WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jmart082

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:35 pm

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:Chemerinsky is a hornbook law hack who sells students a false narrative of black letter constitutional law, which doesn't exist. If you read his supplements you'll have no clue how the Supreme Court actually works and Satan will rule the Earth. Don't do it kids.
The only black letter in Constitutional Law is the composition of the Court along party lines, yes. The professors won't take that as an answer to exam question, though.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 pm

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:Chemerinsky is a hornbook law hack who sells students a false narrative of black letter constitutional law, which doesn't exist. If you read his supplements you'll have no clue how the Supreme Court actually works and Satan will rule the Earth. Don't do it kids.
Someone was in Con Law with Professor Law

whatwhatinthebutt

New

Post by whatwhatinthebutt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:17 pm

valen wrote:
At one point during class he analogized Chemerinsky to smack. Law was entertaining. Great class, but I think a lot of people missed how tongue-in-cheek he was.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:45 pm

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
At one point during class he analogized Chemerinsky to smack. Law was entertaining. Great class, but I think a lot of people missed how tongue-in-cheek he was.
This is somewhat akin to the terrible advice that Greenfield gave his students concerning the use of supplements in his class. He told the impressionable children to reread the entire book in preparation for the exam. It's fair to say that he was fucking with us.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:30 pm

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
Chemerinsky is like Sara Lee. It'll make a perfectly adequate 'B' cake, but never an A+ cake

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Joscellin wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
Chemerinsky is like Sara Lee. It'll make a perfectly adequate 'B' cake, but never an A+ cake
Yep, you've gotta milk the cow and churn the butter yourself. That microwavable stuff won't result in a quality cake. And he'll "easily" be able to tell the difference.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
This is somewhat akin to the terrible advice that Greenfield gave his students concerning the use of supplements in his class. He told the impressionable children to reread the entire book in preparation for the exam. It's fair to say that he was fucking with us.
It depends on your professor and the exam. I didn't touch a supplement for Greenfield and it was fine; a supplement would not have helped me. Granted, I'm not a heavy supplement user and firmly believe someone could CALI any exam without a supplement, but consulting one can give you the necessary background knowledge to get a deeper understanding.

Sara Lee won't tell you how to make an A+ cake, but she'll tell you that cakes need flour, egg, and milk.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:41 pm

For Greenfield, my year, he tested a few things that he glossed over in class that I definitely would not have known without Chirilstein. I was a heavy supplement user though.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:42 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
It depends on your professor and the exam. I didn't touch a supplement for Greenfield and it was fine; a supplement would not have helped me. Granted, I'm not a heavy supplement user and firmly believe someone could CALI any exam without a supplement, but consulting one can give you the necessary background knowledge to get a deeper understanding.

Sara Lee won't tell you how to make an A+ cake, but she'll tell you that cakes need flour, egg, and milk.

To quote Tamanaha, con law isn't even law so I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you need to to get a good grade and move on.
This is very true. If you do ever take a Con Law course with Richards though, just know that he lectures from Chemerinsky almost verbatim. Every professor is different.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:43 pm

sublime wrote:For Greenfield, my year, he tested a few things that he glossed over in class that I definitely would not have known without Chirilstein. I was a heavy supplement user though.
Chirelstein is CLUTCH for Ks. You can cram the subject in a week or so just by relying on this supplement and running through practice exams.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
sublime wrote:For Greenfield, my year, he tested a few things that he glossed over in class that I definitely would not have known without Chirilstein. I was a heavy supplement user though.
Chirelstein is CLUTCH for Ks. You can cram the subject in a week or so just by relying on this supplement and running through practice exams.
Unless you have De Geest :p

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
I had Law several years ago. At least on that test Chemerinsky would probably have been a waste of time, I guess if you were totally clueless it would have helped you get near median, but overall mostly useless.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
Ahh...De Geest and his beloved manifesto. I hear great things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
I actually found Chirelstein especially helpful for De Geest.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:22 pm

RareExports wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
I actually found Chirelstein especially helpful for De Geest.
Thought Acing K's was great for De Geest, as well as religiously studying that outline he provided.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Joscellin wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
Would you rather have a 'B' cake with some nice layers, or a 2.68 cake with a pile of shit on top of it?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 pm

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
Would you rather have a 'B' cake with some nice layers, or a 2.68 cake with a pile of shit on top of it?
Sounds like a good metaphor for the Presidential election. Good one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 pm

Joscellin wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
I'll keep my 'pay attention, read, and take good notes' 'A' cake, thanks.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
Easy on the cake buddy. You'll start looking like your avatar.

cm_burns

New

Post by cm_burns » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
I received an A- in con law heavily relying on Cherminsky, ass. There's no need to condescend, not everyone has the same study habits or learning style. You must be K-JD and not know you can get hurt over things like this in real life situations.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 pm

cm_burns wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
valen wrote:
I received an A- in con law heavily relying on Cherminsky, ass. There's no need to condescend, not everyone has the same study habits or learning style. You must be K-JD and not know you can get hurt over things like this in real life situations.
Isn't an A- basically median? Maybe they've killed the grade inflation since I graduated.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Yea, slightly above. They haven't changed anything since they switched to the GPA system from numbers.

Also, chill ppl arguing about supplements. I used supplements heavily and did well, other people don't and do well. There are people trying both ways who don't do well. People learn differently, it's not a big deal.

cm_burns

New

Post by cm_burns » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:34 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
Isn't an A- basically median? Maybe they've killed the grade inflation since I graduated.
Some of us are satisfied with median grades. Some of us aren't autistic gunners banking on biglaw giving meaning to their pathetic, miserable existences. Some of us have thousands of posts on Top-Law-Schools.com and live for percentile cutoffs.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:36 pm

cm_burns wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
Some of us are satisfied with median grades. Some of us aren't autistic gunners banking on biglaw giving meaning to their pathetic, miserable existences. Some of us have thousands of posts on Top-Law-Schools.com and live for percentile cutoffs.

You seem to be pretty angry bro. Try to relax.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:40 pm

cm_burns wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
I take it you're shooting for public interest work.

Things you are unlikely to get from Wustl at median:

Private firm job
Decent clerkship
In house job

What exactly is your goal at the end of the rainbow?
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”