WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
regulartime

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by regulartime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:07 pm

JCougar wrote:Also, I see little reason to go to SLU over WUSTL unless it's close to a full ride at SLU versus sticker at WUSTL.

People around STL really fawn over WUSTL...they treat it like it's Harvard. The reason why STL firms don't hire WUSTL students is because they think you're a flight risk to move to cooler cities after you get 1-2 years of experience (because you can)...not because it's not prestigious enough.

I know SLU people that lived in STL all their lives and basically have given up on being a lawyer at this point. SLU is a huge TTT. You're still not going to get Biglaw from WUSTL if you're from STL but below the top third, but there's a bunch of shitlaw firms in this city that will hire you without even asking for your transcript. The same can't be said of SLU. SLU is not a good bet even for being a lawyer at all.
The bolded definitely make sense. I feel like my good scholarship to Wash U almost makes this a no brainer, but free at SLU is hard to beat if, and its a big IF, SLU will get me employed. It doesn't help that I'm not sure I can swing Wash U financially even with the scholarship.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Thank you hoos89 and JCougar for answering my question.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 pm

What's the least amount of money one should take for wustl?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:55 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:What's the least amount of money one should take for wustl?
Well, you're at 60k to stay alive, so I'm going to say 150k.

No one should pay for law school.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:24 pm

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 pm

sublime wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:What's the least amount of money one should take for wustl?
Well, you're at 60k to stay alive, so I'm going to say 150k.

No one should pay for law school.
Kind of easy to say in our position, bro.
True. But looking at the outcomes being described by Hoos and other 3Ls ITT for the bottom 2/3s of the class, stacking up an extra 60k on top of undergrad debt starts looking pretty questionable by itself.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:53 pm

TCR is to take a few years off after undergrad, get hitched, have COL paid for.

I left WUSTl with ~$35k in debt via this method. And I kinda like her, to boot.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Did anybody say anything about undergrad debt? There are definitely people who should pay for law school, including WUSTL. How much depends on a lot of factors. If you're from STL, you should be willing to take out more debt than if not (all else equal). If your parents are helping out or you have a spouse covering your living expenses (ETA: scooped), then you don't really need a full scholarship. If you have no prospects, a bad GPA, and have maxed your LSAT, then WUSTL can make sense on a partial scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm

COL covered. No UG debt. No ties, but not picky about location. Midwest, North of Cali (Oregon/Washington), NYC, Florida, whatever. Have lower-interest loan sources available (relative to the fed loans, which are like 7-8%?). What's my bottom line? Unknown prospects, bad GPA (like really bad), high LSAT (172). Regardless of how much they offer, what would be a reasonable amount for me to ask for?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Honestly I think you need to figure out what your starting point is, which you won't know until you have already received your admissions and scholarship decisions from a decent number of schools (particularly WUSTL). I also wouldn't just come out and quote them a number right away (because it might be lower than they're willing to offer). Come back when you've got some offers on the table and hopefully we'll be able to help you.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:51 pm

hoos89 wrote:Honestly I think you need to figure out what your starting point is, which you won't know until you have already received your admissions and scholarship decisions from a decent number of schools (particularly WUSTL). I also wouldn't just come out and quote them a number right away (because it might be lower than they're willing to offer). Come back when you've got some offers on the table and hopefully we'll be able to help you.
Yea they'll make you an offer (which should be good with your LSAT score) and you would just try to negotiate up from there.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:55 pm

hoos89 wrote:Did anybody say anything about undergrad debt? There are definitely people who should pay for law school, including WUSTL. How much depends on a lot of factors. If you're from STL, you should be willing to take out more debt than if not (all else equal). If your parents are helping out or you have a spouse covering your living expenses (ETA: scooped), then you don't really need a full scholarship. If you have no prospects, a bad GPA, and have maxed your LSAT, then WUSTL can make sense on a partial scholarship.
I went a little overboard there, but like every other law student, the shit looks a lot scarier when it's your ass on the line. So far, everything's working out, but I feel for the half** of the class that is going to graduate without a job. I'm sure most of them will be fine eventually, but that has got to suck.

**Represents the percentage of all 2012 graduates who had a full-time job lasting at least a year for which bar passage was required or a J.D. degree was an advantage. These employment rates are part of the data on placement success used to determine a school’s ranking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:53 pm

I would be shocked if our EE stats are as low as they were for 2012 grads. People who graduated from '09-12/13 got hard fucked by the crash. I feel like hiring has picked back up. While it's not 2006 hiring, it is better than it was just a few years ago.

I'll be interested to see where my class ends up, because a vast majority of people I know have either a clerkship or a mid-to-large firm job lined up. I also know these is hugely anecdotal, and I'm sure there are people who I have mentally in my "has a job lined up" category but that isn't the case because people without jobs are hardly outspoken about it.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:32 pm

I think c/o 2014 stats are coming out in the next month or so (9 month reporting deadline is February 16, but who knows how long after that it'll take the school to post them). I'll be interested to see whether their stats are markedly better than c/o 2013.

georgej

Gold

Post by georgej » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:TCR is to take a few years off after undergrad, get hitched, have COL paid for.

Best advice in the whole damn thread right here.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:13 pm

georgej wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:TCR is to take a few years off after undergrad, get hitched, have COL paid for.

Best advice in the whole damn thread right here.
Marrying the woman of my dreams was the best damn decision I ever made. If you have to ask if she's the one... she isn't.

If she is, you're an idiot if you don't do whatever it takes to keep her.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote: Marrying the woman of my dreams was the best damn decision I ever made. If you have to ask if she's the one... she isn't.

If she is, you're an idiot if you don't do whatever it takes to keep her.
preach

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:57 am

I can't get married here, but that's probably for the best tbh

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:59 am

scottidsntknow wrote:I can't get married here, but that's probably for the best tbh
Yes you can.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 am

^^ Sorry to change the subject there, but have you met anyone at WUSTL who is coming out with ~$100,000+ (including CoL + undergrad loans*) who wants to do gov'tal or PI work, but is relying on this golden formula to repay the loans:

WUSTL's LRAP / PSLF + IBR ? (Is this fwt or nay?)

Thanks !!
(that was a strange question, but I studied WUSTL's LRAP and I noticed that WUSTL offers a very generous LRAP--much more generous than some other schools that I've gotten into)

* I have more than average undergrad loans. D;

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:49 am

Oh I didn't know our LRAP was any good, I guess I should look at that. If anything I guess just compare that with PAYE.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:54 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Oh I didn't know our LRAP was any good, I guess I should look at that. If anything I guess just compare that with PAYE.
Is PAYE the one payment program where there is a tax bomb?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:15 am

LawsRUs wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Oh I didn't know our LRAP was any good, I guess I should look at that. If anything I guess just compare that with PAYE.
Yeah, I'm not sure what happens for PI people though since I've never thought about PI.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:21 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what happens for PI people though since I've never thought about PI.
o i c. i'll go look into it. thanks for letting me know about PAYE--I totally forgot about that one. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”