WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Gold

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by hoos89 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:46 pm

sublime wrote:
Yea. This is the second write-on with the top 5% cutoff (mine was the last one at 10%). Although rumors, they are from someone who would know, and I trust, but LR thought they were getting shitty people and were tired of so many people just completely mailing write on in, so they convinced the secondaries that it was in the secondaries' best interest to cut it to top 5%. Really, all that did though was give LR more flexibility to pick exactly who they wanted.
I was on the board of a secondary that year and this wasn't a discussion we had at the board level. I'm not sure what happened but I somewhat doubt that the secondaries thought this would be in their best interest. I'm curious whether firms have realized that grade-on is now top 5%, or whether they assume that anyone in the top 6-10% who didn't make it either didn't do write-on or didn't submit a good faith application.

Also I do know a couple people without any journal who got a big firm job. I'm really not sure how important it is, but it's just one of those things that I personally wouldn't want to risk. If there was even a CHANCE that it would net me an offer from a big firm, it's something I would consider mandatory. Even a secondary journal can help avoid the dreaded "why aren't you on a journal" question. I actually did get a couple "why aren't you on LR" questions in OCI, which was fun (I don't think I got any callbacks from someone who asked that, although maybe they only asked because the interview was already going poorly). Also I think at least one interviewer confused my journal with LR so there's that.
Last edited by hoos89 on Wed May 11, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 11, 2016 3:08 pm

typicalsplitter

New

Post by typicalsplitter » Wed May 11, 2016 4:32 pm

FWIW, the given explanation for moving to 5% was that with such a large class size, it would be unfair to fill so many law review slots with people who graded on. But that no longer makes sense because c/o 2018 is normal-sized.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed May 11, 2016 6:33 pm

So I ended up sucking it up today and put in a solid day of work and actually feel great about where I am now. Sorry for being such a baby about it. TRULY appreciate the encouragement from you all yesterday

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Wed May 11, 2016 9:19 pm

yeah idk why people used all the cases

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 11, 2016 9:25 pm

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Fri May 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Ok now that write on is over, are we allowed to discuss it? I'm hoping for confirmation that I wrote on the write issue

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Mandy is up! Lightning fast...it's only been a week.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Fri May 13, 2016 6:40 pm

sublime wrote:Although there are exceptions, at least from WUSTL, I view journals as pretty much required for firm jobs, especially unless you have some other plus (really good grades, IP, URM, great WE etc). I am sure there is someone, I can't think of anybody in my class (c/o 2016) with a desirable firm job that isn't on a journal, and many of those people are on LR, although I do know people with desirable non-firm jobs that didn't do journal.

Conventional wisdom on this site may be that secondaries are not important, but we aren't at a school like NYU (just randomly picked) where we can opt out of the journal process and it probably won't matter.

Of course, I am sure there is someone in my class that is an exception and it is somewhat firm dependent, but if you want to work at a firm, you should write on, preferably to LR (especially if your grades are borderline for competitive with firms)

I waited to post this after write on.

But for all those who did not do write on journals are not a necessity. In my group of friends I know at least five people with new firm jobs who didn't do write on.

A couple of my friends without journal had 20+ screeners as non-IP/URM K-JDs while being right around the 25% mark.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 13, 2016 6:43 pm

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:09 pm

That is very comforting, thanks!

I waited to post this after write on.

But for all those who did not do write on journals are not a necessity. In my group of friends I know at least five people with new firm jobs who didn't do write on.

A couple of my friends without journal had 20+ screeners as non-IP/URM K-JDs while being right around the 25% mark.[/quote]

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Sat May 14, 2016 5:58 pm

robert88 wrote:Mandy is up! Lightning fast...it's only been a week.
There's no way that at his age he graded those thoroughly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat May 14, 2016 7:38 pm

RareExports wrote:
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun May 15, 2016 7:17 pm

RareExports wrote:
From what I heard he only taught 1 section, and the word limit on his exams was 1500.

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Watching the Western Conference Finals and excited to go to law school in a city with NHL. What would you say is the breakdown of fans by team at WUSTL? Mostly Blues fans? How many insufferable Blackhawks fans? Thank you for answering what is probably the most important inquiry in this thread yet.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:Watching the Western Conference Finals and excited to go to law school in a city with NHL. What would you say is the breakdown of fans by team at WUSTL? Mostly Blues fans? How many insufferable Blackhawks fans? Thank you for answering what is probably the most important inquiry in this thread yet.

We had some excellent back and forth shit talking between some Blackhawks fan students and a couple Blues fan profs in class.

Most WUSTL students don't care about hockey, but among those that do, Blues dominates, then an assortment of other teams, since WUSTL draws nationally.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun May 15, 2016 9:14 pm

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Sun May 15, 2016 9:15 pm

How terrible of an idea would season tickets be as a 1L?

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun May 15, 2016 9:21 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:How terrible of an idea would season tickets be as a 1L?
I mean, it's doable, but you'll have to budget the rest of your time very carefully so as to not fall behind. I probably wouldn't do it, but it's possible. The arena is about a 20-30 minute drive from campus (or a 15 minute train ride).

They won't be cheap, though. Blues tickets surprised me at their price for single games, and parking is a bitch around the arena.

w00kash

New

Post by w00kash » Sun May 15, 2016 9:32 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:How terrible of an idea would season tickets be as a 1L?
I would go with a mini plan instead. They have both a half season and 12 game plan. The bar scene is usually pretty fun on game days too so you could always supplement it with that to save some money and not commit yourself to 41 games.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:41 pm

I mean, there's always reselling seats you don't intend to use. In Buffalo you can more of less pay for your season tickets just by selling the ones to Toronto/Montreal games. Probably not as profitable in St. Louis, considering the lack of nearby Canadians, though.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 am

tsujimoto74 wrote:I mean, there's always reselling seats you don't intend to use. In Buffalo you can more of less pay for your season tickets just by selling the ones to Toronto/Montreal games. Probably not as profitable in St. Louis, considering the lack of nearby Canadians, though.
If ever you need a Canadian interested in attending a game, I'm your guy

aspire2esquire

New

Post by aspire2esquire » Mon May 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Best coffee shops in STL to study in?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon May 16, 2016 5:09 pm

aspire2esquire wrote:Best coffee shops in STL to study in?
I like Cafe Ventana over by SLU and I know a number of my classmates seem to enjoy it as well

A lot of people study at Kayak but it's usually pretty busy since it's literally across the street from campus

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”