work in "sargagocy". Like, "This case is just a sargagocy."

I don't know what it means, but he eats that shit up.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:37 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:lol i was just quoting Greenfield take it easy. what a bumfuck of a day 4 classes from 930 to 430. and Greenfield is the only one teaching us how to brief a case and he's doing a damned good job plus he's taking it easy on us the first week i can tell. Droback is showing some mercy in Civ Pro with pennoyer v neff but osgood is just piling on cases on which he makes random historical comments. i read like 30 pages worth of cases for osgood today. he's just brutal.

Dude, if you ever get called on, work in "sargagocy". Like, "This case is just a sargagocy."

Lulz bro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargasso_Sea

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:

Lulz bro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargasso_Sea

lol...I had no idea what bouakedojo was referring to, now it makes sense. Also use pea soup, and refer to ye olde England as much as possible.

Also, do not call him sir. He doesn't like that.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 am

I hope that any 1Ls reading this thread also read this article.

http://www.tnr.com/article/magazine/boo ... m?page=0,4

Any time you see a scalia opinion in class, please attack scalia personally in a posner-esque manner. It's super nerdy but I was all like "oh no he DI-N'T" while reading this. Jaw dropped like Sebastian in The Littler Mermaid.

Selfishly I just want to hear the professor's reaction to scalia bashing. (magarian would probably love it; although you'd have to slide a scalia reference in on the side while bashing textualism in general).

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
lukertin wrote:Rosen is awesome.

Some people seem to like him a lot, but I don't think I had a law school class that I disliked more, or tried in less.

Now able to +1 this. He's way more concerned with telling stories that do nothing to illustrate his point than actually teaching. They all make me want to raise my hand and say "cool story, bro."

I want to skip the next 3 months, read some supplement that will cover all this way more efficiently, and take the exam.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:55 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lukertin wrote:Rosen is awesome.

Some people seem to like him a lot, but I don't think I had a law school class that I disliked more, or tried in less.

Now able to +1 this. He's way more concerned with telling stories that do nothing to illustrate his point than actually teaching. They all make me want to raise my hand and say "cool story, bro."

I want to skip the next 3 months, read some supplement that will cover all this way more efficiently, and take the exam.

I'll do this with you, we can discuss competency rules on the golf course.

konar

Postby konar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

fl0w wrote:I hope that any 1Ls reading this thread also read this article.

http://www.tnr.com/article/magazine/boo ... m?page=0,4

Any time you see a scalia opinion in class, please attack scalia personally in a posner-esque manner. It's super nerdy but I was all like "oh no he DI-N'T" while reading this. Jaw dropped like Sebastian in The Littler Mermaid.

Selfishly I just want to hear the professor's reaction to scalia bashing. (magarian would probably love it; although you'd have to slide a scalia reference in on the side while bashing textualism in general).

I don't typically volunteer opinions in class, but I'll make an exception for some quality Scalia bashing.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:26 am

romothesavior wrote:Anybody know the 1L median #s?

166/3.64
LSAT splits were 160/166/168

woof.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:52 am

notedgarfigaro wrote:

166/3.64

woof.

Wow, woof indeed. Link?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:57 am

dietcoke0 wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:

166/3.64

woof.

Wow, woof indeed. Link?

Ouch. Drop 75 students in two years and throw lots of money around and we still dropped our medians? Not good.

I thought a few people said the GPA median was the highest ever or something though?

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:38 am

romothesavior wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:

166/3.64

woof.

Wow, woof indeed. Link?

Ouch. Drop 75 students in two years and throw lots of money around and we still dropped our medians? Not good.

I thought a few people said the GPA median was the highest ever or something though?

I'm just going by the info sheet that was floating around happy hour yesterday...also, only 2 Duke students was a major surprise. I think people were saying highest gpa ever bc of the reverse splitter movement off the wait list.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Ah, didn't make it to happy hour last night. Still a bit weak. Guessing huge transfer class coming next year to make up revenue.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:37 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:

166/3.64

woof.

Pathetic, but I'll be curious to see what other schools are packing.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Based on the late push from peers and 30+ schools that I withdrew from in April, (offering big scholarships even though I told them I was withdrawn) I would say everyone is similarly hurting this cycle.

Guessing quite a few people withdrew to higher school at WUSTL because of T14 deficiencies. I wish I threw some hail marys to some of the other higher ranked schools, but I am really happy at Wash U (a whole week into my law school career)

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Have David Law as a visiting professor at Georgetown this semester. Considering dropping the class; I have three classes (his is one) of which I'll be dropping two. I've seen some people in this thread are not fans; just how bad is he?

Punisha20

Postby Punisha20 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:16 pm

sambeber wrote:Have David Law as a visiting professor at Georgetown this semester. Considering dropping the class; I have three classes (his is one) of which I'll be dropping two. I've seen some people in this thread are not fans; just how bad is he?

People usually dislike his personality, but the guy is brilliant and a great teacher of law. Most people really enjoy his class, but he can be offensive at times and/or talk about his credentials way too much. However, you do learn a ton and he is not as bad as his TLS/school reputation suggests.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 pm

stratocophic wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:

166/3.64

woof.

Apparently CO 2015 is now to 166 / 3.68 (late addition / subtraction from the class?). That magically and mysteriously ties us with Notre Dame.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:

166/3.64

woof.

Apparently CO 2015 is now to 166 / 3.68 (late addition / subtraction from the class?). That magically and mysteriously ties us with Notre Dame.

Goooo Wustl, probably took some kid from SLU 3 weeks into their classes. I heartily approve of the gaming. Could've lost someone to Chicago or NU too I guess, which is also fine

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”