WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fl0w

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:27 pm

stratocophic wrote:The administration just needs to (a) embrace WUSTL and (b) commission Nelly to come up with a solid two minutes of flow that employs rhymes like muscle/tussle/hustle/rustle etc. Applications would go through the roof. They might in fact even need to raise the roof in order to contain them.

'erry day i'm WUSTL'in....
Cause I'm a BOSS!

Oban

Postby Oban » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I remeber during orientation and we watched this lame safety video in which the narator kept saying WUSTL(woos-tell).

I thought it was hilarious but now It's grown on me. I'd rather say woostl than washu. With strangers i just say Washington University.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Oban wrote:I remeber during orientation and we watched this lame safety video in which the narator kept saying WUSTL(woos-tell).

I thought it was hilarious but now It's grown on me. I'd rather say woostl than washu. With strangers i just say Washington University.

I also say WUSTL. With strangers I go with "Washington University [short pause] in St. Louis." Then I usually get an "oh yeah!"

acadec

Postby acadec » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Last edited by acadec on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:56 pm

acadec wrote:Alright, another question--probably not the most appropriate forum for it, but: My numbers are frankly pretty high for WUSTL (GPA at median; LSAT well above 75th), but I would take a massive scholarship (160k+) there over any other offer I receive. I was born in St. Louis and have a lot of family connections to the university (but not the law school), and have pretty average softs. I know they offer 120k a lot, but does anyone have any ideas about how to get more than that?

pretty often for URMs :lol:
But uhh.. just apply and find out?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:42 pm

acadec wrote:Alright, another question--probably not the most appropriate forum for it, but: My numbers are frankly pretty high for WUSTL (GPA at median; LSAT well above 75th), but I would take a massive scholarship (160k+) there over any other offer I receive. I was born in St. Louis and have a lot of family connections to the university (but not the law school), and have pretty average softs. I know they offer 120k a lot, but does anyone have any ideas about how to get more than that?

160k+ ain't gonna happen. That's about 30k more than the cost of tuition.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 am

romothesavior wrote:

160k+ ain't gonna happen. That's about 30k more than the cost of tuition.

LOL that would be a sweet deal if law schools started doing that.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:26 am

im not sure that it is as much as 160, but i do know that there are people that are on scholly + stipend at wustl for CRUSHING the LSAT.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:28 am

fl0w wrote:im not sure that it is as much as 160, but i do know that there are people that are on scholly + stipend at wustl for CRUSHING the LSAT.

Sure, some people have more than 120 (I think I've heard 135 a few times), but WUSTL's general policy is not to exceed tuition. Maybe they did it for a few insanely awesome people, but it isn't all that common.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:53 am

romothesavior wrote:
fl0w wrote:im not sure that it is as much as 160, but i do know that there are people that are on scholly + stipend at wustl for CRUSHING the LSAT.

Sure, some people have more than 120 (I think I've heard 135 a few times), but WUSTL's general policy is not to exceed tuition. Maybe they did it for a few insanely awesome people, but it isn't all that common.

What does this mean? WUSTL fin aid always has seemed pretty formulaic to me. I know I'm just a splitter, but I've talked to a lot of my kind and never seen anything to indicate that they value, say, a 178 over a 168.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:54 am

Kabuo wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

What does this mean? WUSTL fin aid always has seemed pretty formulaic to me. I know I'm just a splitter, but I've talked to a lot of my kind and never seen anything to indicate that they value, say, a 178 over a 168.

They do. If you hit a 178 and had stacked GPA too, you'd be in stipend land.
But if you're not in that land, no need to worry!

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Any 2L/3Ls who did reasonably well and would be willing to let me look over one of their outlines for a day or so? I kind of just want to get a general idea of what my outline should look like, as I'm a pretty terrible student and have never taken notes/outlined. PM me if you're willing. I'll trade you a drink for it or something.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Any 2L/3Ls who did reasonably well and would be willing to let me look over one of their outlines for a day or so? I kind of just want to get a general idea of what my outline should look like, as I'm a pretty terrible student and have never taken notes/outlined. PM me if you're willing. I'll trade you a drink for it or something.

There's a database of old outlines on the Student Commons website. Many of these should provide great examples, and you'll be able to tell as you read through them which are better than others.

This is very helpful, thanks.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Any 2L/3Ls who did reasonably well and would be willing to let me look over one of their outlines for a day or so? I kind of just want to get a general idea of what my outline should look like, as I'm a pretty terrible student and have never taken notes/outlined. PM me if you're willing. I'll trade you a drink for it or something.

There's a database of old outlines on the Student Commons website. Many of these should provide great examples, and you'll be able to tell as you read through them which are better than others.

This is very helpful, thanks.
Don't take them for examples of what you HAVE to have though. My outlines were all around 15 pages both semesters, and I did very very well one semester, very very... mediocre the other. It's about how much work you put in doing the things that make you good at exams and your own natural ability.

stolli

Postby stolli » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:00 am

fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
acadec wrote:How would you refer to WUSTL in an admissions essay if you didn't want to repeat "Washington University School of Law" over and over? Is "Wash U Law" ever used?

Wash U is probably fine. That's how we usually refer to the school.

Let me add my pespective as someone who went there for undergrad and is familiar with school policy on this.

They actually HATE being referred to as Wash U. There is a real effort to get away from it.

Washington U. is preferred over that.
Almost anything that doesn't abbreviate to "Wash" is acceptable.

from every single person i have talked to who went here as UG this is 100% untrue. everybody revers to it as Wash U and in fact i saw sweatshirts sold by the school that say Wash U. on them. So...

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:39 am

stolli wrote:
fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
acadec wrote:How would you refer to WUSTL in an admissions essay if you didn't want to repeat "Washington University School of Law" over and over? Is "Wash U Law" ever used?

Let me add my pespective as someone who went there for undergrad and is familiar with school policy on this.

They actually HATE being referred to as Wash U. There is a real effort to get away from it.

from every single person i have talked to who went here as UG this is 100% untrue. everybody revers to it as Wash U and in fact i saw sweatshirts sold by the school that say Wash U. on them. So...

I can corroborate what stolli says, but I've also noticed that when the profs/speakers talk to us they will often correct themselves from "Wash U" to "Washington University."

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 am

Yeah it's like saying I go to slu or mizzou and then correcting in more formal/serious situations.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 am

stolli wrote:
fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Regardless of how people actually refer to it on campus, I was relating what the administration prefers. Sorry, but I'm actually right on this. How everyone refers to it and what the university prefers are two different things.

Personally I never call it Wash U outside of St Louis because people have no idea what that means. And I wouldn't call it Wash U to the school because they don't like that abbreviation. But yes tons of people on campus and in StL call it Wash U colloquially.

But an admissions essay (at least when I wrote mine) is not colloquial.

stolli

Postby stolli » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:51 pm

from every single person i have talked to who went here as UG this is 100% untrue. everybody revers to it as Wash U and in fact i saw sweatshirts sold by the school that say Wash U. on them. So...[/quote]

Regardless of how people actually refer to it on campus, I was relating what the administration prefers. Sorry, but I'm actually right on this. How everyone refers to it and what the university prefers are two different things.

Personally I never call it Wash U outside of St Louis because people have no idea what that means. And I wouldn't call it Wash U to the school because they don't like that abbreviation. But yes tons of people on campus and in StL call it Wash U colloquially.

But an admissions essay (at least when I wrote mine) is not colloquial.[/quote]

oh sorry - i misunderstood what you where saying.....

also, interestingly enough, being from california i HAD heard of "wash U" and actually didnt know it refered to WUSTL

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:41 pm

I'm fairly confident that 75% of our class is on TLS. I have heard like 10 different people reference it in the five days I've been here for orientation.

There must be a lot of lurkers, though, because it doesn't seem like there are a lot of students in the C/O 2014 posting.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:49 pm

a lot of people lurk.
The best is when you meet someone for the first time and w/in 3 minutes of the conversation starting they call you by your TLS handle. This is what happened to me the day before the first day of orientation for my 1L.

Anonymity fail.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:52 pm

fl0w wrote:a lot of people lurk.
The best is when you meet someone for the first time and w/in 3 minutes of the conversation starting they call you by your TLS handle. This is what happened to me the day before the first day of orientation for my 1L.

Anonymity fail.

lol. I only have been able to identify 2 people, but that was because it was obvious; I am not proactively searching.

I'm pretty sure I'm secure in terms of anonymity, although I've outed myself to a couple of people who've asked.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:11 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
fl0w wrote:a lot of people lurk.

Anonymity fail.

lol. I only have been able to identify 2 people, but that was because it was obvious; I am not proactively searching.

I'm pretty sure I'm secure in terms of anonymity, although I've outed myself to a couple of people who've asked.

I'm apparently one of the obvious IDs. And @ fl0w, I wasn't trying to suggest you were wrong about how the institution feels. Was kind of just trying to corroborate what stolli was saying while also suggesting that the profs might have been told to say Washington since they usually correct themselves pretty quickly.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Everyone knows who I am, including administrators and deans, soooo yeah. I've barely met any of the 1Ls and I've had like 3 or 4 ask me if I'm romo.

Yep, I'm the loser with the 11k+ TLS posts. 8)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”