WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 pm

acadec wrote:Reading the stuff on the ASBB, it sounds like the only way to get on to the law review is to write on after finishing 1L year. Is that true?

Yep. Top 10% grade on, but have to do the write-on and put forth a good faith effort, whatever that means. The rest is grade-on. IIRC, something like 40-45 made law review this semester, and like 6-8- transferred out. I think they took a very small handful of transfers (or at least they usually do), which puts the final somewhere around 40.

The write-on is right after finals. Which sucks in a huge way.

840e
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby 840e » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:09 pm

.
Last edited by 840e on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:55 pm

840e wrote:do any profs get grades posted before 1Ls return to school? I am feeling that the likely answer is no... just wanted to make sure...

Actually yes, most do. Some are faster than others. Greenfield is especially quick.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Oban » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:02 pm

some grades came out during intercession which is the week before class officially begins.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Kabuo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Romo, do you remember approximately how quick Mandelker and Tamanaha were?

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
acadec wrote:Reading the stuff on the ASBB, it sounds like the only way to get on to the law review is to write on after finishing 1L year. Is that true?

Yep. Top 10% grade on, but have to do the write-on and put forth a good faith effort, whatever that means. The rest is grade-on. IIRC, something like 40-45 made law review this semester, and like 6-8- transferred out. I think they took a very small handful of transfers (or at least they usually do), which puts the final somewhere around 40.

The write-on is right after finals. Which sucks in a huge way.


damn that is a lot of people. is that top 1/4 or something?

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Kabuo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:01 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
damn that is a lot of people. is that top 1/4 or something?


More like top ~15%.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Oban » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Nearly everyone who wants to be (read: finishes the write on) will get on a journal. However in hindsight, I would not recommend it unless you make LR.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Kabuo wrote:Romo, do you remember approximately how quick Mandelker and Tamanaha were?

Also, dumb question but do we get an email when they are posted or are we supposed to check on webstac or something?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:25 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Romo, do you remember approximately how quick Mandelker and Tamanaha were?

Also, dumb question but do we get an email when they are posted or are we supposed to check on webstac or something?

You check Webstac. IIRC, fast professors included Greenfield and Mandelker. De Geest and Norwood were sorta intermediate length. Tamanaha and Drobak were longer I think. Tamanaha has his book coming out soon so he might be swamped right now.

I think prods have like a four week maximum turnaround time or something if they only teach one class. Check out the handbook.

User avatar
acadec
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby acadec » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Where would you say is the best place for a 1L to live?

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Oban » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Wherever you will be happy and confortable. Happiness is the key to surviving law school.

STLMizzou
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby STLMizzou » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:19 am

I think he/she was looking for an area. Do most the law students live in the CWE? Is there a general area you would suggest living that is a good mix of young professionals (like Soulard, but with less 24/7 noise)?

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Kabuo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:01 pm

STLMizzou wrote:I think he/she was looking for an area. Do most the law students live in the CWE? Is there a general area you would suggest living that is a good mix of young professionals (like Soulard, but with less 24/7 noise)?


I live in the CWE and like it. Noise is fine except for every once in awhile when the hospital helicopters someone in at 4. Only other caution is that I wouldn't want to live here without a car. Nearest metro stop for me is almost a mile away. A lot of people live in the loop and walk, and some in Clayton. They all seem like pretty cool places. Still haven't been to Soulard because I missed the bar review there :( .

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby stratocophic » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:12 pm

CWE if you're going to party early in the semester, as you should, the Loop if you're mostly interested in school and living close to school. Loop's cheap and easy, CWE's more fun. This is coming from someone in his second year in the Loop who likes walking to school but is sick of having to metro or drive and hunt for parking every time anything's going down.

840e
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby 840e » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:49 pm

.
Last edited by 840e on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:56 pm

840e wrote:1Ls: mandelker grades are up..


Cool. Now to search for a grade breakdown to figure out what my number means.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Kabuo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:32 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
840e wrote:1Ls: mandelker grades are up..


Cool. Now to search for a grade breakdown to figure out what my number means.


This is the actual grade, right? Like, 87.5 is mean/median or something, and above or below that is above or below median, yes?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Kabuo wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
840e wrote:1Ls: mandelker grades are up..


Cool. Now to search for a grade breakdown to figure out what my number means.


This is the actual grade, right? Like, 87.5 is mean/median or something, and above or below that is above or below median, yes?

Yeah, that's correct. In a few days they will put up the grade breakdown for the class on the Registrar's page. Mandelker has a pretty tight curve, IIRC. Only went up to 96 last semester, and most people hugged the median. I think he is just old and lazy and plugs them into some system, which spits out a pretty tight curve. At least that is the word on the street.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Here's the GPA breakdown for the last year if anyone is interested.

http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/pages.aspx?id=8508

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Kabuo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Can anyone pm me the pw for logging onto career services? I'm trying every variation of my mylaw account and pw, and it isn't working. Trying to get into the resume/cover letter link.

*Edited for damn, that's a lame 1000th post. :x

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:17 pm

The trick is that the email address they made you use is your @go.wustl.edu version. Dont forget the go.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Kabuo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:34 pm

0LNewbie wrote:The trick is that the email address they made you use is your @go.wustl.edu version. Dont forget the go.


Thanks, I'll try that later. Bummed some samples from Harvard for today.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Any 2Ls or 3Ls with grades?

luckyduck
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby luckyduck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Keating's grades are up. Both commercial and Ucc art 2




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anrf1225, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests