WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
uchimata

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby uchimata » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Does anybody have experience with sprint as their cell carrier? I am considering switching to Sprint because they're going to be the only carrier left with unlimited data but I am wondering what the service is like in the law school and the areas surrounding campus.

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:24 pm

My brother has sprint, and he always seems to have inferior signal strength to me(Verizon)

Wooostl2012

Postby Wooostl2012 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:58 pm

uchimata wrote:Does anybody have experience with sprint as their cell carrier? I am considering switching to Sprint because they're going to be the only carrier left with unlimited data but I am wondering what the service is like in the law school and the areas surrounding campus.

I've never had issues with Sprint around campus or in St. Louis generally. In the building it can be a little spotty with calls, but I don't know if carrier gets good service in the library basement etc.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:37 am

If you guys have seen The Paper Chase, is there a professor with Kingsfield qualities?

Oban

Postby Oban » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 am

Well, I don't think anyone is that stodgy, but Greenfield comes close in terms of grilling during cold calls and he also teaches contracts, has been around forever, etc.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:07 am

uchimata wrote:Does anybody have experience with sprint as their cell carrier? I am considering switching to Sprint because they're going to be the only carrier left with unlimited data but I am wondering what the service is like in the law school and the areas surrounding campus.

I have had AT&T, Verizon, and Virgin (Sprint network) and none was any better or worse signal wise than the others. I really recommend Virgin because its so ridiculously much cheaper.

uchimata

Postby uchimata » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will probably go with sprint then.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm moving in tomorrow and just now got my cable appointment made for next Friday, so it looks like I'll be without internet/tv at my place for a week. Was wondering if I can just show up at the law school with my laptop and check my email/facebook/abovethelaw with the information I have now or if I'll have to go talk to IT or something. I have a Wash U email account. Is that going to be enough to get internet access at the law school? Is it just free for everyone?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Kabuo wrote:I'm moving in tomorrow and just now got my cable appointment made for next Friday, so it looks like I'll be without internet/tv at my place for a week. Was wondering if I can just show up at the law school with my laptop and check my email/facebook/abovethelaw with the information I have now or if I'll have to go talk to IT or something. I have a Wash U email account. Is that going to be enough to get internet access at the law school? Is it just free for everyone?
There's a guest WiFi network. Not as fast and secure as the real one though, but if you talk to someone in IT or maybe even the registrar's office they'll probably get you set up. There are Ethernet plugins around as well. Alternatively, if you have your WUSTL key and password plus your student ID, you may be able to get into the computer lab on the second floor in the library already.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I'm moving in tomorrow and just now got my cable appointment made for next Friday, so it looks like I'll be without internet/tv at my place for a week. Was wondering if I can just show up at the law school with my laptop and check my email/facebook/abovethelaw with the information I have now or if I'll have to go talk to IT or something. I have a Wash U email account. Is that going to be enough to get internet access at the law school? Is it just free for everyone?
There's a guest WiFi network. Not as fast and secure as the real one though, but if you talk to someone in IT or maybe even the registrar's office they'll probably get you set up. There are Ethernet plugins around as well. Alternatively, if you have your WUSTL key and password plus your student ID, you may be able to get into the computer lab on the second floor in the library already.

Thanks for this. The guest one sounds ok for my purposes, but I might as well get everything set up I guess. Don't have a student ID yet, but I should probably get on that too.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Kabuo wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Thanks for this. The guest one sounds ok for my purposes, but I might as well get everything set up I guess. Don't have a student ID yet, but I should probably get on that too.
Takes 5 minutes, do it when you head over to the library - the place to get them is next door. NP, nothing worse than not having internet access. /addict

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:47 pm

I've been to the school a few times for the same reason... no wifi set up at the apartment yet. No need to use the guest network, your WUSTL key + password will log you into the main network. It's called WUFI-S, FYI.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:40 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I've been to the school a few times for the same reason... no wifi set up at the apartment yet. No need to use the guest network, your WUSTL key + password will log you into the main network. It's called WUFI-S, FYI.

Even better, thanks.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:41 pm

How are the below-median students doing?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:43 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:How are the below-median students doing?

They are all still alive, I think. I'm not sure any of them would identify themselves here since we (incoming 2Ls) have outted each other to a certain extent.

Most people got something for 1L summer, to my knowledge. Most unpaid.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I got my top choice internship 1L summer and one of my top choices 2L year, but I am doing public defender so grades are much less important. I was probably around bottom 20% after 1L and probably about 50-55% now. We'll see what I line up for permanent employment; I will probably make a thread here once I receive and accept an offer.

PSUFB1114

Postby PSUFB1114 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 am

Anyone have experience with a good Barber and/or Tailor in the general area?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:49 am

PSUFB1114 wrote:Anyone have experience with a good Barber and/or Tailor in the general area?

Cutters is where almost every 2L guy I know goes to get their haircut. It is in the basement of the Chase. You get a beer, a haircut, and a shampoo. Very classy.

The best tailor in the area is Brentwood Tailoring, IMO. Their reviews online are incredible (almost exclusively 5 stars), and they have done well with my stuff.

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:09 am

PSUFB1114 wrote:Anyone have experience with a good Barber and/or Tailor in the general area?

I go to Strands, which is on Demun (a couple of blocks south of campus). Kevin and his wife own the place, and Kevin does a great job without busting the bank.

Edit: No beer at Strands, as far as I know. I guess that's a nice perk over at Cutters.

Oban

Postby Oban » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Half the class is median and below, but half of the class doesn't seem suicidial. Yet. I think for 1L jobs grades only were a huge factor if you were gunning for a Biglawl SA or working as an RA for a Prof. The most common job among people I know is working as a judicial extern. And we have people working at a wide variety of courts, from the 9th circuit and the DC district, to rural Shelbyville type courts. People had a wide variety of grades and were successful. Every single person I know decently well in my section did something lawl related this summer.

Honestly, If i think I could do it all over and choose the perfect 1L job(aside from biglaw SA) I'd do a study abroad. So far in interviewing I've talked to a bunch of partners and associates who did an international program their 1L summer and it was a huge plus in 2L OCI and recruiting. A lot of people wanted to talk about my UG study abroad as well. This feedback seemed to go against the classic TLS trope: "lulz study a broad is for teh people who kant get real jerbs"

Also, you may not have much time to travel the first few years or so when you start working.

PSUFB1114

Postby PSUFB1114 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Cutters is where almost every 2L guy I know goes to get their haircut. It is in the basement of the Chase. You get a beer, a haircut, and a shampoo. Very classy.

The best tailor in the area is Brentwood Tailoring, IMO. Their reviews online are incredible (almost exclusively 5 stars), and they have done well with my stuff.

Sounds amazing, thanks! Strands doesn't sound like a bad deal either. I'll definitely look into both.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Can anyone comment on Degeest for Ks, Goldwasser for torts or Drobak for property?
Last edited by TatteredDignity on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:12 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Can anyone comment on Degeest for Ks?

I really enjoyed his class and thought he was a great professor. As opposed to the other contracts professors, he focuses on the economics of contract law instead of forcing you to memorize sections of the UCC.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:16 pm

mlipsco wrote:

I really enjoyed his class and thought he was a great professor. As opposed to the other contracts professors, he focuses on the economics of contract law instead of forcing you to memorize sections of the UCC.

So, would you say he's more policy-focused?

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:18 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
mlipsco wrote:

So, would you say he's more policy-focused?

Definitely. And he likes to compare U.S. policy to those in other countries. Some people in our class did not enjoy this aspect, but I found it interesting.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”