WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Oban

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby Oban » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 am

During undergrad I opted out of my schools program(which was kind of a scam) because I was insured under my mothers plan, then in my third year, she randomly decided to quit her job, leaving me uninsured. I picked that exact moment to become injured/sick and rack up bills.

It never hurts to be over-insured, but yeah i fell your pain. The schools, plan kind of sucks too, its a great way to make money off of the "young immortals" kind of like how law school is...

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:27 am

Oban wrote:During undergrad I opted out of my schools program(which was kind of a scam) because I was insured under my mothers plan, then in my third year, she randomly decided to quit her job, leaving me uninsured. I picked that exact moment to become injured/sick and rack up bills.

It never hurts to be over-insured, but yeah i fell your pain. The schools, plan kind of sucks too, its a great way to make money off of the "young immortals" kind of like how law school is...

As someone that had a 30,000 dollar procedure during my first semester at law school, I will tell you the plan doesn't suck. 3k out of pocket saved my live as opposed to being uninsured.

just sayin'

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 am

Wash U health insurance is like $500 a year lol, you won't even notice it in your $84,000 tuition bill.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:54 am

seatown12 wrote:Wash U health insurance is like $500 a year lol, you won't even notice it in your $84,000 tuition bill.

$500 is $500. Except when it's in loans, it's $1000.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:14 pm

You guys kill me. Trust me, it's only on your mind because you have nothing else to think about at the moment. When 1L kicks you in the teeth this is the last thing you'll think about.

Well... unless it's a literal kick inthe teeth cause I don't think dental is awesome on the plan haha!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm

fl0w wrote:You guys kill me. Trust me, it's only on your mind because you have nothing else to think about at the moment. When 1L kicks you in the teeth this is the last thing you'll think about.

...and after 1L is done, you'll get your 2L tuition bill (which will naturally be more expensive after the univerity jacks up tuition despite the legal recession) and your grades, and you'll look at both...and $500 for health insurance won't even show up on your radar.

:twisted:

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:37 pm

fl0w wrote:
Oban wrote:During undergrad I opted out of my schools program(which was kind of a scam) because I was insured under my mothers plan, then in my third year, she randomly decided to quit her job, leaving me uninsured. I picked that exact moment to become injured/sick and rack up bills.

As someone that had a 30,000 dollar procedure during my first semester at law school, I will tell you the plan doesn't suck. 3k out of pocket saved my live as opposed to being uninsured.

just sayin'

Yes, for anyone without insurance, its a great thing. But for anyone who is now double insured (like me) its rather pointless.

PSUFB1114

Postby PSUFB1114 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Kind of ridiculous if you ask me, especially since most of us coming straight from undergrad are now covered under our parents insurance until age 26. I can think of a million ways I would rather spend the $500, but enough bitching; moving on...I know the gym situation has been covered twice now, but I'm still confused as to whether or not there is any cardio equipment available w/o paying the $35? I'm also curious where the gym is located, and if we'll have access prior to the beginning of the semester.

Thanks in advance!

840e

Postby 840e » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Last edited by 840e on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:59 pm

840e wrote:in terms of applying to summer jobs and then sending your resume out for 2l (non oci) interview possibilities, how long does wash u typically take to get grades back to you post exams?

Usually about a month from the end of finals. This past fall it took a little longer for no apparent reason. Some grades you will get sooner if the prof actually bothers to do his grading before the last possible second.

camstant

Postby camstant » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:36 pm

840e wrote:in terms of applying to summer jobs and then sending your resume out for 2l (non oci) interview possibilities, how long does wash u typically take to get grades back to you post exams?

forever.

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 pm

PSUFB1114 wrote:Kind of ridiculous if you ask me, especially since most of us coming straight from undergrad are now covered under our parents insurance until age 26. I can think of a million ways I would rather spend the $500, but enough bitching; moving on...I know the gym situation has been covered twice now, but I'm still confused as to whether or not there is any cardio equipment available w/o paying the $35? I'm also curious where the gym is located, and if we'll have access prior to the beginning of the semester.

Thanks in advance!

They're about as bad as it gets. There's middle schools with better facilities. There's a crappy weight room that you get to use for free. There is also a pool for use during certain times and bball courts. All in all, the fitness facilities kind of suck. To top it all off, the main facilities are closed for two weeks at the moment. So I went to the South 40 which has a fitness room and they wouldn't let me in, even with a pass to the fitness room at the main center. He told me my best bet was to buy a summer pass for $40 bucks for the 2 weeks - no thanks, chief.

And I totally agree with you on the insurance thing.

uchimata

Postby uchimata » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:02 pm

I haven't seen the school gym yet but there are a ton of gyms around campus that you can pay a monthly fee to join. I will probably join one that is literally next door to my apartment out of sheer convenience. You can check out wherever you are living in google maps and search nearby for gym and you will probably see over 10 gyms within a mile.

tls_je

Postby tls_je » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Is the law building a WIFI hotspot?

And do you guys have your own printer? I'm not sure whether I should get one or just use ones in the school.

Thanks!

myq

Postby myq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:15 pm

tls_je wrote:Is the law building a WIFI hotspot?

And do you guys have your own printer? I'm not sure whether I should get one or just use ones in the school.

Thanks!

There's WiFi throughout the law building and the WUSTL campus in general.

I print everything at school, you can set up your laptop to print to the school printers over the WiFi, and every students gets some printing credit - mine never ran out.

blackmambakatana

Postby blackmambakatana » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:10 am

For rising 2Ls -

Who were your favorite profs during 1L?

What are the law exams like and was is the best way to prepare for them for your 1L Prof?

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

Peggie Smith is a Goddess, shes really straightforward and gives you a lot of info. Keep it all straight and youll be fine.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 am

Kim and Tamanaha are awesome.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Scott baker and it's not even close.

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Some people love Greenfield, some think he's meh. Nearly everyone loves Drobak.

myq

Postby myq » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Greenfield and Kim

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Romo, how far east do you need to go before you're west?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

nyyankees wrote:Peggie Smith is a Goddess, shes really straightforward and gives you a lot of info. Keep it all straight and youll be fine.

Totally agree. Peggy Smith hands down.

I liked Drobak too, but P. Smitty needs to win the teacher of the year award for WUSTL just like she did at Iowa. Plus, she was the only teacher that actually had a clue as to how to grade a law school exam objectively.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 pm

JCougar wrote:
nyyankees wrote:Peggie Smith is a Goddess, shes really straightforward and gives you a lot of info. Keep it all straight and youll be fine.

Totally agree. Peggy Smith hands down.

I liked Drobak too, but P. Smitty needs to win the teacher of the year award for WUSTL just like she did at Iowa. Plus, she was the only teacher that actually had a clue as to how to grade a law school exam objectively.

:roll:

So it is objective when you get a good grade, but a steaming pile of arbitrary nonsense when you don't?

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Oban wrote:Some people love Greenfield, some think he's meh. Nearly everyone loves Drobak.

Drobak is the man. I've heard hes still figuring out how to teach property, but he knows civ pro COLD.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”