WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stratocophic

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby stratocophic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 am

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:Yes, but you should realize that this professor's exam grade was essentially a crapshoot.

Yeah, but what exam isn't a crapshoot? I mean, like you said, one 100 can radically change your whole semester. The fact that it is even possible for a prof to give out 4 100s is absurd.
Nah, hers was different. Trust me. The other two I've taken weren't a surprise in any way, and hers... let's just say it was interesting, as was (from what I've heard) her grading method. Plus our letter's Ks professor gave out 3 95s as the highest grade, so that evened it out for our letter at least. Even if the same people CALI'd both classes, or even half, that would bring their average for the two down to a reasonable 97ish. Considering that one dude popped off a 100 average in some other section and we only had 1 professor who even gave a 100 out, I wouldn't be worrying about E and B too much :?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 pm

stratocophic wrote:Considering that one dude popped off a 100 average in some other section

Dunno where you heard this but its not even possible. :lol:

Anyways, back to the questions...

motedust

Postby motedust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:40 pm

I believe he is referencing the kid from B who posted his "grades" which was apparently a joke. Was heavily circulated through our section and school though.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm

motedust wrote:I believe he is referencing the kid from B who posted his "grades" which was apparently a joke. Was heavily circulated through our section and school though.
Yep. There was OUTRAGE over that one

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:15 pm

What does it mean to Cali a class?

Side note, I came by randomly on Wednesday and didn't get to sit in on 10:00 conlaw because of the appellate stuff going on. Shame :-( the building was great, though.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Is WashU open on Monday despite the holiday? Are the offices open? I'd love to visit that day, but it's one of those weird holidays that are only real to about half the people.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:20 pm

0LNewbie wrote:What does it mean to Cali a class?

Side note, I came by randomly on Wednesday and didn't get to sit in on 10:00 conlaw because of the appellate stuff going on. Shame :-( the building was great, though.

You would have been in my con law class too, I think. With La Pierre? Did you end up going to watch the 8th Circuit oral arguments? Both cases were really interesting.

And a CALI means you got the top grade in the class. Sometimes you'll also hear it referred to as "booking" the class.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Bumi wrote:Is WashU open on Monday despite the holiday? Are the offices open? I'd love to visit that day, but it's one of those weird holidays that are only real to about half the people.

We're open.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Bumi wrote:Is WashU open on Monday despite the holiday? Are the offices open? I'd love to visit that day, but it's one of those weird holidays that are only real to about half the people.

We're open.

See you then.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:What does it mean to Cali a class?

You would have been in my con law class too, I think. With La Pierre? Did you end up going to watch the 8th Circuit oral arguments? Both cases were really interesting.

And a CALI means you got the top grade in the class. Sometimes you'll also hear it referred to as "booking" the class.

The woman who gave us the tour never mentioned the name of the prof. It was room 300 something in the farthest SW corner of the floor. We got there, opened the door, and no one was there. A student nearby said the prof had told everyone to watch the appellate proceedings. Unfortunately, by the time we got there, it had started and we would have had to wait for a break.

On the plus side, we were able to meet with Ms. Clifford, who was very helpful and gracious. Visiting must have given me some good vibes... accepted the next day!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:57 pm

0LNewbie wrote:The woman who gave us the tour never mentioned the name of the prof. It was room 300 something in the farthest SW corner of the floor. We got there, opened the door, and no one was there. A student nearby said the prof had told everyone to watch the appellate proceedings. Unfortunately, by the time we got there, it had started and we would have had to wait for a break.

On the plus side, we were able to meet with Ms. Clifford, who was very helpful and gracious. Visiting must have given me some good vibes... accepted the next day!

Mary Ann Clifford is very nice. And yeah you missed out, you would have been in my con law class. La Pierre is pretty interesting.

Glad you liked WUSTL and congrats on the acceptance.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:01 pm

What I most appreciated is that we had a candid conversation about how WUSTL isn't necessarily the best decision if you have to pay sticker (I might not end up with a huge scholly offer), and she was very forthright about the risk in that. The honesty was nice.

I'm trying very hard to figure out what the number needs to be in order to justify going.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 pm

i perused the last few pages and haven't seen this asked:

what's the approximate class size and section size (if different)?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 pm

fatduck wrote:i perused the last few pages and haven't seen this asked:

I was told they're aiming for 250 this year. I believe that is than parsed down to 5 sections.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 pm

0LNewbie wrote:

I was told they're aiming for 250 this year. I believe that is than parsed down to 5 sections.

sorry i meant class size as in classroom size (as i know some schools combine sections for classes)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 pm

During your 1L year, you'll be split into 6 sections of approximately 45 students each (A, B, C, D, E, F). You are then paired with another section to form a "super-section" of about 90-100 students. Your "super-section" has the same 3 core professors, but you don't always have class with them. For example, my section has criminal law and civ pro with our other section, and we have con law separately back to back, although we have the same prof. You may also have a couple of LLM students (who obviously aren't in your section) sprinkled in individual classes.

Your section will be split down even further into a number (A1, A2, B3, B4, etc.) for your legal practice and legal research professor. Your section will have the same professor, you will just have it at different times.

So in summary:
Legal Practice/Research: 20-25 students
One core class: ~45 students
Two core classes: 90-100 students

I'll also echo what 0Lnewbie said... I've heard through the grapevine that we may have a smaller class this year. My class is huge, so I definitely endorse this move.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Sorry if this has been covered...is your LRW class graded?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Hannibal wrote:Sorry if this has been covered...is your LRW class graded?

Yes, it is 2 credits per semester (other core classes are 4). And legal research is also graded, but it is one credit for the whole year, so it doesn't affect your grade much.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Did you find it as annoying as people seem to think it is?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Hannibal wrote:Did you find it as annoying as people seem to think it is?

I don't particularly care one way or the other, although my grades would be a lot higher if it was ungraded. I would probably slack a lot more if it was ungraded, so I see the rationale.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 am

Sorry to ask a novel question, but what about grading? Would you mind clueing-in us 0Ls on WUSTL's system?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am

Verity wrote:Sorry to ask a novel question, but what about grading? Would you mind clueing-in us 0Ls on WUSTL's system?

I talked a little bit about grading on the last page, but it is basically a numbers system rather than a letters system. Professors must make their class mean somewhere in the 86.5-87.5 range (although most are nice and make it 87.5). There is no forced curve or anything like that, and some professors give out high grades (one prof gave 4 100s this past semester :evil: ) while other profs make their curves tighter, with a class high of like 95 or 96.

The top 1/3 is usually somewhere in the 89 range, top 25% is usually just over 90, top 20% is about a 91, etc. Top 1% this year was like a 97.2 or something absurd, which is just mind-numbing to think about. Personally, I prefer the number system to the grade system (for reasons I mentioned before).

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Verity wrote:Sorry to ask a novel question, but what about grading? Would you mind clueing-in us 0Ls on WUSTL's system?

I talked a little bit about grading on the last page, but it is basically a numbers system rather than a letters system. Professors must make their class mean somewhere in the 86.5-87.5 range (although most are nice and make it 87.5). There is no forced curve or anything like that, and some professors give out high grades (one prof gave 4 100s this past semester :evil: ) while other profs make their curves tighter, with a class high of like 95 or 96.

The top 1/3 is usually somewhere in the 89 range, top 25% is usually just over 90, top 20% is about a 91, etc. Top 1% this year was like a 97.2 or something absurd, which is just mind-numbing to think about. Personally, I prefer the number system to the grade system (for reasons I mentioned before).

Do they disclose ranks after each semester? Also, what do you think professors at WUSTL require to award a top grade? I've heard all kinds of opinions about professors differing widely, even "insanely," as far as grading methods go.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Verity wrote:Do they disclose ranks after each semester? Also, what do you think professors at WUSTL require to award a top grade? I've heard all kinds of opinions about professors differing widely, even "insanely," as far as grading methods go.

They rank the top 5% and they give cutoffs through the top 1/3, so if you're in the top 1/3 you know roughly where you are.

As far as what it takes the to get the top grade, I wouldn't really know since I've never gotten one (it helps to be in a class where the prof gives out four 100s). I got really close to booking Property and I really dunno how mine differed from the best grade. Once you get above a certain point (probably top 1/3 or so), it just comes down to professor's preferences and idiosyncrasies. Your goal should be to figure out what the prof likes, and then try to mimic that. And just go in to your exams guns a-blazing and spot as many issues as possible (don't think too much, just write), and let God sort out the bodies later.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Side note, I came by randomly on Wednesday and didn't get to sit in on 10:00 conlaw because of the appellate stuff going on. Shame :-( the building was great, though.

You would have been in my con law class too, I think. With La Pierre?

Assuming you also have him at 10:00am on Mondays, I was in that class today. He is an interesting guy.

I loved the school, and was really impressed with the people.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”