WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
romothesavior

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Can any of the 2L/3Ls comment on the "town hall" meetings with the dean re: jobs? Class of 2014 is tomorrow, and I'm sort of curious if the message will be the same as whatever he said to ya'll.

Didn't go. Would be interested in hearing other people's thoughts. Generally, Dean Syverud is a straight shooter and a pretty good guy, so I hope he was no-BS.

0LNewbie wrote:As long as I'm lighting up this thread with trivialities, can any of the 2L/3Ls speak to the utility of the "Alumni Student Summit" that's going down this weekend? Or maybe, explain what it is?

I am considering going for a bit. It is a good way to start meeting some attorneys. I met a few there that I had coffee with a few weeks later, so I think it was somewhat helpful. I didn't find have any "breakthroughs" with the alumni, but it was a good way to practice networking as a 1L. Hopefully by this time next semester you'll be decent at it. I know "network!" is overused and you can't network your way into a job that doesn't exist, but it is a very valuable tool, both for job hunting and for lawyers in general. I would go.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Can any of the 2L/3Ls comment on the "town hall" meetings with the dean re: jobs? Class of 2014 is tomorrow, and I'm sort of curious if the message will be the same as whatever he said to ya'll.

I heard something about them being taped. Anyone know if this is true?

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for the advice, Romo, I'll hit it up. You seemed to suggest you would be making an appearance... does that mean you don't have to go to the whole thing? I really don't know how stuff like this works.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:

2L: Syverud definitely didn't hold back with the honesty. He acknowledged that the economic recovery w/r/t legal hiring has been remarkably slow to barely existent, and that some of us will graduate unemployed as a result. But most of what he said was aimed at avoiding that result for each individual.

He told those who haven't found work to persevere, keep the CSO informed of employment situations and preferences, and use everyone as a resource (including himself and our instructors) for finding a job. He told those with jobs lined up to continue to nurture relationships, just in case things go south or firms overhire again. He emphasized our school's consistent honesty data reporting, noting that the new ABA employment definitions will make everyone's numbers look worse. He also emphasized the fact that, while being constantly reminded to network gets old, jobs have been trickling in based on random networking connections. The CSO also had a presentation showing that smaller firms haven't really starting hiring yet. That's about what I remember.

Excellent. Thank you.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:56 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Thanks for the advice, Romo, I'll hit it up. You seemed to suggest you would be making an appearance... does that mean you don't have to go to the whole thing? I really don't know how stuff like this works.

Never mind, I now see that you RSVP separately for events in symplicity.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:25 pm

At trivia (which you missed), SBA Prez came over to tell us that the CSO told him to tell us to go to the event. His personal spin seemed to be to at least go to the sushi thing, but maybe not the stuff on Saturday if we don't want to.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 am

Whatever you do, don't take law review, moot court, and a seminar together. I wouldn't even take two of them in combination, but definitely don't be a dumbass like me and take all 3 in one semester. So much writing... FML

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:02 am

romothesavior wrote:Whatever you do, don't take law review, moot court, and a seminar together. I wouldn't even take two of them in combination, but definitely don't be a dumbass like me and take all 3 in one semester. So much writing... FML

Noted :-)

And no more complaining about being on LR :roll:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 am

0LNewbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Whatever you do, don't take law review, moot court, and a seminar together. I wouldn't even take two of them in combination, but definitely don't be a dumbass like me and take all 3 in one semester. So much writing... FML

Noted :-)

And no more complaining about being on LR :roll:

Haha not complaining about being on it, its a great opportunity. It just blows having a LR note draft, LR pull, and a moot court brief all due at the same time. This isn't LR specific, all the journals are a lot of work. First semester 2L year is when most of your note stuff is going on, so I would avoid moot and seminars this semester. I didn't even think about this, and I wish someone had told me how stupid this is!

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:01 pm

I was impressed with the dean's presentation. He was very frank about the present and future state of the job market.

Also, he's hilarious in a nerdy way. I think we would be friends.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Or like me and take 2 of the 3 plus taking a foreign language course. Seminar brief due Saturday. Note draft due Friday. Oral foreign language exam Friday. Plus I just got bitched out by my foreign language TA who is younger than me for not knowing my vocabulary. Yeah right...like I'm going to be sitting around memorizing vocab for an undergrad class I am auditing when I have to find 30 sources on "what is law...really?"

FML.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:38 pm

0LNewbie wrote:As long as I'm lighting up this thread with trivialities, can any of the 2L/3Ls speak to the utility of the "Alumni Student Summit" that's going down this weekend? Or maybe, explain what it is?

I would go. My student organization is setting up a table there, and they're going to have practice-area specific panels.

As a 1L (and probably as a 2L as well), you're not going to run into alumni who say "Hey! I was just thinking about hiring someone like you!" but anytime you get experience speaking to professionals about being a lawyer, you give yourself an upper hand when it comes to interviewing and networking later on down the road.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:01 pm

If anyone has was at the St. Louis market talk this morning and wouldn't mind posting a quick summary of any useful info (if there was any) it'd be appreciated.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:14 pm

soccerfreak wrote:If anyone has was at the St. Louis market talk this morning and wouldn't mind posting a quick summary of any useful info (if there was any) it'd be appreciated.

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:13 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:If anyone has was at the St. Louis market talk this morning and wouldn't mind posting a quick summary of any useful info (if there was any) it'd be appreciated.

Not a whole lot was surprising - one thing they said was to show your commitment to staying in St Louis get involved in local organizations, not necessarily law related but to widen your network of people who know people. And when a local firm sees you are an active part of the community they're less likely to think you're planning on leaving town.
And of course to cast a wide net and don't narrow your search - be open to whatever comes up.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:00 pm

3.37/167/Mexican URM, applying to WUSTL this cycle.

tell me how important it is you think i write a why WUSTL.

(i'm applying there because of its rank and not really any other reason. i could research up on the school and make a semi-convincing why WUSTL, but i'd rather not go through that charade)

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:05 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:3.37/167/Mexican URM, applying to WUSTL this cycle.

(i'm applying there because of its rank and not really any other reason. i could research up on the school and make a semi-convincing why WUSTL, but i'd rather not go through that charade)

I'm interested in this as well (waitlist numbers)

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Where are you from, where do you want to end up, and what is your career goal? USnews rank is not a great reason to apply because Wash U's name recognition and employment prospects have not kept pace with its rank.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:30 pm

seatown12 wrote:

Where are you from, where do you want to end up, and what is your career goal? USnews rank is not a great reason to apply because Wash U's name recognition and employment prospects have not kept pace with its rank.

california, LA, biglaw. willing/interested in transferring to Stanford/Berk (but, of course, i don't expect to be top 5-10% of my class just because i want to be)

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:57 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

california, LA, biglaw. willing/interested in transferring to Stanford/Berk (but, of course, i don't expect to be top 5-10% of my class just because i want to be)

Would not recommend WUSTL in your situation without significant $$ (unless you have other sources of funding). That being said, I don't believe WUSTL's "why X" essay is very important.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:02 pm

quadsixm wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

Would not recommend WUSTL in your situation without significant $$ (unless you have other sources of funding). That being said, I don't believe WUSTL's "why X" essay is very important.

appreciate the input. to put this into perspective, i'm also applying to most of the t14, usc, ucla, vandy and maybe uc davis. i figured i have a decent shot at wustl and i got a fee waiver, so i might as well apply.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:18 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:appreciate the input. to put this into perspective, i'm also applying to most of the t14, usc, ucla, vandy and maybe uc davis. i figured i have a decent shot at wustl and i got a fee waiver, so i might as well apply.

If you're wanting to stay in california, ABSOLUTELY go to USC or UCLA over Wash U if you get in, probably even Davis. Geography matters, don't go halfway across the country for a ranking.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:47 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:appreciate the input. to put this into perspective, i'm also applying to most of the t14, usc, ucla, vandy and maybe uc davis. i figured i have a decent shot at wustl and i got a fee waiver, so i might as well apply.

If you're wanting to stay in california, ABSOLUTELY go to USC or UCLA over Wash U if you get in, probably even Davis. Geography matters, don't go halfway across the country for a ranking.

heh, you're telling me, man. i'd love ucla or usc, but i have a 3.37, so i'm not holding my breath..

edit: sorry for thread hi-jacking, let convo return to WUSTL... (my earlier question is moot, sent in the app with no why WUSTL btw)

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:43 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:

heh, you're telling me, man. i'd love ucla or usc, but i have a 3.37, so i'm not holding my breath..

edit: sorry for thread hi-jacking, let convo return to WUSTL... (my earlier question is moot, sent in the app with no why WUSTL btw)

Not important in the least. The magic number for WUSTL is 168. I wouldn't worry about WL/Reject:

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”