WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:So the only time I can visit the campus is during March 12-17. The academic calendar says this is spring break. Will there still be people there to give tours, or is it just shut down for the week? Do you think there will be students wandering around? I was hoping to make it to an ASD so I could at least meet a few people, but I had originally thought Michigan's ASW was more important to attend, so I got that specific week off.

Also, another question. How is the area around the St. Louis Galleria? Is it pretty safe? My wife would be transferring to around there, and I would like to live close to her work.

This thread is amazing by the way. I've read through all 54 pages of it within the last few days.
Campus should be open. Students wont be around, but I am sure you could get a tour if you want one. If you come later in the week you might even get a tour from me haha.

That's a fine area. An even better location for you would be Clayton. It is like a mile from campus, like a mile from Brentwood (where the Galleria is), and its really nice. One of the nicest spots in the entire St. Louis metro area.

6thbackstreetboy

Bronze

Post by 6thbackstreetboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks guys! Clayton seems perfect for us. We'd rather pay quite a bit more just to be in a nice apartment in a nice area.

One other question. This is kind of random, but are there any clubs or venues around that play house music? I'm really only going to law school to finance my career as a dj (not really), and it would be nice to go to some clubs when there are good djs in town. I'm not planning on djing while I'm in law school, though I really think someone should put on an event called LAW-RAVEview…

6thbackstreetboy

Bronze

Post by 6thbackstreetboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:
6thbackstreetboy wrote:So the only time I can visit the campus is during March 12-17. The academic calendar says this is spring break. Will there still be people there to give tours, or is it just shut down for the week? Do you think there will be students wandering around? I was hoping to make it to an ASD so I could at least meet a few people, but I had originally thought Michigan's ASW was more important to attend, so I got that specific week off.

Also, another question. How is the area around the St. Louis Galleria? Is it pretty safe? My wife would be transferring to around there, and I would like to live close to her work.

This thread is amazing by the way. I've read through all 54 pages of it within the last few days.
Campus should be open. Students wont be around, but I am sure you could get a tour if you want one. If you come later in the week you might even get a tour from me haha.

That's a fine area. An even better location for you would be Clayton. It is like a mile from campus, like a mile from Brentwood (where the Galleria is), and its really nice. One of the nicest spots in the entire St. Louis metro area.
That would be sweet if I randomly end up getting a tour from the only other Romo fan on earth. Unless your username is sarcastic, in which case I guess I'm still the only one.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:53 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:Thanks guys! Clayton seems perfect for us. We'd rather pay quite a bit more just to be in a nice apartment in a nice area.

One other question. This is kind of random, but are there any clubs or venues around that play house music? I'm really only going to law school to finance my career as a dj (not really), and it would be nice to go to some clubs when there are good djs in town. I'm not planning on djing while I'm in law school, though I really think someone should put on an event called LAW-RAVEview…
Clubs aren't really my scene, but there are some down around the Wash Ave. area downtown that you might enjoy. Mandarin in CWE is a smaller place that has a bit of a "clubby" feel, but people go there more for the rooftop bar. No Law Raveview yet, but we do have Bar Review.

And yes, big Romo fan here.

Nestico87

New

Post by Nestico87 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Any estimate on what an applicant's stats need to be in order to have a decent shot at WUSTL's Webster Society Scholarship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:06 pm

The St Louis club that gets the DJs is Europe. The [few] other clubs here can occasionally be okay depending on the night. Mandarin is more like a bad imitation of a Vegas lounge.

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 pm

The insight of this thread makes me pray I get accepted with some $ so I can be around intelligent human beings.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 am

I'm a 0L looking at applying for 2013 fall from Perryville area, so for you STL people ties-ish but not really ties.. I grew up with STL being the city I went to and the city where I want to end up. So I guess that = Bryan Cave I'm a splitter with a ~3.0 and a 170+. Would I better off with a t14 @ sticker or Wash U with whatever scholly they would give me.

Xvimic

New

Post by Xvimic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 am

Dr. Filth wrote:I'm a 0L looking at applying for 2013 fall from Perryville area, so for you STL people ties-ish but not really ties.. I grew up with STL being the city I went to and the city where I want to end up. So I guess that = Bryan Cave I'm a splitter with a ~3.0 and a 170+. Would I better off with a t14 @ sticker or Wash U with whatever scholly they would give me.
I'm a 0L too, so I don't have the perspective others have. That said, I've heard scary stories even from dudes at T14s. I'd keep my debt as low as it could possibly be in this economy. Course, I'm not particularly attracted to the big-law lifestyle so take my comments for what they are worth, not much. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:I'm a 0L looking at applying for 2013 fall from Perryville area, so for you STL people ties-ish but not really ties.. I grew up with STL being the city I went to and the city where I want to end up. So I guess that = Bryan Cave I'm a splitter with a ~3.0 and a 170+. Would I better off with a t14 @ sticker or Wash U with whatever scholly they would give me.
It doesn't necessarily equal Bryan Cave. The legal community here isn't large, but there are a number of firms in the city.

If you really want to end up here, I'd take St. Louis. Are you likely to land biglaw? No. But you will likely find something here in the city. You'll should be able to get a full ride or close to it with a 170+, which removes some of the need for biglaw. Your debts will be very manageable. For people with ties and a genuine interest in the area, it is a really good choice.

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:25 am

Second everything Romo said. Mostly just posting to appreciate the Dylan reference in your name. Oh and also to call you out on that blatant "playing for a point" display at Anfield.

/Liverpool fan sick of home draws

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:42 am

6thbackstreetboy wrote:Thanks guys! Clayton seems perfect for us. We'd rather pay quite a bit more just to be in a nice apartment in a nice area.

http://2720cherokee.com/

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:35 am

crit_racer wrote:

lol, this place has dubstep shows but it's like a grimy basement with old couches, reminds me of an all-ages community center venue that's fallen on hard times

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:54 am

ah thats too bad. I remember when I was looking at WUSTL I stumbled across their website and it seemed pretty OK.

butchcassidy

Bronze

Post by butchcassidy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Anyone know how competitive/worthwhile the transnational law program is? I know this is probably an overly broad question, but the information from the school's website is pretty vague so any insights you guys might have would be appreciated.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Nvm, found it.

stolli

New

Post by stolli » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 pm

seatown12 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:

lol, this place has dubstep shows but it's like a grimy basement with old couches, reminds me of an all-ages community center venue that's fallen on hard times
i love 2720 and I'm there about every weekend. its def a little grimy, but its not a club, its an art space. they have art galleries upstairs, and there sound system is kickin compared to most other places. They are mostly bass music however, as well as some blugrass, jam, and reggae.

If you produce, Id love to collaborate when you move out to STL. i do mostly bass stuff, but I'm also into minimal, tech and tribal house as well as psytrance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 pm

butchcassidy wrote:Anyone know how competitive/worthwhile the transnational law program is? I know this is probably an overly broad question, but the information from the school's website is pretty vague so any insights you guys might have would be appreciated.
I am highly skeptical of "specialty programs," particularly international ones. Unless you bring something tangibly impressive to the table for international work, its toughto get.

stolli

New

Post by stolli » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
butchcassidy wrote:Anyone know how competitive/worthwhile the transnational law program is? I know this is probably an overly broad question, but the information from the school's website is pretty vague so any insights you guys might have would be appreciated.
I am highly skeptical of "specialty programs," particularly international ones. Unless you bring something tangibly impressive to the table for international work, its toughto get.
Since iv been at Wash U i havnt heard a single thing about this program...makes me think its not particularly sought after, but i could be completely wrong

LuckySpurs

New

Post by LuckySpurs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:41 pm

What is the major cable company in town? How much does internet/cable run you each month? Trying to put together a budget.

thanks!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 pm

LuckySpurs wrote:What is the major cable company in town? How much does internet/cable run you each month? Trying to put together a budget.

thanks!
AT&T Uverse and Charter. I pay around $100 a month for cable and internet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

I think $100 is a good estimate although I pay a little less. I would advise you to avoid Charter if possible; it's the worst cable company I've ever dealt with, and none of those companies are good.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 pm

So any bets on how many spots we will drop in the rankings this year, as per the Dean's statement?

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:07 pm

bouakedojo wrote:So any bets on how many spots we will drop in the rankings this year, as per the Dean's statement?
?

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:So any bets on how many spots we will drop in the rankings this year, as per the Dean's statement?
?
Because of the new ABA reporting standards, we may drop slightly in the rankings. I would imagine it would be a slight drop and nothing to worry about. Our dean shared with us that hiring is up for the school, but because of the new reporting guidelines, we may go down a bit. We're still a great school and any drop wouldn't change that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”