WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stratocophic

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby stratocophic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Chem-related stuff is pretty good for STL. A bio PhD would be better, but you'll have a better chance than a MechE or maybe even a CompSci. q6m is right about the lack of patent work in town though, there isn't much. Ordinarily you'd probably be ok for getting a good job due to your background, but if you're constrained like that and the job has to be in STL... it's tougher. Networking would pretty much be vital for you in that situation, i.e. meeting every local IP attorney you can. Buying a house in the area might help with convincing firms that you're serious about sticking around as well, given your fiancee's fairly long-term presence in town. Best of luck.

Yeah, but poly sci/philosophy is where the jerbs are at.
That faint tapping you're all currently hearing is the sound of 10,000 PoliSci 0Ls furiously typing that sentence into TLS' search box in hopes of confirming its veracity. Sadly, the results page returns nothing but the word "Lulz"

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 am

stratocophic wrote:Yeah, but poly sci/philosophy is where the jerbs are at.
That faint tapping you're all currently hearing is the sound of 10,000 PoliSci 0Ls furiously typing that sentence into TLS' search box in hopes of confirming its veracity. Sadly, the results page returns nothing but the word "Lulz"[/quote]
HEY WATCH YOUR MOUTH

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi WUSTL-ers. Quick question about scholarship negotiations since they sent out the first batch of awards today. Did any of you negotiate with WUSTL, and if so, any advice on how to do it with them, and when to start? I've read the TLS guide/thread about negotiating in general, just wondering what the feeling about it is at Wash U specifically. I've got a UIUC acceptance/offer to leverage so far, but I'm probably going to try talking with them so I can get the total costs around even, or in UIUC's favor before talking to WUSTL. Thoughts on how effective that might be?

Xvimic

Postby Xvimic » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Just got offered a full ride here and I will probably be taking it as I have family in the midwest and plan on practicing there. By all reports it seems to be a solid school for what I want out of law school. However I hear St. Louis can get pretty gnarly so I'm a little concerned: St. Louis ranked #1 most dangerous city in the U.S.

I know the school itself is in a nice area but how about the surrounding areas? Assuming you weren't originally from St. Louis, were you quickly able to get a lay of the land as far as bad/good neighborhoods?

Thanks and sorry if you have already answered.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 am

Don't go north of Delmar east of Skinker

cab driver told me that before I'd been here 6 hours

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 am

Xvimic wrote:Just got offered a full ride here and I will probably be taking it as I have family in the midwest and plan on practicing there. By all reports it seems to be a solid school for what I want out of law school. However I hear St. Louis can get pretty gnarly so I'm a little concerned: St. Louis ranked #1 most dangerous city in the U.S.

I know the school itself is in a nice area but how about the surrounding areas? Assuming you weren't originally from St. Louis, were you quickly able to get a lay of the land as far as bad/good neighborhoods?

Thanks and sorry if you have already answered.

Do the work and read the thread. This has been well covered.

Short answer: don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:13 am

0LNewbie wrote:Do the work and read the thread. This has been well covered.

no, just:
seatown12 wrote:Don't go north of Delmar east of Skinker

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:19 am

Post I wrote last year on housing and neighborhoods.

Most importantly, when you visit, spend more than just a day here. Give yourself a day to go look around at neighborhoods, even if you aren't looking at specific apartments. The school does some stuff in the summer for housing, but I think the earlier you get on it, the better.

The best resource I found for searching for an apartment was padmapper.com. As far as neighborhoods go, here is a map to help you follow along with what I'm saying:

(This map comes from Wash U's 1L student blog, which I highly encourage you all to read.)

I live in Skinker-DeBaliviere and I love it. It is close enough to school that I can occasionally walk, and it is right by a Metro station so I can get around fairly easily if I don't want to drive. I have my car here, but I decided not to drive to school this year. I figure I'll save around $1,000 a year by not spending money on a parking pass, gas, and maintenance on my vehicle. I also like the neighborhood because I am close enough to the Loop to go out and eat/drink quite easily, but I'm not right in the thick of things.

A decent number of people also live in the U-City Loop. The map is actually a little off with its location for the Loop... the Loop is directly north of campus on Delmar. Delmar can be sketchy in some areas (I don't think I've ever been to the Skinker-Delmar Shell station without being asked for money), and north of Delmar is kinda rough, but there are some pretty good, cheap places along the Loop. The Loop is a fun area with places to eat and drink.

Another area you might wanna try if you want to be close to campus is just west of campus. There are some great houses and small apartments and it is a very safe, older residential area. I know a few people who live there and walk, and it works out well because the law building is on the northwest corner of campus. Finally, if you want to be close to campus, Skinker (just west of the park) is a good area to look in. It may be a little far to walk since AB Hall is on the complete other side of campus, but it is a great area.

If you are willing to be a little farther from campus, many (maybe most) law and grad students live in Central West End. This is a really nice area with some great apartments, and good places to eat and drink. It way too far to walk, so you'd either have to take the Metro or drive to school (although a few weeks ago one of my buddies walked 2.8 miles in the snow from his apartment to mine... sooo yeah). CWE is where the majority of my extracurricular activities (see: drinking cold, refreshing beer) takes place.

Finally, Clayton (just west of WUSTL) is a wonderful town and it is only a 5-10 minute drive to campus. There is a lot of commerce in downtown Clayton, and there are plenty of bars and restaurants. I think you are probably going to be looking at a higher price in Clayton than in most places, though.

For those of you coming in from NYC/DC/LA etc., you are going to be absolutely blown away by the low COL. I pay $500 a month ($1,000 total, since I have a roommate) for a fully-furnished, really nice apartment with new furniture, appliances, and a washer/dryer unit in the apartment. The most I've heard of anyone spending is $1,000 a month, but they have a really swanky place in CWE. You can easily keep your rent in the 500-600 range if you take on a roommate (which I actually recommend, though there are different schools of thought on this), and if you're paying over 750 a month, you're in the expensive range.

The only thing I'd add to this is that I no longer live in Skinker-DeBaliviere, in part because I lost my roommate and in part because it got a little rough. I loved my apartment and the area was nice, but a few bad apples off of Delmar kind of ruined the spot for me. It was really close to the Loop though, which was cool. Now I live north of Delmar but west of the Loop. A really, really cool neighborhood, very quiet with a lot of old homes and apartments. You can't really see it on the map. People say don't go north of Delmar, which is usually credited, but if you are west of the loop (like past Big Bend basically) then it is a really nice neighborhood.

Oh, and since we are making reference to the Delmar Loop, I'll reiterate that the map is wrong. The Loop is quite a bit further west than indicated on this map. It is basically from like Skinker to a little bit east of Big Bend. Probably important to point out so that you actually have an idea of what we're referencing.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Anyone in here had Law for conlaw? He HATES Chemerinsky. I feel pretty good about things we go over in class, and always think I know what he wants to hear, but I'd kind of like a supplement. Any horror stories about using Chemerinsky and it hurting you in his class?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:37 am

It won't hurt you but also make sure you track all his opinions and idiosyncrasies and mirror them on the final.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 am

seatown12 wrote:It won't hurt you but also make sure you track all his opinions and idiosyncrasies and mirror them on the final.

So revel in pointing out inconsistencies in rulings and generally approach all decisions in the most cynical way possible while leaning slightly left and favorably comparing other nations' constitutions to our own? If I throw in that he got his PhD at Stanford, I think I might have it locked down.

Xvimic

Postby Xvimic » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:51 am

Thanks for reposting that Romo,

I should have looked through the thread a little more thoroughly before I asked, In any event I appreciate the repost of that map, that is handy.

In my research it seems like there are a number of pretty nice and relatively cheap areas to rent nearby and to the SW of the college (Kirkwood/Webster Grove/Clayton) and I'm getting pretty excited to fly out to St louis and see the area for myself. I was born in IL. but raised and went to undergrad in Hawaii so the culture shock is going to be pretty extreme for me but I'm looking forward to living on the "mainland" again and attending Wash U.

This thread is an awesome resource by the way, I can't find anywhere else to get the type of idiosyncratic information about WUSTL that is encompassed in this thread.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Kabuo wrote:
seatown12 wrote:It won't hurt you but also make sure you track all his opinions and idiosyncrasies and mirror them on the final.

So revel in pointing out inconsistencies in rulings and generally approach all decisions in the most cynical way possible while leaning slightly left and favorably comparing other nations' constitutions to our own? If I throw in that he got his PhD at Stanford, I think I might have it locked down.

I have heard mixed things about Professor Law and I don't plan on ever taking him, but I do know a guy who basically used this strategy (used Chermerinsky + kept up with Law's opinions in class) and rocked the shit out of his final a few years ago.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:I have heard mixed things about Professor Law and I don't plan on ever taking him, but I do know a guy who basically used this strategy (used Chermerinsky + kept up with Law's opinions in class) and rocked the shit out of his final a few years ago.

That's great to hear. It seemed like it should work since he hates him so much and calls him an irresponsible scholar who dumbs down the law for law students. Made it sound like a good way to learn the law as long as you remember to write down how Law thinks about the law.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Kabuo wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I have heard mixed things about Professor Law and I don't plan on ever taking him, but I do know a guy who basically used this strategy (used Chermerinsky + kept up with Law's opinions in class) and rocked the shit out of his final a few years ago.

That's great to hear. It seemed like it should work since he hates him so much and calls him an irresponsible scholar who dumbs down the law for law students. Made it sound like a good way to learn the law as long as you remember to write down how Law thinks about the law.

La Pierre more or less echos Cherminsky in class (without actually referring to his book in class), so does that make La Pierre an irresponsible teacher who dumbs down the law for students? :lol:

When I said I have heard "mixed things," what I should have said is that I've heard all negative opinions with the exception of his RA. Again, never had him personally and I have had like no interactions with him at all, but enough folks have told me to steer clear that I plan to do so.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:36 pm

He rubs me the wrong way sometimes, but I'm amazingly enjoying the class against all expectations. He's horribly conceited, and a total jerk to LLMs, but I'm liking the cases we read and his commentary, even if it's totally predictable after 3 weeks or w/e it's been.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Kabuo wrote:... He's horribly conceited, and a total jerk to LLMs...

lol ya the way he treats foreigners of Asian descent hints at a deep self-loathing that might explain the rest of his personality

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:41 pm

[]
Last edited by quadsixm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xvimic

Postby Xvimic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 am

quadsixm wrote:I have a similar background. Although there is definitely going to be some culture shock when moving (back, in your case) to the midwest, it's a pretty smooth transition. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any more specific questions.

Thanks I appreciate that, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to readjust I lived back in Chicago for a few years in my teens. I'm actually looking forward to the colder weather to be honest.

By the way, are exams at WUSTL electronic (I.E. taken on computers) or done old fashion style with pens and paper?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:12 am

Xvimic wrote:
quadsixm wrote:I have a similar background. Although there is definitely going to be some culture shock when moving (back, in your case) to the midwest, it's a pretty smooth transition. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any more specific questions.

Thanks I appreciate that, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to readjust I lived back in Chicago for a few years in my teens. I'm actually looking forward to the colder weather to be honest.

By the way, are exams at WUSTL electronic (I.E. taken on computers) or done old fashion style with pens and paper?

Laptops are allowed, and nearly everyone does it that way.

Xvimic

Postby Xvimic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 am

0LNewbie wrote:

Awesome, I can type about 3 times as quickly/efficiently as hand write. I suspect that is probably true with most people these days.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:27 am

Xvimic wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:

Awesome, I can type about 3 times as quickly/efficiently as hand write. I suspect that is probably true with most people these days.

If not more.

6thbackstreetboy

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:24 pm

So the only time I can visit the campus is during March 12-17. The academic calendar says this is spring break. Will there still be people there to give tours, or is it just shut down for the week? Do you think there will be students wandering around? I was hoping to make it to an ASD so I could at least meet a few people, but I had originally thought Michigan's ASW was more important to attend, so I got that specific week off.

Also, another question. How is the area around the St. Louis Galleria? Is it pretty safe? My wife would be transferring to around there, and I would like to live close to her work.

This thread is amazing by the way. I've read through all 54 pages of it within the last few days.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:58 pm

[]
Last edited by quadsixm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:04 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:So the only time I can visit the campus is during March 12-17. The academic calendar says this is spring break. Will there still be people there to give tours, or is it just shut down for the week? Do you think there will be students wandering around? I was hoping to make it to an ASD so I could at least meet a few people, but I had originally thought Michigan's ASW was more important to attend, so I got that specific week off.

Also, another question. How is the area around the St. Louis Galleria? Is it pretty safe? My wife would be transferring to around there, and I would like to live close to her work.

This thread is amazing by the way. I've read through all 54 pages of it within the last few days.

No students will be around during Spring Break, but you can see the school and the area and probably talk to some administrators.

The area around the Galleria is definitely safe, but it's also super suburban and un-walkable. Nobody really lives around there. You should look a little north in Clayton or DeMun, which is still convenient to the Galleria area but a better neighborhood. You can scope this out when you come visit.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”